Please I need help with potty training

Please I need help with potty training

I have 1 year old chiweenie. Her name is Nala, she is the sweetest dog I ever had. But I still have a problem with potty training.

After my hard time of going out for potty on cold winter with my previous dog, I have decided to train Nala to potty on wee wee pad. She learned to do that is during a day. But at night her poo is all over the floor. room and she is not Now I decided to go back and keep her in the cage at night with wee-wee pad next to her bed and I don't know if it's right step. What should I do to teach her to be good at night also?

Welcome to the forum Rosa! Is there a nightlight on in the room where the pad is for her? If not, she just might have trouble locating it.

If she is a year old and still not trained then you have to start over as if she were a small puppy. She is a small dog so you could litter box train her, if you don't want to do that they you must keep her crated when you can't watch her, very important to keep her on a feeding schedule and no food or water at least two hours before she goes in the crate for the night. At a year old she should have no problem holding it at night, or if she really has to go out she'll bark or fuss in the night and you take her out whether she goes or not put her back in the crate, she needs to learn to hold it and most dogs will not go where they sleep. You have to make the crate small, just enough room for her to stand, turn around and lie down. If the crate is to big she can go in another part of the crate where she can get away from it.

teach her words like "outside" and "go potty" say "outside" take her to where you want her to go and say "go potty" stay with her until she goes then give her a treat and praise. Do not scold or punish her if she has an accident, just clean it up and move on, if you scold her she will find corners to go in where you can't see her. At her age she should have been fully trained long ago, now you need to start all over and teach her the right way and where its acceptable to go. Leash her to to you, at regular intervals say "outside" take her out and tell her to "go potty" she'll catch on probably quicker than you think.

If its only at night that's the problem feed her earlier, make sure she goes before you go to bed. What doesn't go in doesn't have to come out. In your case I would not free feed. Give her meals at regular time and get her on a schedule of eating and pooping.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Hello Alpha, may be this is a reason of our problems. The room is not completely dark, but it might be it's dark enough for my dog to locate her potty. Thank you, I will try now to keep a light on at night. Thank you

After working at a vet clinic for many years, I've found that crate training works best... all pee pee pads really do is teach your dog to pee in the house in a designated area. It really becomes difficult to train them to go outside at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa View Post
    Hello Alpha, may be this is a reason of our problems. The room is not completely dark, but it might be it's dark enough for my dog to locate her potty. Thank you, I will try now to keep a light on at night. Thank you
    Good luck with the added lighting, maybe there's some noises in the room that might be scary in the dark, like in a kitchen it might be the refrigerator starting and stopping, etc.

Hello everyone, thank you for your efforts to help me with potty problems I have with Nala. It's 2 nights already she sleaps in the cage which is divided like the bedroom and the bathroom. Also I keep all night a deem light on. Looks like all of us happy. No more mess. During a day she is free out of cage, just goes in to her bathroom.

Thanks for the update Rosa, I have a cage and tried crate training, but it's not for me (or my pup), regular house training with newspapers in kitchen at night until they were trained to use the back yard. Limited freedom in the house while supervised, then full house when reliably trained. Been using this technique for decades and has worked well for me, we always got newspaper delivery, so we never had to buy pads.

Alpha, you are absolutely right with the news papers for training purposes, but since my kitchen is very small and my pops place right in living room with hard wood floors where I have a potty tray with wee wee pad on it. My pop is very small dog and pees a little, so I don't need much of pads for a day.

Hi CiCi Elle, my pop used to be in the cage while I was training her, then we decided that she is ok to be free. But unfortunately she could not deal with her poo, spreading it around a room at night. Now we are back in the cage, and with
    advise of Forum members we are doing better. We'll see how it goes. Hopefully my baby will learn ��

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.