Broken meow??

Broken meow??

Hi everyone, I'm hoping for some feedback as to why my 10-year-old cat has not been meowing. I really only noticed it tonight, but when I really thought about it I realized that it's been maybe 2 days since I last heard her meow. I have had her for the full 10 years, and recently adopted a kitten almost a month ago. I'll occasionally get a silent meow if she is just waking up but that's not what's been happening. It's like every time she tries to meow there's hardly any sound at all. Has anyone experienced this? She seems to be doing just fine besides her lost meow. Eating and drinking normally, using her litter box, sleeping...

Welcome to the forum!

I laughed at the thread title.

A couple questions:

1. What is the cat's name?
    2. Does she usually have a loud meow?

My first thought was severe weakness. When my 19-year old cat was dying, she could not yell anymore and her purr was barely audible. However, she had CRF so it was a gradual change.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

I really hope that's not the case! Her name is Leilani. She's usually pretty vocal. I haven't noticed any other changes apart from her meow. She's doesn't seem uncomfortable or unwell. She isn't hiding. She's even a little playful with my new kitten (she's never been very playful).

Some cats would rather play with other cats than toys.

Leilani might just be meowing too much and need to give her vocal chords a break.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Hi TahneeLee, welcome to the forum! Leilani is a very sweet name. I was thinking at first that she might have a respiratory infection that was affecting her voice, but if there's no signs of illness maybe that's not the case. My cat has various meows, but there are times when his are silent too. They seem to mean the same thing as the ones you can hear, like pet me, time for dinner or just hello.

Good to know that she's playing with the kitten and their getting along. If it were my cat, I probably wouldn't be too concerned unless there were symptoms of a cold or other illness.

I agree with Alpha and I wouldn't panic if Leilani is doing well overall. Some cats just go through phases and this is her quiet one. Also WELCOME
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.