Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Please I need help with potty training

Please I need help with potty training

Hello all, I have a 4-month-old Poo-chon, he grew up well and everything goes smoothly except toileting

We have set up a dog toilet outside his crate, but he never pees or poops on the designated area
    I tried to carry him to the toilet every time he came out from the crate, but he refused to stay on the toilet, and left instantly
    I am still looking for ways to solve this problem as it has caused some stress over me and my family, can anyone please kindly suggest some ways to potty-train him?? (playpen is not really feasible in my house as its not big enough to accommodate a pen)

PuppyTraining

Firstoff, what are you feeding? I feed raw but any HIGH Quality grainfree dog food will work.

He needs to be in a crate when you can’t watch him, the crate has to be small, just big enough for him to lay down and turn around in. If the crate is to big he will potty in a corner and be able to get away from it. They are naturally clean and he will hold it if he can’t get away from it, But you must be fair, a young dog can only hold it for one hour for each month he is old. In the crate he will fuss or bark when he has to go out. If he goes in his crate the crate is to big or he’s been left alone for two long and he is unable to hold it.

Take some of his poop out with you and put it in the place you want him to go. Same for pee, take a rag you have wiped up previous accidents with and use that also. Use a word like “outside” or go potty. Stay with him until he goes then praise, praise praise and give a treat. Let him run around for a bit them praise him again and bring him back inside.
    He is a baby, he will have accidents in the house Do NOT scold him,just pick him up and say “outside:” he will come to associate the word with going out to do his business. If you scold him or punish him he will be afraid to go in front of you and will look for places to go where you can’t see him.

Schedule is Very important. You must feed him at certain times every day. A young pup should be fed three times a day. Take him out within 15+20 minutes of eating. Again say “go potty” and stay out with him until he goes, then again praise and treats. He will have to go out to piddle after he drinks, plays or wakes from a nap If you see him start to sniff around or circling he’s telling you he needs to go out. Listen to him. Even if he doesn’t go he’s learning.

Pickup all food and water at least two hours before bed time. Take him out one more time before you go to bed then put him in his crate. If he fusses ignore him. They are like children, if he realizes that fussing gets him out of the crate you are in for problems. You are the boss, he has to learn the rules. Only take him out if he fusses if you think he has to go out.
    I would not train him to puppy pads. You will just have to retrain him later. Bad idea. Do it right, get it done then you don’t have to worry about it. I’ve had pups trained in as little as three weeks. Not to the point where I’d leave them unattended but they are getting the idea and will let you know when they need to go out.

Itis not hard, you just need to be consistent and be fair, he’s justa baby and he needs to be taught what you want him to do.

he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    PuppyTraining

Firstoff, what are you feeding? I feed raw but any HIGH Quality grainfree dog food will work.

He needs to be in a crate when you can’t watch him, the crate has to be small, just big enough for him to lay down and turn around in. If the crate is to big he will potty in a corner and be able to get away from it. They are naturally clean and he will hold it if he can’t get away from it, But you must be fair, a young dog can only hold it for one hour for each month he is old. In the crate he will fuss or bark when he has to go out. If he goes in his crate the crate is to big or he’s been left alone for two long and he is unable to hold it.

Take some of his poop out with you and put it in the place you want him to go. Same for pee, take a rag you have wiped up previous accidents with and use that also. Use a word like “outside” or go potty. Stay with him until he goes then praise, praise praise and give a treat. Let him run around for a bit them praise him again and bring him back inside.
    He is a baby, he will have accidents in the house Do NOT scold him,just pick him up and say “outside:” he will come to associate the word with going out to do his business. If you scold him or punish him he will be afraid to go in front of you and will look for places to go where you can’t see him.

Schedule is Very important. You must feed him at certain times every day. A young pup should be fed three times a day. Take him out within 15+20 minutes of eating. Again say “go potty” and stay out with him until he goes, then again praise and treats. He will have to go out to piddle after he drinks, plays or wakes from a nap If you see him start to sniff around or circling he’s telling you he needs to go out. Listen to him. Even if he doesn’t go he’s learning.

Pickup all food and water at least two hours before bed time. Take him out one more time before you go to bed then put him in his crate. If he fusses ignore him. They are like children, if he realizes that fussing gets him out of the crate you are in for problems. You are the boss, he has to learn the rules. Only take him out if he fusses if you think he has to go out.
    I would not train him to puppy pads. You will just have to retrain him later. Bad idea. Do it right, get it done then you don’t have to worry about it. I’ve had pups trained in as little as three weeks. Not to the point where I’d leave them unattended but they are getting the idea and will let you know when they need to go out.

Itis not hard, you just need to be consistent and be fair, he’s justa baby and he needs to be taught what you want him to do.

First of all, appreciated your reply
    My dog is now feeding with Castor and Pollux Organix, he has normal bowel habits
    I think the major problem for my dog is:
    1. He will sometimes misinterpret the dog toilet as a place for entertainment
    2. I did spray some urine-like spray on the peepad, he will go there and sniff and circling a few cycles then go pee on a non-designated area
    What should I do if i witness my dog peeing, should I take him up and interrupt his urination/defecation and put him to the designated area??
    If I let him unattended in the crate, he will keep on barking, what should I do to stop him from barking?

By the end he finishes all the required vaccination, I plan to take him out 2-3 times per week, will he be confused about indoor and outdoor potty training at that time?

why do you want him to potty in the house? Its not a good idea to train for indoor then have to retrain for outdoors. If he barks in the crate ignore him. When he realizes barking or whining will not get him what he wants he will stop. Don't give in, if you do he'll know if he keeps it up he'll get his way. He wants attention and negative attention is better than no attention. Don't give him what he wants, he'll stop.

He is a baby is is teething, I suggest you get him an antler, get one with the points on it, a flat one could slide down his throat, give him the antler in his crate, this will give him something to chew on and keep him amused, they are very hard and will last a long time. When he starts biting on your fingers or something else he shouldn't be chewing just redirect him to the antler.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

If you catch him squatting or peeing where he shouldn't pick him up, say "outside" and "go potty". He'll get the idea

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    If you catch him squatting or peeing where he shouldn't pick him up, say "outside" and "go potty". He'll get the idea
    He still cannot correlate go potty with peeing in the toilet, sometimes he just left the toilet and pee outside

As i cannot take him out very frequently, so I choose to indoor train him a bit first

What should I do if i witness my dog peeing, should I take him up and interrupt his urination/defecation and put him to the designated area??
    Yes, that's exactly what you should do, I did it with my puppies in the past when paper training them and it works very well. Pick them up right away, even in mid-stream, rush him over to the pad and calmly but firmly tell him something like "You go here!". Best not to shout or scold him, and never hit him when training. It takes patience on your part, but well worth it!

After I trained my dogs this way, and they were fully house trained and went to the bathroom in the backyard, I went back to work. Some of my shifts turned out to be over 8 hours, so I would put some newspaper in the basement in the laundry room, on the cement floor, just in case they had an issue and they couldn't hold their urine/feces. It was only used once, I came home and it was wet, I was very happy that I gave my dogs an option.

I think you are making a mistake training him to go in the house but if you insist on doing so litter box train him. Use the same steps I gave you for outdoor training but use a litter box

Not sure if this is still available in stores, but it's another option aside from pads and litter. http://www.petforums.com/showthread....tificial+grass

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Yes, that's exactly what you should do, I did it with my puppies in the past when paper training them and it works very well. Pick them up right away, even in mid-stream, rush him over to the pad and calmly but firmly tell him something like "You go here!". Best not to shout or scold him, and never hit him when training. It takes patience on your part, but well worth it!

After I trained my dogs this way, and they were fully house trained and went to the bathroom in the backyard, I went back to work. Some of my shifts turned out to be over 8 hours, so I would put some newspaper in the basement in the laundry room, on the cement floor, just in case they had an issue and they couldn't hold their urine/feces. It was only used once, I came home and it was wet, I was very happy that I gave my dogs an option.
    Surprisingly, my dog started to pee on the toilet today for 3 consecutive times correctly, I think we are on the right track now will keep update his condition here

Quote Originally Posted by tokiboy View Post
    Surprisingly, my dog started to pee on the toilet today for 3 consecutive times correctly, I think we are on the right track now will keep update his condition here
    Sounds great, hope it continues, looking forward to some positive updates.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Sounds great, hope it continues, looking forward to some positive updates.
    Hmm... my dog started to pee around again... my dog tends to sniff and circle in the toilet, but not peeing on it..

I guess the only thing you can try is changing the toilet completely to something new and interesting?

how can i change the toilet to something new and interesting?

train him to use a litter box

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.