Hello All: Glad to be a part!

Smile Hello All: Glad to be a part!

Hello everyone!

I am excited to join this community. I love animals and have had pets my whole life, dogs, cats, birds, guinea pigs, and fish. I currently have two cats named Devon (male) and Tippy (female) and will be looking to rescue a dog from a shelter in the near future once I move somewhere bigger that allows dogs.

Along with all this I also am starting my own pet product company. I will be launching my first product within the next couple of months on Amazon. My brand name is FluffHeadZ because that is what I always call my two crazy cats at home.

Anyways I am here to learn from the community and contribute where I can.

A couple opening questions I have is: does anyone have a recommendation for a dog breed that will be good for living in an apartment (a little over 1000 sq ft). Also, has anyone had experience with asking their employer to have more flexibility to work from home after just adopting a dog, in order to help the dog better adjust to you and your home?

welcome to the forum, I have two cats, a bengal and a siamese and a german shepherd

Most any dog can live in an apt. as long as they get plenty of exercise. Excluding a border collie, or something like a mastiff.

As far as your employer you should ask that question before you get the dog. If your boss is an animal lover he may agree to it, if not then I doubt it. But ask before you get the dog.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

WELCOME! Sorry I don't have advice for you about the dog breed. Everyone at work knows how much I love all my cats. My boss is super nice and lets me have a flexible lunch hour to take my cats to the vet. I don't take advantage of this and make up the time I use up.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Welcome to the forum! You picked a good one. There is a section for selling your new product under forum guidelines.

Your second question is interesting. I have never heard of people doing that before, but many people do telecommute or work part time to take care of their human kids. My sister, who has three children, is an oncologist. She works at the hospital four days a week and at home on Wednesdays. None of her kids have fur BTW. It would be easier to just say you want to work part time without bringing up the possibility of adopting a dog, even if your supervisor is also a dog lover.

Many apartment owners have pet weight limits. Some breeds that are known to be aggressive often are not allowed in apartments either. If you like small dogs (up to 25 pounds), this is not a problem. Of course it is much cheaper and easier to take care of a small dog, plus they are less likely to affect your work hours.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Hi Linda,

Thank you for your reply! Yes, that is great advice I do not plan to move forward with a dog until I know it will be a good situation for adjusting. I am fairly new at my company so I think I will give it a bit more time before I try to make this request. Not sure if he is an animal lover but I will have to try to find this out too! It sounds like you have a good pet crew! My cats are domestics short hair rescues and get along very well! How do your cats get along with each other and the German Shepard?

Hi Furballs&dogbones,

Thank you for your reply! I checked out your podcast. You and your sister are hilarious and informative. Keep up the great work! How did you get the idea to start this???

Hi CatMom1994,

Thank you for the reply and thanks for the info on selling the product! I have not had any products go live yet but will sometime next month hopefully so I will definitely check this section out!

Yes! We are in times now where being at the office is not always necessary depending on the work. I currently work at home on Fridays fairly often so I am hoping to prove my hard work on those days to gain the trust to do it more often. We will see how this works out!

Great advice on the dog search. I am pretty sure my apartment has a weight limit and some breed exclusions. My wife would like a small dog anyways and I am open to whatever, plus I think a larger dog will feel more confined by the apartment space. This is a learning process because any dogs I had in the past were family dogs in a house with a yard, and more people around to care for them.

I like the cat in your photo! I am assuming it is yours? Do you have multiple pets?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by FluffHeadZ View Post
    Hi Linda,

Thank you for your reply! Yes, that is great advice I do not plan to move forward with a dog until I know it will be a good situation for adjusting. I am fairly new at my company so I think I will give it a bit more time before I try to make this request. Not sure if he is an animal lover but I will have to try to find this out too! It sounds like you have a good pet crew! My cats are domestics short hair rescues and get along very well! How do your cats get along with each other and the German Shepard?
    my shepherd is very good with other animals, people not so much. When I had my first bengal he was so attached to me that if I left him alone he'd pull out his hair, took him to the vet and the vet said it was stress so to get him a kitten, I got a siamese rescue for him, the two were very bonded, when I lost him to cancer the siamese was devastated, so that year for mother's day my daughter and son in law got me another bengal kitten. Now everyone is happy, the cats are bonded to each other and the dog is bonded to the cats. So all is well
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Yes, that kitty is mine. She was about 6 months old at the time. Now he is a year old. Her name is Daisy. You can't see it in pictures, but she has tabby markings on the top of her head. She is my only cat.

FYI by clicking the far right button (quote bubble icon) on several posts, then the blue Post Reply button at the bottom, you can reply to several posts at the same time.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

That was so thoughtful of your daughter and son in law. Sounds like an exciting Mother's day! I am glad to hear there is harmony in the house but I am sorry to hear about your earlier loss. The hardest part of getting a pet is seeing them go.

Our last family dog was a black lab mix and he passed away last year. He was not good with other dogs or people outside our family. Could not take him anywhere without keeping an eye out to make sure nobody got to close. I think we needed to do a better job when he was young of having him interact outside the household. But he was a great family dog and I definitely miss him!

Hi Esme,

Thank you for the welcome! How many cats do you have?!? That is great your boss is understanding when you need extra time for them! I think that is the most important part is earning their trust and then not taking advantage so you can keep it.

Daisy looks like a nice sweet cat! Those markings sounds cool and make her unique for sure. Thanks again for the operational help, all these forums are different and it takes some practice getting used to, but any advice is greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by FluffHeadZ View Post
    That was so thoughtful of your daughter and son in law. Sounds like an exciting Mother's day! I am glad to hear there is harmony in the house but I am sorry to hear about your earlier loss. The hardest part of getting a pet is seeing them go.

Our last family dog was a black lab mix and he passed away last year. He was not good with other dogs or people outside our family. Could not take him anywhere without keeping an eye out to make sure nobody got to close. I think we needed to do a better job when he was young of having him interact outside the household. But he was a great family dog and I definitely miss him!
    Actually he wasn't born yet but my daughter put a deposit on him and I got pick of the litter when he was born

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.