Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cat not liking her food anymore?

Question Cat not liking her food anymore?

I don't get it. Blue Freedom Indoor Adult Chicken Pate was by far Daisy's favorite food since she started eating it. Now she is rejecting it. Nothing has changed. She just seems to not like it. Mom thinks I put too much in the bowl because she does not know how long the food has been out. Am I doing something wrong? Each serving is 1/4 of a can or close to that. Am I doing it wrong?
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

Do you switch off to any other flavors or brands, maybe she's just out of the mood. I rotate my canned cat food and feed 1/3 can per day, he sometimes leaves it and goes back to it, but usually finishes it all each day.

I must have an abnormally big eater, mine eat four cans a day plus their dry food is always out. I feed natural balance turkey and giblets, chicken hearts and liver and once in a while shrimp and salmon.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Do you switch off to any other flavors or brands, maybe she's just out of the mood. I rotate my canned cat food and feed 1/3 can per day, he sometimes leaves it and goes back to it, but usually finishes it all each day.
    That was how I did the three-week taste test. The inconsistency among other brands led me to stick with Blue Freedom chicken. I know it is better to switch off, but it is much cheaper to subscribe to one. The 15% or whatever savings per order adds up!

I am desperate for a solution now. I just got another order from Petco so Daisy is stuck with it for two months if she really does not like it. She had no problem eating a full can each day but now it is hard to make her eat 1/4 of a can despite her good appetite.

It's expensive, but they have freeze dried cat treats that you can crumble between your fingers like powder. One brand my cat really likes is Orijen, but there are others like Stella and Chewy. Instead of using it as a treat which can be pricey, you can just crumble some over her food, and I think you'll get good results, and at that rate the bag should last a loooong time. I'm not sure if Petco or Petsmart has them, but they should have some brand. https://www.orijen.ca/foods/cat-food/#fd-cat-treats

Thanks Alpha. She likes her dry food and treats, just not the wet stuff.

She is used to meal times.

Assuming she is not sick. you could always try adding a small amount of plan chicken/stake/fish to get her to eat it. When my cat did not drink every much water or eat enough (he was sick and in the vets care) she told me to add canned chicken water to his food and drink. She did say not to use a lot as the salt is bad.

I wish it was that easy! The problem is when she is hungry and I put fresh food down, she does not want it. When this happens, if I give her dry food, she eats it, so I know she just does not like her wet food.

My opinion is she does not like it..thats what you are saying, Right? If she still eats, then it should be fine. I guess you'll have to get a new kind.
    ​Chicken lover!

I tried many wet foods. She loved one: Blue Buffalo fish. Ugh. I told Mom Daisy does not like anything with fish, but she ignored me. It turned out to be the only one she would finish and eat every day. Now she is back to her "give me a different flavor" behavior. I wish she was not a picky eater.

I don't think any cat or dog likes to eat the same thing every single day even if they like it. I rotate flavors for my pets, using several choices that I know they like. I don't think Daisy is that picky, but even if she likes fish flavor, she probably will get bored with it every day of the week.

I am sure it would be better if she did not eat the same thing every day, but when I ran a taste test she liked only one thing. When a cat does that, how can rotating foods help?

There is one wet food - Wellness Core Signature Selects Chichken and Chiken Liver - that she kept going back to, only to take just one bite because she did not like the shreds. If it was pate, she would have gobbled it up. So I tried. one that is the same brand and flavor, but in pate form. She did not like it at all. If only WCSS was pate . . .

Neither my cat or dog likes any chunky food in gravy or shredded styles. You just have to try different pate style foods until you find one she really likes, but even if they like something, that doesn't mean they'll love it each time you feed it. I've been lucky, my cat will accept gladly around five different canned foods, but he only gets 1/3 can per day, the rest he eats is dry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.