Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dog Can't Move Back Legs

Dog Can't Move Back Legs

Yorkie is 16 yo and took a fall off the stairs(she is blind) and fell about 5' She how can't move or use her back legs. We took her to local vet and they check her and said nothing broken but they think it could be neurological. Any thoughts please. She can stand on all for sometimes but she doesn't move. Other times when we try to stand her up her back legs just collapse. SOOOOO UPSET. Thanks VERY MUCH

take her to a dog chiropractor and ask him to do acupuncture. You may get a surprise what one treatment can do
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    take her to a dog chiropractor and ask him to do acupuncture. You may get a surprise what one treatment can do
    Thank you very much will take her tomorrow def.

Are you near a veterinary college? They probably have neurology departments.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

I'm so sorry to hear about your girl, she must be in a lot of pain, did the vet give her medication for it? The first thing that came to mind was a spinal injury affecting her hindquarters. No advice to give, but I hope she can be helped. She's an old gal, it's very sad that she's now in discomfort, please let us know if she's improving or getting some treatment.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I'm so sorry to hear about your girl, she must be in a lot of pain, did the vet give her medication for it? The first thing that came to mind was a spinal injury affecting her hindquarters. No advice to give, but I hope she can be helped. She's an old gal, it's very sad that she's now in discomfort, please let us know if she's improving or getting some treatment.
    Thank you for the kind words. Yes they gave hear pain meds. My wife is so upset. She has feeling in her legs

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Thank you for the kind words. Yes they gave her pain meds. My wife is so upset. She has feeling in her legs.
    It is good a vet can help her, even if treatment options are limited. I hope she will not have to be on pain meds very long.

a dog chiropractor can check and see if its a little something out of place and may be able to just do an adjustment and make her feel better, but whatever they find I'd still ask them to do an acupuncture treatment. They may even suggest laser treatments, that's been known to speed up healing also

If you can't find one take her to a teaching hospital or vet school, there they will find the problem and if anyone can help you they can.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I also favor natural over medical treatments whenever possible. However, you should try to get a diagnosis before doing more than just treating symptoms.

If nothing works, DO NOT FEAR. Buy or make a dog wheelchair, and Yorkie will be good to zoom again.

Before:

After:

Note: Sometimes when the hindquarters are paralyzed, the dog needs help peeing and/or pooping with a sort of massage. It's called "expressing" a dog. Best figure out quickly if she is having any trouble or discomfort peeing or pooping, and if so find out about expressing asap.

Do not fear.

Thanks again everyone. So brought her to a vet today that does acupuncture. She did the needles and hooked up a little electricity to them. The dog seems a tad better but still really cant stand. I know it may take several treatments but we also still don't have a diagnosis. Bringing her to neurologist on Monday.

Vet said she has an EXTREME case of dental disease. She opened up her mouth and showed me the sides and back and it was scary. We were going to have her go to dentist last year but they because she was 15 putting her under anesthesia would be dangerous. I'm wondering if the the dental disease led to her blindness and now maybe her neuro issues. Yes she was basically fine before the fall an now can't walk so pretty obvious that the fall did something. She was declining neuro wise before the fall. Thanks again.

Give the acupuncture time to work, if she's even a little better now its not hopeless. I would not be putting a dog that age under anesthesia for dental work or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    Give the acupuncture time to work, if she's even a little better now its not hopeless. I would not be putting a dog that age under anesthesia for dental work or anything else.
    Thank you. Yeah my wife is getting a little excited as she is moving a little more and even trying to push herself up. She wasn't doing that at all prior to the acupuncture.

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Thanks again everyone. So brought her to a vet today that does acupuncture. She did the needles and hooked up a little electricity to them. The dog seems a tad better but still really cant stand. I know it may take several treatments but we also still don't have a diagnosis. Bringing her to neurologist on Monday.

Vet said she has an EXTREME case of dental disease. She opened up her mouth and showed me the sides and back and it was scary. We were going to have her go to dentist last year but they because she was 15 putting her under anesthesia would be dangerous. I'm wondering if the the dental disease led to her blindness and now maybe her neuro issues. Yes she was basically fine before the fall an now can't walk so pretty obvious that the fall did something. She was declining neuro wise before the fall. Thanks again.
    Dental disease probably had nothing to do with the fall and neurological issues. It causes a lot of problems, but paralysis due to an accident is not one of them. Causes of blindness in an old dog include some problems that are linked to dental disease - kidney failure, heart disease, and diabetes. Nonspecific symptoms such as vomiting, weight loss, and excessive thirst are seen long before a dog's blood pressure gets high enough to cause blindness if dental disease causes organ failure, so I would not make that assumption. A blood test could explain everything or nothing depending on what the problem is.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Dental disease probably had nothing to do with the fall and neurological issues. It causes a lot of problems, but paralysis due to an accident is not one of them. Causes of blindness in an old dog include some problems that are linked to dental disease - kidney failure, heart disease, and diabetes. Nonspecific symptoms such as vomiting, weight loss, and excessive thirst are seen long before a dog's blood pressure gets high enough to cause blindness if dental disease causes organ failure, so I would not make that assumption. A blood test could explain everything or nothing depending on what the problem is.

Thanks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.