Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dog Can't Move Back Legs

Quote Originally Posted by mstrlucky74 View Post
    Thanks again everyone. So brought her to a vet today that does acupuncture. She did the needles and hooked up a little electricity to them. The dog seems a tad better but still really cant stand. I know it may take several treatments but we also still don't have a diagnosis. Bringing her to neurologist on Monday.

Vet said she has an EXTREME case of dental disease. She opened up her mouth and showed me the sides and back and it was scary. We were going to have her go to dentist last year but they because she was 15 putting her under anesthesia would be dangerous. I'm wondering if the the dental disease led to her blindness and now maybe her neuro issues. Yes she was basically fine before the fall an now can't walk so pretty obvious that the fall did something. She was declining neuro wise before the fall. Thanks again.
    Wishing the best for both of you, dental disease can bring on other health complications, and you definitely can't put an older dog like that under anesthesia. My husband cleans our dog's present and past teeth with a plaque scaler at home, so we never had to have a vet give them cleanings, they had healthy teeth and gums always, even when old. I feel bad for your baby, she's dealing with so much now....hugs to you all.

Thanks
    I hope it all works out for you. People may laugh but acupuncture has helped both animals and people
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I hope it all works out for you. People may laugh but acupuncture has helped both animals and people
    What scares me off of acupuncture is the word makes me think of pain from getting shots. How can needles not hurt the dog? I am all for it if the dog does not complain.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    My husband cleans our dog's past teeth.
    For the life of me I cannot figure out what this can possibly mean. :- D

What's it- like a special box where he puts them, keeping them polished to show visiting house guests?

"And this one, he lost on an especially tough dog chew... note the interesting abrasions here..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    For the life of me I cannot figure out what this can possibly mean. :- D
    Probably using a toothbrush and toothpaste made for dogs.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

acupuncture doesn't hurt, it actually relaxes them, I've heard of some dogs even sleeping through the procedure. My sister has stinosis in her back and before doing surgery to fuse the backbone she is getting two acupuncture treatments a week for three months, she says she doesn't even feel the needles going in.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

The vet put her on gabapentine. Anyone familiar with it? She's been on it about 3 days. She stopped.eating today and she's becoming more lethargic not moving at all.😭

gabapentine was originally made for seizures in people, then they found it worked just as well on animals so now they prescribe it for both

Side effects from Gabapentin can include but are not limited to:

• Vomiting.
    • Drowsiness.
    • Loss of balance.
    • Diarrhea.

The vet put her on gabapentine. Anyone familiar with it? She's been on it about 3 days. She stopped.eating today and she's becoming more lethargic not moving at all.
    Sorry to hear that, it certainly doesn't sound good, thoughts are with you, your wife and your pup. Hope things can turn around, maybe you can feed her with a syringe of sorts. When my old dog was sick with stroke and kidney problems he wouldn't eat. I fed him a raw egg mixed with some vitamin B complex powder and put it in a turkey baster, he seemed to get some energy back and then we fed him some ground beef that we fried in a pan and spoon fed him slowly. We had to force feed or special feed him for at least a week before he came around again.

This could just be the medication upsetting his stomach. I would try to get a some chicken or turkey baby food in him. Alpha has a good suggestion about the egg and vitamin mix to help boost his energy. I hope he improves and please keep us posted.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    This could just be the medication upsetting his stomach. I would try to get a some chicken or turkey baby food in him. Alpha has a good suggestion about the egg and vitamin mix to help boost his energy. I hope he improves and please keep us posted.
    I wonder about that too Esme, the vet should know the results of the medicine, it might not be helping at all. Hoping to hear some news, hopefully good.

Thanks everyone.

So the steroids don't seem to be helping. She still cam stand or walk. Just won't move. Eating here and there. Neurologist said to call tomorrow[ wife took her yesterday] to give update. Wondering what they will say when we tell him there's been no improvement at all.

I know it's a difficult time for you and your family, if she's in pain and her quality of life is no longer there, you may have to make a tough decision. Thinking of you and yours...hugs.

Thanks. She's not in pain but can't move at all. Wondering if she had a stroke which made her call down stairs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.