"Get down!"

Question "Get down!"

Daisy is a smart cat, but needs to learn the kitchen table is off limits. She has not eaten human food or damaged anything, but obviously it is one of the worst places for an indoor cat to be. Cat behaviorists do not recommend squiring water on cats, according to Cat Fancy, because it psychologically is like hitting for punishment. Just telling Daisy to "get down" does not work. It started with smelling food but she no longer only gets on the table during meals. What should I do to stop this?
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

put double sided tape on where she goes, she won't like the feel of it on her feet and she won't go near it after the first time.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

She walks all over the table.

Am I doing something wrong by just telling her to "Get down" when he is already on the table? I don't want to ban her from the chairs.

Get a spray bottle, squirt her a couple of times then just put the bottle where she can see it, she won't get on the table once she realizes she is going to get a face full of water
    Last edited by linda2147; 10-06-2017 at 09:06 PM.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thanks Linda.

Get a bunch of mouse traps, loosen up the springs so just a small unhurtful stinging snap, and set them all round the table, counters, wherever. It won't hurt the cat, but it will teach them.

Set them in different spots and the cat doesn't like like the snapping nor the fact it has a mousetrap stuck to its paw, and has to shake it off ... and will get the message. Mine learned real fast.

I never used water spray ... that's tough on finished furniture.
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

Maybe a motion-activated or vibration- activated alarm/sound effect maker would help to train her? There are currently a lot of motion-activated Halloween decorations in the stores.... maybe one of those could be used to spooky the cat out of continuing her unwanted visits to the top of the table.

What do they sound like?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.