Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Pitbulls?

Pitbulls?

Hi,

I'm new here.

I've heard that pitbulls are tough and mean and that they bite and kill people. (That's why my name is what it is)

I would like to hear your opinion on pitbulls to see if what I've read is right.

Thanks!

Welcome! I've never owned a Pitbull, but I see many loose at the dog park that are sweet, friendly and well socialized. The owners who want to be tough and live vicariously through their dogs make them aggressive and mean, those are the ones who attack other pets and people. The breed is very dominant and their bite can be severe, but if raised as puppies with love and socialization with people and other pets, I've seen that they make good pets. The ones who are on 4' chains in the yard all day, kept away from company and other animals, are the ones who can be threatening. They are often used for dog fighting, have to blame the people more than the breed, but you have to raise them well to make a good companion.

NO puppy is born bad, its bad training that turn them into killers. People that think that having a pit makes them a big man, nothing could be further from the truth. My nephew adopted a 4 month old pit puppy from pit bull rescue, he is now 10 months old and the sweetest dog you'll ever meet. My nephew owns his own business and takes the dog with him on service calls daily, unless its to hot then he leaves him with his office girl in the office. Everyone that meets him falls in love with him. Judge the deed not the breed! In fact my nephew is getting married next saturday and Samson is the ring bearer. He's part of the family so he is attending the wedding
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I agree with what's been said by Alpha and Linda. They are so very misunderstood and really deserve a good loving home just like another breed. Watch an episode of the tv show Pitbulls and Parolees to learn how sweet those dogs really are.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I never understood why people think pit bulls are supposed to be nasty fighters when, if treated properly in loving homes, they can be as nice as any other dog.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

I still don't know.............. I don't want to start a fight so please don't think I want to............
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

I can't believe that! What about all the people who get bitten or killed when the owner says "Oh, she won't bite! She's soooooo friendly!", what about that?!?!

what about it? Any dog can bite, its only the pit bull attacks that make the headlines. My shepherd will bite and she's not a pitbull. How about the little ankle bitters, a bite is a bite no matter how big the dog, but pitbulls have a lot of strength in their bite so they can do more damage, but regardless a bite is a bite and anything with teeth can bite You fail to mention all the heroic pit bulls out there, the ones that serve in the military, the ones that are police dogs, and the ones that will take a bullet for their family if need be. Again judge the deed not the breed
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

That's a good point!
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

That is a good point. So why do only pitbull attacks make the news? What about Rottweilers? Why don't their attacks make the news?

pit bulls got popular with the druggies and dog fighters which means there was a demand for them, so stupid people out to make a buck started breeding anything with a pulse, never considering background or genetics, they were out for a quick buck, so backyard breeders appeared, the result was unstable dogs and dogs with bad dispositions, add that to the fact that stupid people with no idea how to train a dog properly got possession of them, a well trained, pit bull is no more likely to attack than any other dog. Unfortunately dog's don't train themselves and they can't pick their owners. Then when something happens the dogs are either killed, abandoned or abused. Its not the dogs fault, blame it on bad breeders, bad trainers and the way they are treated.

And only a truly dumb person would say "my dog won't bite", you never know what will trigger a dog to bite. You always have to assume your dog will bite, that way there are no surprises if it happens

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull hater View Post
    I can't believe that! What about all the people who get bitten or killed when the owner says "Oh, she won't bite! She's soooooo friendly!", what about that?!?!
    What difference does it make whether a pit bull or beagle bites you? Are you going to also say all beagles are bad? I highly doubt it.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Any dog can be trained to hurt or kill so don't blame the dog but blame the idiot owners. Did you have a bad experience with a pitbull to be so judgmental?

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Any dog can be trained to hurt or kill
    Even Zsa Zsa.

Hope you're wearing your steel enforced undergarment today.

Beautiful photo but don't mess with her! So as the saying goes...don't judge a book by it's cover.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.