Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pitbulls?

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Any dog can be trained to hurt or kill so don't blame the dog but blame the idiot owners. Did you have a bad experience with a pitbull to be so judgmental?
    I almost got bit once by a pitbull. A big one!

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull hater View Post
    That is a good point. So why do only pit bull attacks make the news? What about Rottweilers? Why don't their attacks make the news?
    Rottweiler is another breed insurance companies will not cover because of a bad reputation for being aggressive. The fact they don't make the news does not mean they are less likely to bite than pit bulls if given the opportunity.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Rottweiler is another breed insurance companies will not cover because of a bad reputation for being aggressive. The fact they don't make the news does not mean they are less likely to bite than pit bulls if given the opportunity.
    Also, I never hear of Rotties being used in dog fights like I do Pitbulls. Seems they are bought by criminals for the purpose of being deadly and they train them that way from pups. I've petted and seen both breeds loose at the park that were very social and friendly to people and other dogs.

Ok, but how would you know if a pitbull is friendly or not? What if his/her parents were used for dog fighting? How would you know?

You wouldn't know, just like any dog you would have to judge by speaking with the owner or interacting with the dog. Years ago my neighbor had an aggressive Chihuahua, and it was always getting out and loose in front of his house with no supervision. As soon as he saw me get out of my car to walk into my house, he'd lunge at me growling and bearing his teeth, I'd have to scold him loudly just to keep him from biting me.

The owner always apologized and admitted that the dog had bitten him on several occasions. I knew not to trust or pet that dog. Dogs are animals, I don't think any of them can be completely trusted at all times under all situations, it's up to the owners to train, love and socialize them so they are well balanced and good spirited.

I can understand if you are suspicious of Pitbulls, there have been many stories of ones who were abused and brought up badly...but you don't have to hate them. They only know what people teach them, it's not their fault.

OK, but how would you know if a pit bull is friendly or not? What if his/her parents were used for dog fighting? How would you know?
    Now you admit some pit bulls are friendly.

Yeah, ok, some pitbulls are friendly........ I guess you all have a point. I still don't trust the breed entirely. Maybe I'll change my name....... ;-)

Stubby served with the 102nd Infantry Regiment in the trenches in France for 18 months and participated in four offensives and 17 battles. He entered combat on February 5, 1918 at Chemin des Dames, north of Soissons, and was under constant fire, day and night for over a month. In April 1918, during a raid to take Schieprey, Stubby was wounded in the foreleg by the retreating Germans throwing hand grenades. He was sent to the rear for convalescence, and as he had done on the front was able to improve morale. When he recovered from his wounds, Stubby returned to the trenches. He ultimately had two wound stripes.[3][9]
    In his first year of battle Stubby was injured by mustard gas. After he recovered, he returned with a specially designed gas mask to protect him.[10] Also, he learned to warn his unit of poison gas attacks, located wounded soldiers in no man's land, and — since he could hear the whine of incoming artillery shells before humans could — became very adept at letting his unit know when to duck for cover. He was solely responsible for capturing a German spy in the Argonne. Due to his capture of the enemy spy, the commander of the 102 Infantry nominated Stubby for the rank of sergeant.[5] However, whether Stubby was actually promoted or even an official member of the Army has been disputed.[8] Following the retaking of Château-Thierry by the US, the women of the town made Stubby a chamois coat on which were pinned his many medals. He also helped free a French town from the Germans.[citation needed] He was later injured in the chest and leg by a grenade. At the end of the war, Robert Conroy smuggled Stubby home.[5]
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

How was Stubby chosen for the job?

I think he was found as a stray and the soldiers adopted him, he got "on the job training"
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Yeah, ok, some pitbulls are friendly........ I guess you all have a point. I still don't trust the breed entirely.
    I don't trust the breed entirely either, but I've seen enough nice friendly Pitbulls to know that their environment, treatment and upbringing means everything. It's smart to be cautious, especially with breeds that are large enough to do real harm to someone or another animal, so I recommend you just stay the way you are, but keep an open mind.

Ok, but how would you know if a pitbull is friendly or not? What if his/her parents were used for dog fighting? How would you know?
    dog fighting is a learned behavior, its not genetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I don't trust the breed entirely either, but I've seen enough nice friendly Pitbulls to know that their environment, treatment and upbringing means everything. It's smart to be cautious, especially with breeds that are large enough to do real harm to someone or another animal, so I recommend you just stay the way you are, but keep an open mind.
    I think part of the problem is they are misfits in their homes. People talk about them killing cats. If they did their research, they would know pit bulls and cats don't mix and look for a different breed dog. I would never adopt a terrier either. Any hunting breed can kill other pets. Nothing can be done about this; it is their nature to hunt and hurt or kill other animals. Why don't other hunting breeds have the same bad rap when they harm cats?

On the other paw, if pit bulls were raised with other pets as puppies, they would be able to make friends with members of different species. In that respect it is all about the pet parent.

In the 70's it was Dobermans, then Rott now Pits.
    What dog do you have?

Now I am going to add something I do not even understand.

I have four dogs, Jack, Rott mix, Retriever mix and Beagle/pit mix. I also dog sit a Pit/mastiff mix. I love dogs! I run and bike miles, I am petrified of "loose dogs". It matter not what size or shape or breed dog. I carry mace and an air horn. I have been chased by the best of them! go figure.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.