Is it safe to feed a cat and a dog together in the same house?

Is it safe to feed a cat and a dog together in the same house?

I have a dog in my house and now i want to bring home a small cat. How can i assure that both cat and dog will remain safe without any fight in my house.

it depends on the breed of the dog, most dogs can learn to live with a cat with no problem, if you have a dog with a high prey drive especially some hunting breed or a husky or any other dog that shows aggression towards a cat it will not work out.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I think you said you had a shepherd, they should get along if the cat is young and friendly. You'll have to introduce them at first and do it slowly so the cat doesn't become too scared and can get to know the dog. Hold the cat in your lap at first so they can get familiar with each other. Make sure the cat has a safe place for the litter box and resting time, where the dog can't chase or come near.

Have a tall cat tree and other high places where the cat can go if necessary. My kitten was slowly introduced to my old dog, but he was pretty mellow. The cat eats on the kitchen counter and I feed the dog on the floor, both share a water bowl on the floor, but in the beginning I gave the kitten his own little water bowl on the counter. Give the dog a lot of attention and give them both treats in the same room, by hand. Let the dog know he should not be jealous or threatened by the new family member.

How old is the cat, was she ever around dogs before? Was your dog ever around cats?

Are you thinking about adopting a specific cat or looking for a kitty at shelters? The latter would allow you to search for a kitten or young cat that has a history of being good with dogs.

The subject title makes me think you are concerned about canine and feline diets. Cats are obligate carnivores and dogs are omnivores (similar to humans). This is not a problem for many pet parents.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Alpha, she is just 4 months. I'm not sure about the cat but my dog was never around cat since i adopted him.

And thanx for your suggestions alpha. I'll try these to make sure the safety of my both pet animals.

yes i agree with you but my dog is not so aggressive but he feel jealous sometimes when i show affection to even toys in front of him.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.