Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Stanley....

Stanley....

Hi everyone, I am new to this site and would welcome any thoughts/ideas regarding my poorly little dog Stanley who has been diagnosed with a chronic allergy to food! He cannot eat regular dog food and the vet believes he has to have food that has the proteins broken down as he cannot tolerate this. have any other dog owners experienced this problem with their dog?

have you thought about putting him on a raw diet?
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

There are so-called "limited ingredient" diets that have only one source of protein and one vegetable. Look for those words on wet food labels at your local pet store and try different flavors. Normally they do not have chicken or fish, which are common allergens. Cat parents wrote in Amazon reviews for Nature's Variety Instinct (which also has recipes for dogs) it works for their allergic cats. It's cheaper for you and healthier for the dog than whatever a vet would prescribe.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen View Post
    Hi everyone, I am new to this site and would welcome any thoughts/ideas regarding my poorly little dog Stanley who has been diagnosed with a chronic allergy to food! He cannot eat regular dog food and the vet believes he has to have food that has the proteins broken down as he cannot tolerate this. have any other dog owners experienced this problem with their dog?
    Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm curious, exactly what tests did the vet perform, allergy to grains, chicken, wheat, lamb or other meats? How old is Stanley, and what breed is he? I haven't had any experience with that problem, but I'm curious to know exactly what the issue is.

What are the symptoms of his allergy, itching? How long has he had his symptoms, since a puppy? I know it's a lot of questions, but I'd like to know more of what's going on with your little boy.

first signs of allergies is ear infections, scratching and chewing the tail area and the feet. Not necessarily a food allergy but dogs fed from pups on a raw diet don't develop food allergies
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Hi Alpha1,
    Stanley is 3 and half yrs old and he's mixed race breed. He has had a history of tests which begun a couple of yrs ago when he vomited blood and we rushed him to the vets during the night.
    He was X-ray'd, given a stomach protector and a blood sample sent way for analysis. NAD

At first he appeared fine for a few months so we didn't worry but over time he's become progressively worse. To the point now where his stools are a mixture of mucus and blood. In one week this can be 3 or 4 days and the other days his stools can be 'normal'. He vomits frequently, mostly through the night and generally this is bile however sometimes contains blood.
    Stanleys stomach makes the horrendous sounds and he becomes listless. He won't eat and as more recently refused to eat for up to 5 days.

Stan has had stomach scans, blood tests, stool tests, a colonoscopy, an endoscopy and more recently has an operation to remove a piece of his bowel and lymph node for analysis.
    The best news is he doesn't have cancer! But result being he has a chronic allergy to food! The next step is to have an allergy test completed to see what he can tolerate. In the meantime he eats very little and is dropping weight.

I'm at my wits end as it appears we simply have to find a suitable food for him but I fear time is running out while we find food he can tolerate.

if there is a vet teaching hospital or a vet school I'd take him there, they see all kinds of rare ailments and have all the latest equipment to work with and they would have someone there to do the allergy tests and before you leave there you would have answers. They will continue to look until they find exactly what the problem is and hopefully be able to set him on the right track

Hi Alpha1,
    Stanley is 3 and half yrs old and he's mixed race breed. He has had a history of tests which begun a couple of yrs ago when he vomited blood and we rushed him to the vets during the night.
    He was X-ray'd, given a stomach protector and a blood sample sent way for analysis. NAD

At first he appeared fine for a few months so we didn't worry but over time he's become progressively worse. To the point now where his stools are a mixture of mucus and blood. In one week this can be 3 or 4 days and the other days his stools can be 'normal'. He vomits frequently, mostly through the night and generally this is bile however sometimes contains blood.
    Stanleys stomach makes the horrendous sounds and he becomes listless. He won't eat and as more recently refused to eat for up to 5 days.

Stan has had stomach scans, blood tests, stool tests, a colonoscopy, an endoscopy and more recently has an operation to remove a piece of his bowel and lymph node for analysis.
    The best news is he doesn't have cancer! But result being he has a chronic allergy to food! The next step is to have an allergy test completed to see what he can tolerate. In the meantime he eats very little and is dropping weight.

I'm at my wits end as it appears we simply have to find a suitable food for him but I fear time is running out while we find food he can tolerate.
    Has anyone ever suggested that you give digestive enzyme supplementation. I would try that if it was my dog, a good quality digestive enzyme supplement, that is a natural alternative that may be the answer, if no improvement is noticed after a good time period like 2 weeks to a month, then it didn't help....but worth a try in my opinion. I'm a big fan of vitamins and supplements for people, and when needed for pets.

http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com...-and-your-dog/

http://www.natural-dog-health-remedi...-for-dogs.html

Hi, no one has suggested this but I will look into it...thank you

Wow, that is a lot of testing for what could be allergies. I can't imagine why blood in the stool and vomit would be allergic reactions. There are many reasons dogs throw up bile and even more for dogs to lose weight. Is Stanley refusing to eat or just not eating enough for his size and energy level? Are you giving him treats?

Hi CatMom,
    they had to do all those test to conclude all he had was a chronic allergy.
    Its my understanding the food allergy aggravates and inflames the gut and intestines which means he passes blood.
    Stanley refuses to eat the food, even when he's hungry, that he is supposed to eat.
    Often his gut makes the most horrendous noises and this is when he is off colour and of course he doesn't have any appetite then.
    Sadly I can never give him treats

Did they rule out pancreatitis or Colitis? try feeding him baby food chicken or turkey until he's back on his feet. If they did all those tests they should be able to tell you exactly what he is allergic to. Chronic allergies is kind of a general term, just exactly what is the trigger for his allergies? If its food its either corn or wheat, chicken or beef. Wysong makes a rabbit based food, most dogs can tolerate that ok

Hi, no one has suggested this but I will look into it...thank you
    You're welcome Helen, I figure it can't hurt and might be very beneficial.

Hi CatMom,
    they had to do all those test to conclude all he had was a chronic allergy.
    Its my understanding the food allergy aggravates and inflames the gut and intestines which means he passes blood.
    Stanley refuses to eat the food, even when he's hungry, that he is supposed to eat.
    Often his gut makes the most horrendous noises and this is when he is off color and of course he doesn't have any appetite then.
    Sadly I can never give him treats
    Try several "limited ingredient diet" wet foods at pet stores. They are called LIDs because there is only one source of protein (not chicken or seafood) and one vegetable. Nature's Variety Instinct is a good one for cats with allergies (people say it works better than prescribed diets) and I presume the same is true for their dog recipes.

Ask the vet about freeze-dried raw treats that can be crushed and mixed with water. They come in different flavors.

Poor Stanley...I would try the baby food puree with chicken, turkey or beef to get some food in him. I've also bought the generic version of Pedialyte at Walmart (flavorless of course) and that helps.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.