Pet Products - What Do We Wish They Had & What Needs to Be Better

Pet Products - What Do We Wish They Had & What Needs to Be Better

Hello Everyone,

I have two cats and have found that the toys they like most are the cheapest ones that always fall apart and I have to continuously buy. They are obsessed with this butterfly on a wire attached to a plastic stick but the longest one of these lasted was a couple weeks and the shortest was the minute I opened the package.

I also, was finding it difficult to find a pet bed made from quality washable materials but that also has a nice look and good comfort. Due to what I saw as a gap in the market, I have been working on production for a cat/small dog bed that I will release for sale sometime next month on Amazon.

I am just hoping to hear responses on what types of pet products people wish were out on the market. This does not necessarily mean a brand new idea, can be, but also what do you think could be improved on or do you find frustrating about current products?

Thank you for posting this. I have read many complaints on Amazon about toys not lasting very long and did the same. Daisy's favorite toy was Da Bird, which is like a fishing pole with real feathers at the end that flutter if you flick your wrist. This drove her bonkers. She also liked to carry the feathers in her mouth, forcing me to follow her with the wand in my hand. Unfortunately it lasted one day before it broke - as in the stick itself splintered and had to be taped several times. The entire feather attachment broke off too - including the small metal parts, so they had to be tied back on - despite the number of knots at the end of the string. Feathers broke off and were chewed apart in less than a day. What a shame because Daisy wanted to play with it several times a day and often slept where I stored it. So my proposal would be making a toy like Da Bird that is unbreakable. The big question, of course, is how can you do that?

Bedding that can easily be washed is hard to find. My last cat, Patricia, had one that I could just throw in the washer and dryer. I thought great, better than a zipper. Just one problem: it was still dirty! No amount of washing got the fur off one side (it had a reversible cushion) and poop never came off. Shortly after she died, I put it in the trash. I did not buy a bed for Daisy, who likes to sleep on the carpet, partly because it is impossible to find one that is easy to wash.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

My husband repaired our cat feather wand very well, after going through so many of them since he was a kitten. He filled the inner cup with Elmer's Glue, set the feathers in there, and let it set in the closet for a couple of days until dry. My dog or cat won't use a bed, they sleep wherever they want. I've seen some washable covers for dog beds, where you don't have to put the whole thing in the washer.

my cats liked the round thing with the balls in it that rolled around, problem was he always managed to get the balls out then lost interest. One with the spaces with the balls in it would be ideal, something he couldn't get the balls out. The last one I got him was three layers of circles and three balls, one on each level, he had the balls out in less than ten minutes. I could put the balls back in but he just took them out again. Then he lost interest and I put it in the trash, something big enough for the balls to roll around but not big enough to get the balls out would be ideal
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    my cats liked the round thing with the balls in it that rolled around, problem was he always managed to get the balls out then lost interest. One with the spaces with the balls in it would be ideal, something he couldn't get the balls out. The last one I got him was three layers of circles and three balls, one on each level, he had the balls out in less than ten minutes. I could put the balls back in but he just took them out again. Then he lost interest and I put it in the trash, something big enough for the balls to roll around but not big enough to get the balls out would be ideal
    Are you talking about Turbo Scratcher (which Daisy likes) and Hurricane? She can't get the ball out, but my five-year old niece and nephew did. Amazon reviewers suggested buying golf balls if you lose it, saying they fit perfectly in the track. So far Daisy has not needed a replacement.

I haven't tried golf balls, he wasn't interested in it once he got the balls out so I threw it away
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

People were saying golf balls fit better in the tracks so cats can't get them out. I will never order them myself.

the problem is with a smart bengal he'll figure out that if they went in he'll find a way to get them out. will stick with the feather stick, he takes that up his tree and takes the feathers off, I just throw it away and get him a new one

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    the problem is with a smart bengal he'll figure out that if they went in he'll find a way to get them out. will stick with the feather stick, he takes that up his tree and takes the feathers off, I just throw it away and get him a new one
    LOL Bengals are smart cats. So is Daisy, whose favorite toys are not in the cat toys section of a pet store.

A simple water bottle inside a sock can already be a toy to your dog which he will surely enjoy. Also, you can try making a denim knot by just recycling your old tattered jeans.

I find medical products to be lacking in the reptilian field. There's minimal research pumped into specific products for reptiles so often reptiles are treated with dog or human products that seem to work. For instance, there is no specific skin care products for wound healing for reptiles. The vet will prescribe Flamazine which is a Silver Sulfadiazine product and needs to be prescribed. For home treatment of only small abrasions or treating something small like a dislodged scale, human products tend to be used such as Sudocrem or Savlon, something for sensitive skin. I've personally had success with YuCare, but certain products that are fine for skin can be coarse on the scales. Reptiles can also be very sensitive to chemicals so a specific reptile product would be preferred if there was one. F10 veterinary disinfectant is excellent though, I use it to disinfect the enclosures but can be used for wound healing, treatment of respiratory issues, and is safe to drink in the appropriate concentration. (Safe for all species, would highly recommend it).

Another area that needs looking into is veterinary medicine. For example, the treatment of dystocia (egg binding), particularly in snakes. Currently the mammalian hormone, oxytocin is used to induce contractions, but oftentimes the treatment fails because, although it is very similar to the reptilian equivalent hormone responsible for the same process, is not identical so does not perform as successfully. This is a particular problem in snakes but not so much lizards or chelonians. Loop diuretics are also used in the treatment of oedema in reptiles, which is odd because reptiles do not possess a loop of henle, so it's peculiar that it should work at all.

Outside the area of medicine and healthcare, I would like to see more emphasis on enclosure design and a greater variety of enclosure shapes. I find this to generally be an issue across the board with the majority of small pets (rodents, rabbits, ferrets etc). I feel there needs to be a greater emphasis on the provision of adequate space and a deeper understanding of the necessity of adequate exercise, not just from owners but manufacturers of animal housing too. For example, many reptile enclosure are longer then they are wide, allowing the animal to move along few customary pathways, but would benefit if three dimensional space was better considered. Reptiles have the benefit of being predisposed to energy conservation, meaning environmental complexity plays a greater role than enclosure size but this does not mean that the enclosure should be intentionally small. Enclosure size can also be off-setted with routine handling or allowing the animal to explore outside the enclosure so although a particularly large enclosure may not necessarily be completely essential to keeping the animal content, it is strongly preferred, especially for animals who are not handled as frequently.

Also I don't see hammocks or any other suspended hides for snakes, some for small lizards but snakes do enjoy climbing up towards a suspended hide too. These currently have to be home made. I would also like to see more Hornworms, Butterworms, and Silkworms on the market for insectivorous reptiles as these insects are excellent feeder insects but very difficult to get ahold of.

How big are the enclosures for your reptiles?

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    How big are the enclosures for your reptiles?
    This is an image of some of my reptile enclosures, the smaller ones on top are for geckos and larger ones for snakes (all my reptile products are sitting on a second enclosure at the bottom of the image just out of shot). I have other enclosures too to house them all comfortably. The enclosures comply with the BSAVA minimum recommendations. My enclosure sizes are currently restricted to space constraints but have been planning on making a home build, I might not be able to construct my idea for a larger indoor enclosure for now but have plans to make an outdoor enclosure for summer. All snakes have the opportunity to come out of their enclosures, although quite often they're content to stay put, sometimes when I let them out at the same time they just swap enclosures (they like they variety but feel comfortable in an enclosure).

Eddy lives in this log hide, it's her favourite place!

Cat001, your enclosures look VERY nice! They show how much you care....kudos!

It looks like a zoo.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.