Cat Litter - Clumping Clay or Recycled Paper Pellets

Cat Litter - Clumping Clay or Recycled Paper Pellets

Hello All,

We recently moved apartments and found ourselves wanting to look into other litter options in order to cut down on the mess. One of our two cats in particular loves to kick out all the litter onto the floor once she is done with her business.

We have been using the clumping clay litter which gets kind of messy and as I stated end up outside the box and on the floor, but we were thinking of switching to the pellet type litter which I believe is made from recycled paper. It seems this type might be easier to clean up and less dusty.

Does anyone have experience with these different types and can you explain the pros and cons? The messiness is annoying but I am primarily concerned with the cats and their health and comfort.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

I don't care for the clumping, but will use it for a couple of weeks while out camping. It clumps into hard lumps, almost like cement and tends to really stick to their paws, at least my cats, his are pretty furry. I use the Fresh Step unscented or the Arm and Hammer unscented clumping when I need to.

At home I use the regular Fresh Step, it seem to work well for both of us, and I have a covered litter box to cut down on the mess. I just keep a small dust pan and brush in the area, or use a small hand vac to get it up. I tried some natural ones, like the pine pellets and my cat would not even use it, it seemed he didn't even want to walk on it.

I could never think once about using litter that does not clump because to get urine out, you have to dump everything, which is a waste and difficult to do. The only problem I have had with it is it can get stuck on the sides of the litterbox. To minimize the mess, I got a litterbox with three high sides and one low die that makes it easy for my cat to get in. It works along with a big litter mat underneath that covers the whole area.

Cat behaviorists said in Cat Fancy magazine most cats do not like covered litterboxes for safety reasons. They want to be able to see dangers coming and escape easily if there is one. They would know all about it because training cats to use litterboxes at all times is part of their job. Three high sides are good enough for me and my cat.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

My guy like covered or open, he doesn't seem to care which one. I pick up solid waste daily, and change out the litter completely every week to 10 days. It works fine for me that way and he's always used the litter box reliably since a kitten.

The clumping seems to break off small pieces in the litter box when you remove it, so tiny pieces of clumped urine spread all over. Just with my limited use of clumping, it's a turn off in many ways. But whatever works for people, I guess especially those with multiple cats may want the clumping for easier clean up and less expense.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    My guy like covered or open, he doesn't seem to care which one. I pick up solid waste daily, and change out the litter completely every week to 10 days. It works fine for me that way and he's always used the litter box reliably since a kitten.

The clumping seems to break off small pieces in the litter box when you remove it, so tiny pieces of clumped urine spread all over. Just with my limited use of clumping, it's a turn off in many ways. But whatever works for people, I guess especially those with multiple cats may want the clumping for easier clean up and less expense.
    With multiple cats, having clumpable litter would make it easier to have only one litterbox. Not everyone has a place for two litterboxes.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

I can understand that, anyone who lives in an apartment or small house might not have the room.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.