Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Took A Neighbor's Cat To The Vet Before Asking In An Emergency, Friend Mad

I Took A Neighbor's Cat To The Vet Before Asking In An Emergency, Friend Mad

Hi yowl, been a while since I was in here. Good to see you folks again!

My friend disagrees with what I did, and so I'd like to ask your opinions.

I have a new job and I work from 3pm to 11pm. I was coming home after work and found Feather, our elderly neighbor's cat, lying in the road, not moving. Fearing the worst, I pulled over to pick him up and take him to his owners.

He moved and meowed! I put him carefully in my lap and drove straight to the emergency vet. The neighbor's phone number was not on my cell phone, it is on a list of neighbors' numbers on our fridge. My husband was out of town so I could not call him to get the number.

I got Feather in, and he began coming around. The vet X-rayed him, no broken bones, but he did have an abrasion on his shoulder and the vet thought he had been grazed by a car and had a concussion.

They decided to keep him overnight and gave him an antibiotic shot and something else, maybe a steroid or anti-inflammatory med, I can't remember. Since my neighbors are elderly and he is an indoor - outdoor kitty, when I left him and went home, I did not wake them up.

I decided to drop by their home in the morning and tell them what happened, and then go get him and return him to them. So the vet called at 9am, said he was fine, eating, drinking, and using the box normally.

I stopped at their home, told them what happened, and they were awfully grateful. They wanted to reimburse me for the vet bill, but I refused it. It was my decision to care for him, my responsibility to pay for my decision, they are on a fixed income with health issues, and we are healthy and our finances are fine.

I picked him up, and oh! He was back to his sweet self, wanting endless pets and meowing and purring up a storm as usual! I paid the bill, of course, and because it's the emergency vet, it was a bit pricey but they gave me a big discount for getting him off the road and all.

So I got him to his home, and what a joyous reunion! The wife cried. They said they were going to make him an indoor cat from then on, and asked about litter and stuff, and as I have 7 indoor cats, I offered to help.

I then went to a pet store, got a litterbox, the litter my cats like, a pile of toys, a cat bed, and a bag of indoor cat food. I took all this to them, and they were still wanting to reimburse me for the vet bill and fussed at me, so I let them pay me back for the stuff I got at the pet store but not the vet bill. Again, that was my decision and my financial responsibility.

We were already friends and neighbors, but now we're closer friends. I get to visit him any time I wish, and since I miss his visits to our deck, I leave half an hour early for work to visit them and Feather. I bring him treats and he is a very happy indoor kitty and the transition went well. He doesn't even want to go out now, and he is a young kitty, just 4 years old.

So here is the problem with my other friend:

She thinks I should have taken him to the neighbors immediately and let them decide if he should go to the vet or not. She said it was presumptuous of me to assume they would want him taken to a vet and because he was not my cat, it was not my responsibility to make a decision like that for them.

I do see her point. I may have made the wrong decision, but my argument is that I thought he was dead and just pulled over to pick up his body. Then when I found him alive, as a former EMT and firefighter, I didn't know how badly he was hurt and I know that seconds count between life and death. Also I argue that I was not reimbursed for the vet bill and did never, ever ask for any payment and only let them reimburse me for the stuff I bought at the pet store because they insisted.

I told my friend I'd come here and ask your opinions, so she said she'd also like to know. Plus, she doesn't like cats.

What say you?

Hugs!!! To all.
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

I say you did the right thing, you didn't know how badly he was hurt and taking him home if it was critical could have turned out the difference between the time you took him or took him home then took him may have cost him his life. I agree with you. As far as paying the bill that was also your decision, but if the people wanted to pay the bill and they could afford it you could have let them. Either way you probably saved the cat's life, laying in the road like he was someone was sure to run over him.

As far as your friend's opinion its really none of her business, you didn't ask her for the money to pay the bill so it should be of no concern to her. By the sound of it she doesn't like animals so most likely something she'd never do.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I think you did a very kind, and generous thing for your neighbors.

You can be my neighbor, any day!

You did the kindest and most generous thing you could do, and the owners showed their emotional appreciation. Your friend is out of line, her opinion is one of a cat hater. Why let the cat suffer for any more of a time than it had to? Sometimes immediate care is the difference between life and death. I agree with the others, and would be blessed to have a neighbor like you, just the fact that you paid the bill and bought supplies at the pet store show where your heart was, you went above and beyond what many others might do. Feel good about it, ignore you "friend".

Well done!

Don't call her your friend anymore. True friends are understanding and don't get mad at you for saving a cat's life.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Of course you did the right thing and you are a very generous, considerate person. I wish I had you for a neighbor!
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Good work Saav! I'm glad you saved him!!!!!
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Ohhhh thank you all! I was really second-guessing myself, but I'm old and know that when we make decisions, we have to take the consequences and own up to responsibilty.

Dead or no, the responsibilty came to me to get him off the road.

I told my friend of your responses. She still said what I did was wrong and then asked for help with her car payment.

You really don't want to know what I said to that. Thanks, folks!!

Your "friend" really has a lot of nerve to still go on and yet ask for money. How is Feather doing by the way? Thanks to your generosity and help hopefully he's staying inside where it's safe.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Comanche View Post
    I think you did a very kind, and generous thing for your neighbors.

You can be my neighbor, any day!
    This ! I agree we sure could use more neighbors like Saav around my condo ! I recuse 2 cats at my condo and not one person lifted a finger to help the poor cats ! I wouldn't worry about your friend said Saav , your neighbors were very graceful for you helping their cat and that all that matter !

You did the right thing. Maybe your friend is looking at it as if the cat is a piece of property and not a living being.

Quote Originally Posted by catsandcorals View Post
    You did the right thing. Maybe your friend is looking at it as if the cat is a piece of property and not a living being.
    She doesn't like cats, so I am not sure. Cats and dogs and other pets are family .... that's how I am anyways.

I have been seeing Feather and he is the king of the house!!

My friend called yesterday and left a message and also texted me, she needs some more money. I told her to get a freaking job.

Needless to say, we are no longer friends.

But Feather and I are friends now! I walk in their house, he comes running and he is all over me like a bad rash!!

I love this dear, precious cat. And thanks to all of you.

Hugs to all here! This really mattered.

You did a good thing Saav, so happy to hear Feather is doing well and appreciates all you did for him, animals are a good judge of character...hugs. Your friend sounds like a user, glad you dumped her, she needs to get off her duff and fend for herself like we all did as adults. You'll feel some freedom without that chain around your neck.

Tell your ex friend to come back as a cat next time around then you'll help her !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.