Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Puppy afraid of everyone & everything

Puppy afraid of everyone & everything

We just got a 13 week old Alaskan Malamute puppy 2 weeks ago from a breeder. He hasn't adjusted even after 2 weeks, he is scared of every little thing and everyone. We can't even open a wrapper without him running into a corner. We have another Malamute puppy that's really happy & playful that our new puppy is comfortable around but he is still very mellow and submissive. He just seems extremely slow and not there. I know it has only been two weeks but we have had puppies in the past and I've never experienced a puppy with anxiety. He won't even play like a normal puppy and just looks miserable like he was abused his whole life. How am I supposed to train a puppy when it will completely shut down and freeze ( I have never scolded or hurt him in any way!!!) Is there something I can do to help him get out of this behavior? Or will he grow out of it?

Welcome and congratulations on your new pup! How did he act at the breeders house, was he timid and afraid, was he playful with his other littermates, did he seem skittish there?

Well the breeder told us he was a sweet, cuddly, great pup and that they socialize, potty train & start on training basic commands. We had him shipped by plane to us so we didn't get to go there in person to see his personality. We only saw photos and a very quick skype video with him ( he was calm but she was holding him). The breeder had a lot of great reviews and even worked with us on price. They live on a big farm so I guessed maybe that's why he's so skittish not being exposed to a lot of things ( even though the breeder said he did). I can't even look at him , he will just stare and then crouch down like he's in trouble and just shut down completely , he won't even sniff/eat the chicken I offer. I have worked with puppies in the past and never experienced a puppy this bad! Is there hope?

There's always hope, but it does sound like he was abused somehow with the crouching. I worried too at first, because many years ago when I was young we got a beautiful chocolate male Malamute pup from a breeder. When I went there to look at the puppies with my husband, he wasn't as assertive as the other ones and stayed quiet off to the side. He was sweet and affectionate though when he petted him, but always looked a little sad, maybe that's why I picked him, I just connected with him.

Anyhoo, long story short, as time went on we noticed he had trouble climbing up hills, and is hind quarters were atrophied compared to his hugs shoulders. Turns out his back knees were defective and out of joint, we ended up having surgery on both of them and he was never really 'right' after that.

He's too young to have xrayed yet, they only do those things around 2 years old I think, but I would get him checked out thoroughly by the vet and make sure he doesn't have an underlying health problem that's affecting his personality. It concerns me that he won't eat the chicken, is he eating good enough for nutrition, what are you feeding him?

I would be extra gentle with him for now, don't push him on anything and let him come around on his own. Will he follow you from room to room? Does he willingly hang out close to you at all? You can definitely train him, but he has to get over whatever is bothering him. Be there for him, try and make sure your other dog is being nice to him, and take things slow.

Were the breeder's great reviews only on her site? Have you Googled her and found out any reviews that were negative? These days you can't always trust everyone.

When you put his collar and leash him get on the floor and him sniff the items and don't bend over him when putting the leash on . I had my rescue dog about 7 years and he still crouch when I been over him. He a mini poodle mix. I got my dog to jump on the couch so I don't have been over him and he feel much safer this way . I am sure my dog was abused too. I agree go slowing with your puppy and it would be good idea to bring your puppy in for check up a vet may be able to tell if your puppy was hurt during the checkup. It sounds like the breeder wasn't very honest with you. I would love to see a photo of your new puppy .

I meet some people that wanted a toy poodle and they went to a breeder and she said she had some 'toy' poodles . The couple was surprise when their toy poodle didn't stop growing ! They go a min poodle and said they loved the dog so much they didn't bring it back . Yeah you really can't trust people today especially online !

Sorry to hear about the problems your Malamute had. Our vet examined the puppy and said he looked fine but to expose him to a lot of new things. He is quite small for his age , I wonder if he does have a defect of some kind or he's just slower to grow.
    He gets along fine with our other Malamute and will follow him everywhere but with us he cowers away, hides and goes into panic mode. The only place he acts kind of normal is on the bed , he will cuddle , lick and paw at me all playfully so maybe he just needs more time to adjust to everything. I have tried starting basic commands and he panics and shuts down right away even when I offer chicken (tried several different treats and he refused them all) he will he stare at you in terror then put his head down like he's in trouble. When the men in the house even carry him he will panic and poop on them. We are feeding him Pro Plan large breed puppy food but he is a very finicky eater and is constantly looking around when he eats and runs away if there is even the tiniest of sounds.
    I researched the breeder and even contacted several people that purchased a puppy from her (that met her in person) and they said she is a great breeder and their dogs are great.
    I guess I will take things slow , I just want to be able to train him and get him to gain confidence. He's going to be a big dog and fast so I'd like him to know his commands.

I definitely don't think the breeder did any socialization with him at all. I feel like he has only been around other dogs his whole life and I can tell he's been kept outdoors because when he was shipped to us he smelled like he lived in a barn and was full of fleas. She definitely wasn't the easiest person to deal with either but my bf wanted to go ahead and get him. He's sweet but a very very fearful puppy. You can see some photos of him on my IG page Instagram.com/atticus.the.malamute
    His name is Leonidas, he's the little white/red Malamute.

Sounds to me like a puppy mill pup. You didn't meet the breeder, he was shipped, breeder was just interested in getting your money. If you found this breeder on line chances are its a puppy mill or a broker. Good breeders don't list their pups on line, they have waiting lists for puppies, they don't ship them and they want to meet the person and ask you questions before giving you the pup. If it came from Penn, Ohio, Missouri, Nebraska, Kansas, all big time puppy mill states.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

It sounds like you got puppy from a backyard breeder ! Did you have him tested for worms yet? It really sounds like your poor puppy been abused and could of been locked up by himself or tried up outside all the time. Do you see any marks around his neck or feel any scars on his body ? It will take a lot TLC and patience to help your puppy regain his confident and trust in people .

He came from Wyoming and I had to fill out a application for him and she even called 3 references and even my vet (they all told me she called them too). From the photos on her page and from I've heard from other people that purchased from her is that she lives on a big farm and has tons of Malamutes but they are all healthy looking. The people had all great things to say about her. Although dealing with her on the phone and in email was a pain. She has broken English but was very knowledgeable about the breed.

if you are happy with the puppy that's all that matters.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

His stomach was very distended the first few days but it went down. He did seem pretty skinny and like he's the runt. I knew it was a gamble buying online and having him shipped but we really wanted a red/white Malamute and they are hard to find near us (close enough to drive atleast). I have hope for him, my bf is very upset though because he did spend a lot of money on him and the puppy is scared of every single thing, but I will take it slow with him. He has improved in some spots so I do have hope for him.

Do you know if there is any good dog behaviorist near you ? I wouldn't give your puppy any treats while he is acting fearful that will be giving him the wrong idea. A woman had a dog that would go under a couch and growl at the woman . She would give the dog treats while he was growling at her, she thought the treats would made her dog 'like' her . UGH !,She had no idea why her dog kept doing this . She had trained her dog to go under the couch and growl at her . I read this on some pet forum .

Quote Originally Posted by Miaowmiaowz View Post
    I definitely don't think the breeder did any socialization with him at all. I feel like he has only been around other dogs his whole life and I can tell he's been kept outdoors because when he was shipped to us he smelled like he lived in a barn and was full of fleas. She definitely wasn't the easiest person to deal with either but my bf wanted to go ahead and get him. He's sweet but a very very fearful puppy. You can see some photos of him on my IG page Instagram.com/atticus.the.malamute
    His name is Leonidas, he's the little white/red Malamute.
    It sounds like the breeder is not reputable, the people you talked to about her were probably recommended by her as referrals...you can't trust those people's recommendations. Even a good backyard breeder would have loved and socialized the puppy to help shape his personality. It seems like they not only neglected this pup, but might have scolded, hit or abused him....so sad.

I bought one of my Standard Schnauzers sight unseen many years ago. The breeder had a good reputation and did NOT advertise her litters online. When he arrived at the airport, he was in perfect health, smelled wonderful, and was happy to be with us as soon as we left the airport. He was well balanced and not afraid at all. Reputable breeders do not send their puppies out to the new owners with fleas.

You have to help him to overcome his fears, the fact that he will cuddle with you on the bed is a good sign. He can change, he is young, you can have a nice companion with some extra tender loving care and understanding. Please post a picture of him for us to see here.

http://www.petforums.com/showthread....r-Create-Album

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.