Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another house training query

Unhappy Another house training query

I have a 4 month old Cockapoo. She is lovely but does not seem to understand why she should go pee outside. She will bark and whine to go out to poo but is content to pee on the carpet inside. I try to keep her in the kitchen most of the time with puppy pads at the back door in case of accidents. She doesn't use the puppy pads and doesn't pee on the floor in the kitchen. We let her into the garden at least every hour, after meals and when she wakes up and give her a treat and much praise when she pee's and poo's outside.

If she is let into the lounge however, or anywhere where there is carpet, and she needs to go, she pee's on it. She makes no effort to go out to the kitchen to use the puppy pads or to whine at the back door. She heads under our large dining table and pee's there. We thought we would thwart that and moved the table to the other side of the room and treated the carpet with probiotic, before thoroughly shampoo'ing. She went under the table in the new position today just 10 mins after coming in from the garden! We have been at this now for 4 weeks, please help anyone. What are we doing wrong??

I could go over the whole housebreaking thing with you but first I want you to try this. Wipe up the pee with a rag or paper towel, take it outside and put it where you want her to go, the scent may stimulate her to go. Clean up everyplace where she went with something that takes the scent of the pee out of the carpets. Lastly leash her to you that way you can catch her before she goes, if she starts to squat say "outside" and take her out immediately. If all else fails keep her crated when you can't watch her every minute.

I find teaching words like "outside" and "go potty" works great.

If these tips don't help let me know and we'll start the housebreaking over from scratch. She is not untrainable.

You can also get a pee sample and take it to the vet to have it analyzed, she could have a UTI, with a uti they will look for soft places to pee because it burns when they go. If its not an infection then you know its a behavioral things that needs to be worked on. Another thing, get rid of the puppy pads.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I'll try these things over the weekend and let you know how it goes. Thanks for your quick reply.

never scold or punish her if she goes in the house, that will make her afraid of you and she'll look for corners to go in or someplace where you can't see her. Where she is pooping outside it should be an easy transition to get her to go pee outside, just keep her leashed to you so you can catch any accidents before they happen. If she starts sniffing or circling around take her out right away, say "outside" and when outside say "go potty", you'll be surprised how fast they catch on
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

We have been doing that, apart from having her leashed to us. We work at home, so I think the idea of having her in the crate when we cannot give her our full attention is probably better than leashing her. I have known her pee right at my feet while I was on the phone and I think she would still do that even if she was leashed to me.

Just to be clear about the garden, she will pee in the garden whenever we take her out. She has no problem going on the lawn and she seems to have her favoured places already, its just that she will also pee inside. We do not smack her, or shout, although it is hard not to show irritation when she has just come in from the garden 10 mins before. it is still up to us to try and judge when she might want to go and read her body language, it only takes a moments loss of focus on her and an accident can happen. I had hoped that she would start to indicate to us when she wanted to go by now............am I asking too much, too soon?

No you are not expecting to much from her, at four months she should be well on her way to be completely trained. I've had my shepherds trained in as little as three weeks. But I crate trained, once they knew to tell me when they had to go out I didn't use the crate anymore except when I had to go out, at four months they are still not what I'd call reliable if no one was home. They can only hold it one hour for every month old they are, but if you work from home there is no reason she can't let you know. You could also try teaching her to use a bell to let you know, hang a bell by the door and show her how to ring it, every time she rings the bell take her out and soon she'll associate the bell with going outside.

The bell sounds like a good idea, I think I'll look for some of those. Thanks

worst case senario you can always put a belly band on her

As soon as you see her start to pee, or even think about it, pick her up immediately, mid-stream if needed, tell her "No" in a firm but calm voice, and place her on the pad. She can finish there, or even if she's done it is a lesson learned. I did this with all my puppies over the years, had newspaper in the kitchen. You can use white vinegar mixed with water to clean up the carpet in addition to any cleaners or odor removing products you might be using. Don't use anything with an ammonia smell like Windex, urine smells like ammonia...counterproductive.

As soon as you set her down on the paper, tell her something like "You Go Here". If you witness her walking over to the pad on her own and using it, you must calmly praise her and give a tiny treat. Positive training is very successful!

She is only a baby, but she's the perfect age to learn where she needs to go. None of my dogs made a fuss to let me know they had to go out, even my dog now at 2+ years, will just stand there and look at me, until I "read" that he needs to go out. He's perfectly housetrained though, if I'm gone a few hours I still put paper down sometimes, but so far he's never had the need to use them.

If she wets the carpet, absorb it right away with paper towels, and if possible rub a little bit of urine on the pad in the kitchen, so the scent is there. Good luck, and by the way, welcome to the forum!

Thanks, I’m doing all this now but it’s good to know I’m doing the right thing.��

Linda2147, what’s a belly band?

a belly band is a device that you put a sanitary napkin in to catch dribbles.

this site will tell you how to measure the dog to get the right size https://www.bellybands.net/product/girl-belly-bands/
    Last edited by linda2147; 10-13-2017 at 08:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SueC View Post
    Thanks, I’m doing all this now but it’s good to know I’m doing the right thing.��
    I have to say that I've always confined my pups to the kitchen with the newspapers, using a little gate. That's how they didn't soil my carpeting. Only when I was completely supervising them, did I let them into another room, so I could correct them as soon as they looked like they were going to go to the bathroom. That's the only way they all learned so well.

The last pup, dog I have now, showed he was reliable on the carpet in the living room, adjoining the kitchen. Only then did I let him have both rooms at night, so he could walk into the kitchen if he had to and use the papers, a little night light is needed so they can find their way around.

Only when he proved he could stay the night without soiling the living room carpet, did he get run of the house day and night. I don't advise using diapers for any dog unless they have a health problem, they can and should be trained to relieve themselves in the appropriate areas, indoors or out.

It takes time and some dedication, but a well trained adult dog is such a blessing and joy to have in the home. Best not to make it more complicated than it really is, they just need you to show them what and what not to do, they are eager to learn and please. They don't like to walk in and around their own messes either.

Would you believe it, Molly stayed at a friends house today as we needed to be out all day and she has asked at the door to go out all day, no accidents at all. She has never been to the house before and she just sat at the door she entered the house by every time she needed to pee.

This is a much smaller house. There is a much smaller distance between the lounge and the door, perhaps this makes a difference?

good girl, she's catching on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.