Cat won't let me give meds for UTI

Cat won't let me give meds for UTI

My 3 year old cat pees in weird places about 3-4 x a year and his urine is occasionally strong smelling. He does not show any other symptoms of having a UTI. I was able to gather enough urine off of a dog bed he peed on and took it to the vet for analysis. The vet thought he may have a UTI(white blood cells). She gave me pills to give 2x a day for 10 days. I've tried putting them in pill pockets, hiding it in wet food/tuna, and I tried wrapping him in a blanket and using my finger and a pill popper. None of it worked. He went insane when I put the pill in his mouth scratching, yowling, shaking his head and biting hard. He spit the pill out severa times. I then crushed the pill and put it in water. I was able to squirt this in his mouth but about half of it splashed all over the place when he pulled back and shook. He was gagging and foaming at the mouth at this point. I don't know what to do. Is there a transdermal gel, or a one time injection he could get? If not I may have to wait 3 months until my husband gets home because this really is a two person job. Note I have given meds to cats before by myself without issue. This cat is just extremely feisty and has to be sedated before he goes to the vet. I really don't know what to do. Any advise?

I've had to give Jake a Dasaquin capsule every other day and also have given my other cats pills over the years as well. I have the pill ready along with some soft cat food and I dip the pill (or capsule) in the food. I then open Jake's mouth and just pop it in the back...making sure he swallows it. I talk to him in soothing tones to tell him that he needs this pill or he'll get sick. He listens to my voice and then has some of his food. I'll also pet him afterwards and praise him. You have to be confident with yourself and not be afraid. You can do this!
    “Save a life and save a stray”

there is a long lasting antibiotic shot the vet can give. I don't recommend it but if all else fails you do what you have to do.

I've given mine anti biotics, I kind of squeeze both sides of his mouth and pop the pill in, hold the head up and rub his throat to make sure he swallows it.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

When my first cat needed an antibiotic twice a day, Mom found a pill on the floor. Apparently Emily (the cat) waited for Mom to leave and spit it out. The vet ordered a paste that technicians could give her in the waiting room. I will never do that again because Emily became afraid of Mom, but it does not hurt to ask.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Quote Originally Posted by Azalea View Post
    My 3 year old cat pees in weird places about 3-4 x a year and his urine is occasionally strong smelling. He does not show any other symptoms of having a UTI. I was able to gather enough urine off of a dog bed he peed on and took it to the vet for analysis. The vet thought he may have a UTI(white blood cells). She gave me pills to give 2x a day for 10 days. I've tried putting them in pill pockets, hiding it in wet food/tuna, and I tried wrapping him in a blanket and using my finger and a pill popper. None of it worked. He went insane when I put the pill in his mouth scratching, yowling, shaking his head and biting hard. He spit the pill out severa times. I then crushed the pill and put it in water. I was able to squirt this in his mouth but about half of it splashed all over the place when he pulled back and shook. He was gagging and foaming at the mouth at this point. I don't know what to do. Is there a transdermal gel, or a one time injection he could get? If not I may have to wait 3 months until my husband gets home because this really is a two person job. Note I have given meds to cats before by myself without issue. This cat is just extremely feisty and has to be sedated before he goes to the vet. I really don't know what to do. Any advise?
    What were the pills the vet gave you, description and dose may help you find an alternative means of administering for that particular medication? I'm lucky, the only meds I've had to give my cat were liquid, given with a syringe.

I had a cat that I had to wrap up like a mummy in a towel with only his head poking out and hold him with one hand and force his mouth open with my other hand and poke the pill in his mouth all while my cat was calling me every name in the book ! And he had to take pills for a few days .

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
    I had a cat that I had to wrap up like a mummy in a towel with only his head poking out and hold him with one hand and force his mouth open with my other hand and poke the pill in his mouth all while my cat was calling me every name in the book ! And he had to take pills for a few days .
    That is called a burrito wrap. Patricia would not let me do that. I had to cover her up as she lay in my bed like a human.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    That is called a burrito wrap. Patricia would not let me do that. I had to cover her up as she lay in my bed like a human.
    LOL! I haven't thought of calling it a burrito wrap ! My cat put up a good fight and it wasn't easy wrapping the towel around him . Cats are worst patients than dogs !

Quote Originally Posted by Nightowl View Post
    LOL! I haven't thought of calling it a burrito wrap! My cat put up a good fight and it wasn't easy wrapping the towel around him. Cats are worse patients than dogs!
    I saw a picture on www.funnycatpix.com of a cat so tightly wrapped in a towel only its face was visible. The caption was Purrito.

As an owner of seven cats, I grab them, scruff them so they don't move with one hand and force their mouths open with the other hand and shove the pill down their throat and close their mouths shut until they swallow. They always gulp it down and then let them go ...

And they don't come near you for hours!!!

But it has worked for me.
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.