Jack Russel Itchy skin/paws and "hotspots"

Jack Russel Itchy skin/paws and "hotspots"

Hi All,

I have a female jack russell (2 years old) with very bad skin sensitivity. She has hot spots (itchy red spots) and itchy paws. Any advice would be appreciated. Example, what food, medicine, etc will be best to treat these symptoms?

Have you contacted your vet's office for their recommendation? Sorry I'm not sure what to give that's a safe over-the-counter type medication.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

signs of an allergy, take her to a dog dermatologist where they will do skin scrapings and see what she is allergic to then if necessary they will make up something to give her a shot every ten days. Do not let the vet give her give her the cylopoint shot, this is a new anti itch drug and some dogs do ok with it other's do not. it has not been tested long enough and is NOT FDA approved

For now give her baths in myleceb shampoo and resicourt conditioner, do not rinse off the conditioner, leave it on. When she comes in from outside use unscented baby wipes and wipe her feet, her belly and her face. Give benadryl or hydroxazine for the itch, use no scented products around her in the house, such as air fresheners, perfumes ect. use unscented soap to wash her bedding.

If its a food allergy change the protein source in the food. Rabbit, duck and fish and sweet potato is usually recommended for a food allergy. Make sure whatever you are feeding her is grain free. Most food allergies are to wheat and corn, but sometimes beef, chicken and chicken products (eggs) could be the allergin.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Marl View Post
    Hi All,

I have a female jack russell (2 years old) with very bad skin sensitivity. She has hot spots (itchy red spots) and itchy paws. Any advice would be appreciated. Example, what food, medicine, etc will be best to treat these symptoms?
    Hi and welcome! My dog has been itchy for around a month now, and I just started him on Dinovite a couple of days ago, so it will be awhile before any results are seen, although the itching is not as bad as it was. http://www.dinovite.com/reviews/itching-scratching/

Before I got the Dinovite, I was giving him a Krill Oil softgel daily, omega 3 fish oils and coconut oil are good for the skin, coconut oil can be given internally or applied to the skin, but it's oily and may stain furniture until it soaks in. The hot spots can be treated with the cortisone spray and application of extra virgin coconut oil.

Another thing I did was remove the source of protein that he was getting a lot of at the time, just giving him a break from it. I was feeding canned Wellness Turkey, and giving made in the USA chicken jerky treats. I switched to Wellness Lamb, Beef, etc.

I would give a bath with a gentle shampoo and conditioner to Zymox is the brand I chose, bought it from Petco. You can also buy cortisone spray for itching to use on particular spots, I have Essential Pet brand.

Have do examined closely for fleas, flea 'dirt'/droppings on your dog. Have you used a flea comb and put the dog on a white sheet to see if there is any tiny black dots, if they change a reddish color when wet, then that's the dog's blood, and it is fleas.

Sometimes a dog's system can be overrun with yeast too, the Dinovite will help that, but you should also give a probiotic to help control yeast, there are probiotic supplements for pets and people, or you can use plain unsweetened yogurt if he likes it.

What food are you feeding? Do you use fragranced carpet cleaners, detergents, etc? That might also cause itching and allergies.

Hi yes i hav had her at the vet but they just give her cortisone which long term is not healthy for them.

Hi. Im feeding my jack russell at the moment kibbles called Liebe which ive just started so will hav to see how it goes. She was previously on Breeders Recipe which is gluten free, thats not helping either.
    Ive also tried prescribed vets kibbles but she refuses to eat it. Ive no carpets and use very little skip to wash her blankets.

Hi linda, ive had her on kibbles called Breeders Recipe which is gluten free but doesnt help so now trying Liebe kibbles. Thanks alot for all the ibfo i really appreciated it and will try. Ill do anything for her.

if you think its a food allergy you have to change the protein source. If its chicken based change to duck or rabbit, it could take up to 12 weeks to notice any change, if it envriomental that's more tricky, as it could be anything. For the hot spots you need to shave the area down to the skin, wash the area with something anti bacterial then put bag balm on it.. If she laps off the bag balm it won't hurt her but try to rub it in good. She should also be on a probiotic daily.

How long has she been itchy, if its something new, what is different? Your best option is to take her to a dog dermatologist, they can do skin scrapings and other tests to find out exactly what she is allergic to.

Under NO circumstances let the vets put her on Atopica (cortosporin) Atopica kills the t cells and cancer takes over. read the reviews on atopica before you start using it. They will try to convince you that the atopica is short term, only until the skin calms down, but dogs that are perfectly healthy other than the skin issue have been diagnosed with stage 5 cancer in a matter of months after starting atopica.

If its a food allergy you might want to consider feeding her a raw diet. No shots under any circumstances, shots are for healthy dogs, with her skin issues she is not a healthy dog, until you get this under control, NO shots
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Marl View Post
    Hi linda, ive had her on kibbles called Breeders Recipe which is gluten free but doesnt help so now trying Liebe kibbles. Thanks alot for all the ibfo i really appreciated it and will try. Ill do anything for her.
    I see you must not live in the USA. I'm not familiar with Liebe kibble, so I looked up the ingredients....very vague, sounds like a poor food to me. What kind of "meat" and derivatives, cereals can be anything, what kind of "derivatives" from vegetable origin, what kind of oils and fats, which vitamins??

I would get a higher quality food that lists exactly what's in there, chicken, turkey, lamb, beef and more particular details of ingredients. Also feed a wet or canned food daily in addition, for example today I'm using Wellness canned, ingredients BEEF, water sufficient for processing, natural flavors , cassia gum, carageenan.

Ingredients: Meat and animal derivatives, Cereals* (min 4% rice), derivatives of vegetable origin, vegetable protein extracts, oils and fats, minerals, vitamins and approved anti-oxidants. (*contains at least 5% genetically modified organisms).
    http://www.petforums.com/showthread....t=food+ratings

to quote my vet " hmmm..... its allergies ". please skip the expense of numeral tests and advice and go straight to a dermatologist

avoid the obvious with food, beef, chicken, eggs, grain. soy and dairy.. for a jack. no more than half a 4mg piriton a day till you see vet

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.