Vets are money pits !

Vets are money pits !

having wasted i dont know how much money on diagnosing my very itchy dog (11 months 2 weeks) since she was 4 months , im very unhappy ! first they said it was juvenille demodex and after being treated with Advocate (fail) then Bravecto WIN ! which happened at about 6 months and after many skin scrapes which she had under a sedative because the first 1 distressed her so much, she developed a very early fear of the vet.

she still scratched ! so they decided it must be an allergy.... so again she was sedated and blood was taken for an allergy panel (500). wouldnt you think that they would do enviroment AND food ?....nooooo...... they just did enviroment ! flea bites, williams grass and storage mites. following their advice, i kept her food in the freezer ( to avoid storage mites). kept her away from her favourite play areas (the canal and fields to avoid williams grass). embarrassed myself hugely by dropping into conversation with other dog owners " oh by the way, how often do you deflea ? " (because i was paranoid about fleas )...... still she scratched !

so on return to the vet, they said its definatly a food allergy. so i threw oout all her bones and treats and embarked on an allergy free diet and perchased a vet designed food 27 for 2 kilo) and fed her only salmon and hypoallergenic treats..... still she scratches !

back to the vet yesterday , where i was informed that all my efforts with the enviromental allergies are a waste of time because its carried on the wind ! also freezing her dry food is a waste of time because storage mites are all over houses ...... as for the diet ? they just dont know and are now sending her to a dermatologist.

my advice to any owner of an itchy dog is to skip the vet and go straight to a dermatologist

That's what I told you in your first post. I also suggest a raw diet. I have fed a raw diet for many years and many dogs, one had an allergy to flees but none of the others had allergies of any kind.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

yes ! i would very much like to learn how to raw feed. i think at the mo , she is very conditioned. i know we should avoid beef and chicken but id love to try her on rabbit

you said the vet said it wasn't a food allergy, try going with chicken first and see how that works out for you. Grind the chicken bones and all, or use whatever else protein source you want, get a box of honest kitchen, mix 1/4 cup of the honest kitchen with warm water, let it set until it all absorbs then mix it with the raw meat, that is all the fruits and veggies she needs in her diet, add 1 spoonful of missing link for skin and coat, that is all the vitamins and minerals she needs in her diet. then I give one probiotic, one fish oil pill, one vitamin e pill and two glucosamine/cosequin that is chewables (that goes by weight) my shepherd takes two, your jack would probably only be one.

Feed roughly 2% of the dog's body weight a day. Important to grind the bones with the meat, if they don't get enough bone they will have loose stools and anal gland problems, if you don't want to grind the bones add powdered bone meal to the mixture, just make sure its for animals because they also make a bone meal for plants which is toxic to animals

if you don't want to go with chicken go with duck, rabbit or lamb, still grind it up to mix the honest kitchen with You want to stay away from carbs, carbs are anything that is white, potatoes, rice, bread spaghetti and carrots.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.