training ?

training ?

i have my 3rd staffie and never imposed training on any of them ( apart from toilet) . i dont believe there is any need for commands or treats on good behaviour.... dogs can read you very well. normally a look or a simple gesture is enough

I'm not interested in teaching them tricks but I do think some commands should be taught and enforced. Like come, drop it, and the word no, these commands may save their live someday.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I have to disagree, I think training is needed, especially for safety reasons. If your dog runs out the front door and into the street, he can be hit by a car or cause an accident which injures or kills people. Teaching them to "Stay", can effectively keep them inside the house. If you have them loose like we do when we're alone in the wood camping, then if they are heading toward a dangerously rushing river or high cliff, then the "No" or "Come" command is mandatory. All these commands should be done with positive training including treats and praise, in my opinion. Nothing wrong with giving them kudos for anything they do that's good, it makes them well balanced and happy.

impletely agree with you on keeping dogs safe..... my dog does return and heel.... just not under any training im aware off

someone had to train them, dogs don't train themselves. They are like kids, they never learn anything good on their own
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I think you SHOULD train your dog(s) tricks! It helps you and your dog bond and it is fun for both of you.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Totally agree with Linda, a dog having a good grasp of basic commands could be a lifesaver.

sorry about this thread. i think i misquoted. my choice of breed is the staffordshire bull terrier. my 3rd over 26 yrs. never had an incident. of course my dogs have always known basic commands but with very little signal from me. they have always been harnessed and behave impeccibly in public. my problem has always been inconsiderate owners that let their dogs offlead while on the road/ street. while my dog is absolutely happy to be oflead and play with any dog in an open space. she absolutely hates being confronted by a dog in the street who is offlead while she is harnessed. way too often i have to shout...... please lead your dog...... the reply normally comes. oh, its ok mines friendly..... how do these people not understand dog psychology ? i have had to change my walk route a few times because of stupid dog owners. not because Sash is dangerous but because shes in a state of harness where she walks beside me and crosses the road on my look
    they love you despite what you do

sorry . laptop died. i think my point is..... although my dog doesnt run and fetch, in fact she wlll eat the ball right in front of you and she wont give paw for a biscuit but she will leap 6 ft for 1. she is impecible in public due to my awareness of her breed and teaching her very early on what is and isnt acceptable from a bully breed (subconciosly). this is why i think training is unnecessry. its instinctive
    they love you despite what you do

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.