Dog has stopped eating all together

Unhappy Dog has stopped eating all together

I have a 14 y/o male dog. He is an mixed breed dog, of pomerian and most likely Indian pariah(Not sure, no one knows).

About a month ago, he got aural hematoma in one of his ears. We phoned the vet and he said it's nothing to be much worried about, and that it should go off on it's own in few months, otherwise, we can have surgery. So we decided not to have a surgery. While he became somewhat quiet, he had no other issues for about a month. He continued to bark at cats, and to ask for eatable sticks every night.

Now though, he has completely refused to eat anything, even the food he likes most, like chicken or eggs or banana or even dog food. For first 2-3 days, I managed to convince him to eat somewhat, but for last 2 days, he has not eaten anything. Today, I tried giving him chicken soup, but he won't drink it. He has also developed weakness in hind legs, and finds it's difficult to walk properly. I suspect he has degenerative myelopathy.

What's alarming is that all this happened in a matter of 1-2 days.

I can't take him to vet because I'm jobless and have no money to pay huge fees of the vet, and my parents won't pay the fees either. What could I do to make him eat food, or if there is nothing I can do regarding this, what else could I do to make him feel better?

get some baby food, chicken or turkey, warm it just a little so he can get the scent and see if he'll eat that. Most importantly he needs to be drinking, if he won't drink get some pedialite and even if you have to put it in a syringe and force him to take it he has to have liquids. They can go a few days without eating but they need to drink. He is an old dog and probably had more issues than you realize.

Lift some skin either on his neck or back, if it goes back down he's not dehydrated but if it stays up and slowly goes back down he is dehydrated and he needs to see a vet to have them give him fluids under the skin. The dog is not well and he really needs to see a vet
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. I agree with Linda's advice but I'll add that you can buy the generic version of Pedialyte (flavorless of course) at Walmart. I'm no expert but the weakness in his legs doesn't sound good and I would try to get a vet's help. I understand about not having the money but some vets will give you a break on the cost or have a payment plan...also Care Credit card offers interest free payment card. Could you borrow money from other family members or friends? I've been though things with my cats that one day they're fine and the next thing you know they are getting worse over a few days...but you need to try and turn things around to get him better. Please keep us posted.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I'm sorry to hear your dog is so sickly. Years ago when my older dog was refusing to eat, it mixed a raw egg, the contents of a capsule of natural vitamin E, and the contents of a capsule of vitamin B-50 complex, it was slowly put into the side of his mouth with a turkey baster. After several days of feeding him like this, he got strong enough to eat on his own again. You can also give water with a small syringe (minus the needle), always administer it slowly, because if they don't have a chance to swallow it properly and they aspirate it into their lungs, it could be critical. Good luck with your boy, please let us know if he improves. Welcome.

Thanks for the tips people, but it's too late. He died couple of hours ago.

Had an attack, then panted heavily for some time, and finally gave in. I knew he was unlikely to make through. I had tried giving him everything that he liked, dog sticks, pedigree, banana(which was the last thing he ate 2 days ago), chicken.

I just wish I could have decreased his pain a little bit, I have never felt so helpless ever. All I could do was sit by his side and pat his head. I feel like I didn't do my part of the relationship.

Anyway, now I have buried him in the backyard. I'll plant a tree there someday.

I'm sorry you lost your dog. He was an old dog and had a good long life. Sometimes no matter what we do it just isn't enough. We can't stop time and as much as we hate to see it we all grow old and dogs so much quicker than humans. You did the best you could for him. He will live on in your memory.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I'm so sorry for your loss. I didn't expect that outcome and neither did you and unfortunately we've all been in your shoes. You were with him at the end and I hope that brings you some comfort. We do the best we can but some things are beyond our control. I meant to ask...what was his name?
    “Save a life and save a stray”

You shouldn't be hard on yourself ,your dog lived a full life and you did do your part of the relationship . I am sorry for the lost of your friend.

Sorry you lost him.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I didn't expect that outcome and neither did you and unfortunately we've all been in your shoes. You were with him at the end and I hope that brings you some comfort. We do the best we can but some things are beyond our control. I meant to ask...what was his name?
    His name was Banti. Yes, it brings me some comfort that at least I was with him in his final moments.

His death taught me 2 important lessons,
    1. Financial Independence is very important
    2. Don't be an a**h***. I did not keep good relations with people. No one could rely on me for help, so when I needed help, neither did I had anyone whom I could rely on.

Bye

I am so sorry, One, that you lost your friend! I have lost several beloved pets and I know how hard it is and how bad you feel.

The lessons are valuable ones, but still you gave Banti one very important thing: love. Having you for his person, knowing he wasn't alone in the world was something very important. It may be that it just was time for him to die, a vet may not have been able to help, that does happen. if he was 14 he did have a good long life for a dog.

My prayers,
    Jane

we've all been there. The grieving process is most important. There is a ton of on line info available. Above all, don't bottle up your feelings. Let it in and let it out. Time (if spent correctly) DOES heal most wounds. Please let us know how you are doing.

I wonder how reader is doing she /he hasn't been back online for awhile .

Thinking the same @Nightowl. This is heartbreaking. I had tears.

Saying a critter prayer for all of us. May we all be able to get our precious pets the help they need, when they need it, and bless us and our pets always.

Hugs
    Saav
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.