Results 1 to 13 of 13

Dog Dementia DIY?

  1. #1

    Dog Dementia DIY?

    Hello everyone

    My almost 14 (Feb 16th) year old male bichon has doggyzeimers. Noticed after his second dental (one in jan 2016 and one in jan 2017). Wouldn't walk outside. Just.would.not. I had to practically drag him. He stopped playing with his favorite toy. He has been so whiney. It became worse when I moved to a new place.



    He has been seen by two vets, all blood work is fine and has no other problems. Hips/knees/neck - good. Vision - good. Eats well - eliminates fine. No problems with health other then the pacing, panting, freaking out for no reason, getting "lost" - standing in corners of living room, looking at ceiling when I call him, etc etc etc.

    It is frustrating. He has been on a GREAT dog food - no problems with digestive or allergy issues *which he has at times, and is why I feed him a really good dog food. He has been shown to have reaction to grains and even GRASS! omg.

    He also had a frightening episode in 2010 when the vet gave him his annual shots. Face became swollen, head began going in circles, began to vomit...he was having an anaphylactic episode - no more shots for him.

    So, he's more reactive. I did whatever I needed to help him and he has been fairly healthy until now.

    I began to supplement with a vit b complex from his vet, Krill oil that I cut caps and let oil mix in food, digestive cap is opened and sprinkled on food, anxiety drops that are homeopathic, coconut oil, colloidal silver for dental issue (recent vet visit the vet wants to remove ALL of his teeth), and recently CBD oil. Cannabis oil for dogs. This latest one has resulted in Sam having MAJOR tummy issues in the middle of the night -- we were both up until 330 am and I am exhausted.

    He paced, panted, whined and walked in circles. NOTHING would calm him. Then came a loose stool and he was fine. OMG. 330 am and cleaning up that is not great. But he's my furbaby and it is what it is. Doesn't help we are moving again due to a FLEA infestation in the building I live (was told by friends it's a great place and they are "pet friendly"). And I have boxes of stuff - not in his path, but I must load the car and begin delivering things/items I don't want broken or lost by movers.

    Enough about me. How can I help this guy? He reacts to everything. Accupuncture? Doggy massage? Aqua treadmill?

    Open for new suggestions and on second huge cup of very.strong.coffee...whilst he snores. God I love him.
    Please stop the abuse and do NOT buy pets from a store. Adopt a throw away pet from the shelter please. + ♥ =

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    5,891
    not much you can do when he's having his "episodes" just have to wait till its over and he comes more normal. But I would NOT let the vet put him under for any dental work, he is to old and may not wake up. Just love him and comfort him, he's an old man let things go at their own pace.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,755
    Poor little guy, I had a dog who showed signs of dementia around that age, forgot what he was doing and I had to watch him like a puppy again. Putting them under anesthesia so often is not good, it affects the brain and memory, just like it does in humans. I'd worry too about doing it one more time with him, that might be the last.

    I like the supplements you're giving him, I don't see anything wrong with that. Sorry that you had to move and now have to move again, that's very stressful for both you and the dog. He's probably losing hearing too which is causing him to act like that. Be there for him, make him as safe, quiet and comfortable feeling as you can. Glad he had that bowel movement even if it was loose, he has to feel a bit better now.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Poor little guy, I had a dog who showed signs of dementia around that age, forgot what he was doing and I had to watch him like a puppy again. Putting them under anesthesia so often is not good, it affects the brain and memory, just like it does in humans. I'd worry too about doing it one more time with him, that might be the last.

    I like the supplements you're giving him, I don't see anything wrong with that. Sorry that you had to move and now have to move again, that's very stressful for both you and the dog. He's probably losing hearing too which is causing him to act like that. Be there for him, make him as safe, quiet and comfortable feeling as you can. Glad he had that bowel movement even if it was loose, he has to feel a bit better now.
    Thanks. I am not sure I want to start him on anipryl *sp? for his moments. I would like something a bit stronger to calm - I might even give it to HIM! j/k It is alot of work. I barely leave him anymore. I feel responsible, in a way. His body and health is GREAT! His mind? Not so much.

    That's always the way, no? My daughter's 16 year old bichon/poodle mix became ill with a mast cell tumor. She was great after surgery but more showed up that the chemo and radiation couldn't stop. She was at the time of her passing, the smartest and brightest little girl. Just seems her health and little body called it quits.

    So sad. He is whining aloud now. And there in NOTHING he truly needs/wants. He just cries/whines all.the.time.

    I am wining myself. A nice merlot

    Thanks again.
    Please stop the abuse and do NOT buy pets from a store. Adopt a throw away pet from the shelter please. + ♥ =

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,755
    Here's a video I found when searching about Anipryl, it might just be worth a look for you....hugs, the whining must be very troubling, thinking of you, maybe the herbs mentioned in this video may help.


  6. #6
    Thank you so much. I have seen the video and have ordered the suggested supps. I can't wait! He seems much better today *25th. I have lowered the amounts of the other supps I have been giving him and will basically stop them to begin the new ones and see how he does.

    I appreciate the help you gave me. And Sam appreciates it too! I know he wasn't feeling too good. I can't wait to start him on the new goodies. I'll keep you posted.
    Please stop the abuse and do NOT buy pets from a store. Adopt a throw away pet from the shelter please. + ♥ =

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    not much you can do when he's having his "episodes" just have to wait till its over and he comes more normal. But I would NOT let the vet put him under for any dental work, he is to old and may not wake up. Just love him and comfort him, he's an old man let things go at their own pace.
    I worried that he had a pretty bad infection in his mouth. I just didn't want to take the chance. He always did have poor teeth. Now, less :*(

    No more dentals. He gets his teeth cleaned by his groomer, now. He like getting out and she loves him.


    Thank you from Sam and me for the info!!
    Please stop the abuse and do NOT buy pets from a store. Adopt a throw away pet from the shelter please. + ♥ =

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,755
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbaraM View Post
    Thank you so much. I have seen the video and have ordered the suggested supps. I can't wait! He seems much better today *25th. I have lowered the amounts of the other supps I have been giving him and will basically stop them to begin the new ones and see how he does.

    I appreciate the help you gave me. And Sam appreciates it too! I know he wasn't feeling too good. I can't wait to start him on the new goodies. I'll keep you posted.
    If the supplements do work, just keep in mind it always takes some time before any improvement is noticed. I would not worry to much about eliminating the coconut oil, it should be okay to keep using that. I'd also research the side effects and drug (supplement/herb) interactions with the CBD oil, if it's safe to keep using, I'd keep using that too. I don't know enough about it to give an opinion, but these cannabis derivatives can be very helpful for people and pets I understand. Hugs to you and Sam.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    PA USA
    Posts
    2,495
    Sorry to hear about Sam but we do our best and take each day as a gift. It's tough though but we're here to support you both
    “Save a life and save a stray”

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    181
    Try adding coconut oil to your dog's diet. After seeing a thread in the forum about coconut oil I did a search on its benefits because my dog is always scratching, and I was surprised that some claim it helps prevent and even reduce the effects of dementia. Who knows, maybe it will help your pooch.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    10,755
    Quote Originally Posted by mechi2 View Post
    Try adding coconut oil to your dog's diet. After seeing a thread in the forum about coconut oil I did a search on its benefits because my dog is always scratching, and I was surprised that some claim it helps prevent and even reduce the effects of dementia. Who knows, maybe it will help your pooch.
    Barbara said she was already using coconut oil in the first post here. Coconut oil does have a lot of benefits, I try to take some myself daily to ward off memory problem in old age.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Barbara said she was already using coconut oil in the first post here. Coconut oil does have a lot of benefits, I try to take some myself daily to ward off memory problem in old age.
    Oops, sorry didn't notice.

  13. #13
    Thank you everyone for your kindness for Sam. I had to remove the CBD oil for he had tummy upset - he is allergic/symptomatic to grass so I am not certain if that played a role in the messy BM's or not - but I can't take a chance for he sleeps on my white duvet and he has issues jumping off the bed. *The bed/mattress is about 20 inches from the padded carpeting...and he will NOT jump up/down any more. Used to like crazy.

    Not sure if his vision has been changed due to a cherry eye removal recently, or not. The big red growth in the corner of his eye was HUGE. He had it for approx five years and it was always small. Last two years, it kept getting larger, and I felt it was time for removal. He was not put in an E Collar right after surgery and he scratched the sutures open. Now, he has a bit of an ulceration on his eye I wonder if that could be why he has issues?

    He jumps over the cracks in the sidewalks? Funny to watch, but... he also has problems with up/down stairs. He just cannot judge distance. He has good days and bad days. I carry him quite a bit just to ease his little troubled soul. He loves his walks...

    As for the NEW TREATMENT: I have received two of the items I ordered for dementia - so far - and the last one should be delivered tomorrow. Can't wait. Will go slowly.

    I will keep you all posted
    (I use coconut oil in my coffee!! LOVES IT)

    (((hugs)))
    Last edited by BarbaraM; 10-31-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: clarification
    Please stop the abuse and do NOT buy pets from a store. Adopt a throw away pet from the shelter please. + ♥ =

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-13-2014, 06:24 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-09-2013, 08:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Mom Forum - Senior Forums - Health Forum - Low Carb Forum