New Kitten, Unvetted, Food related questions

New Kitten, Unvetted, Food related questions

Hi there,

Im a big fan of forums so now that my girlfriend and I have gotten our first kitten together, I decided to find a place like this to ask questions on top of other research.

Some backstory:

We live in Brazil and our new kitten was found with a small litter in a box on the side of a road. The person who found them took care of them for about a week and adopted them out, but was not able to take them to a vet or shelter (shelters are impossibly full here) and we adopted one of them. The person in care said he may have fleas and is malnourished. We have a friend who is a university professor and veterinarian who is going to help us but we just arrived back into our city this morning with the kitten after having him for the last 2 days (over the weekend). We plan to take him to the vet asap and have already used anti-flea treatment. He doesn't seem to have any fleas though which is good (I should know since I react to flea bites very clearly and don't have any yet.) We also started him on anti worm treatment just in case. But my guess is that he just hasn't had a consistent and proper diet since leaving his mother.

From what we can tell using the internet, he's approximately 5 weeks old and we weighed him at 400g. Physically, from our viewpoint he seems healthy. He's got no obvious or immediate injuries, seems very clean, and is full of energy and personality. As far as unprofessional opinion goes, he seems to be doing great. But of course we're still going to take him to a vet ASAP for obvious reasons.

We have absolutely no knowledge of what happened before the initial person found him on the street. We have no idea when he was separated from his mother, how he ate, survived etc. There's just no way to know. The person that found them gave them a bath and gave them food and water but they ended up giving them full grown cat mix (some of which came with him in the cardboard box when he was dropped off) and we could tell he had trouble eating it. We broke them down to help until we were able to get him kitten mix.

The adoption was very spontaneous so we weren't well prepared and spent most of this weekend obtaining all the necessary things. We've both owned cats before as kids with our families but now in our mid-20s, this is the first time either of us have gotten our own pet. We're big animal lovers and have been planning to adopt pets eventually, so this won't be a problem at all, but we aren't experts either and this is a pretty new experience for us both, so any help/suggestions are appreciated!

Lastly, one issue I think we have now is that he received whiskas early on with us. It was the only available source of food between the original full grown food and when we bought kitten mix (about 15 hours). We're worried that he may be pretty addicted to it already and this may be causing him to purposely avoid the kitten mix in order to receive the whiskas once he cries enough. We can already tell that he's very smart and resourceful for his age so this trick seems pretty likely. But we're giving in for now until we can get some professional help so that he doesn't starve of course!

Another issue was pooping, he hadn't gone for over a full day when we first got him. He finally did, and then did again this morning (about 30 hours later). But at first we were really worried he wasn't going due to lack of food. When he does go, he meows and cries right before. My guess is he's just not used to the amount coming out due to growing bigger and being underfed or fed inconsistently/improperly before. He drinks water and pees on his own no problem.

This is all the info I can think of at the moment so Ill check back here later. Again, thanks for any help!

Welcome to the forum! Thank your for rescuing and adopting a kitty who so badly needed a home. Just a couple details are missing: your kitten's name and colors.

I live in America, where people use ounces and pounds for weight measurements. Kittens normally gain a pound each month, so at five weeks he should weigh one pound and change.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Is the "kitten mix" KMR? How much of it are you feeding your kitty each day?

at five weeks old she is to young to be away from her mother, but she is so you have to make the best of it. Is there a pet food store near you? You can get some milk replacement for kittens and its a powder you mix with water, try to get some and give her that for about three more weeks. In the meantime get some canned kitten food. It will be easier for her to digest and to eat.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

When you buy more wet food, by all means change brands. Whiskas is one of the worst.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.