Injured toe nail

Injured toe nail

My poor 1 year old dalmatian hurt her toe while running at the park a couple of weeks ago and it is till bothering her. Is this worthy of a vet trip or should we it it out a little longer?

IMG_1098.JPGIMG_1102.JPGIMG_1099.JPG

Since it looks like the injury goes into the quick (blood vessel), and it's not safe and might be painful for you to just try to use clippers at home, I would definitely have the vet take care of it if it were my dog. It may be causing pain and may get infected if not treated now. Good luck!

Your dog nails are too long and needs to be cut . I was told when I can hear my dog nails click on the floor they're too long . I kept telling the groomer and vet I am hard of hearing and won't hear that . I told the groomer to cut my dog nails and they didn't ! My poor dog got a nail stuck on something and had to have the whole nail removed . You need to bring your to the vet b/c the nail bed could get infected from getting dirty ,it looks infected already it turning red . This has to be painful to your poor dog !

Brought her in, they pulled the broken nail off and the vet said she is fine and the new nail will just come in. Antiseptic cleaner twice a day and a cone on her head - both for a week. Probably saved her a lot of pain waiting for that old nail to come off....

I'm glad you had it taken care of c-coop, did they put her under general anesthesia to do it? Is she having pain now, did they give any pain pills? I hope she recovers quickly, that photo you posted did look very painful.

They just sprayed some freezing on her paw, no pills. She has a little bandage now and is limping - she is definitely not impressed, but she is recuperating.

http://susangarrettdogagility.com/wp...s-1024x756.jpgDid you have your nails cut too ? They're long and this will most likely happen again , if you can hear your dog nails clicking on the floor they're too long according to a vet and a groomer I used .

Damn I posted the link wrong, anyway this show what dogs nails should look like ,the nails don't touch the ground.

I heard the same thing about how to know when to cut your dogs nails.....Nightowl is right.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Furballs&dogbones View Post
    I heard the same thing about how to know when to cut your dogs nails.....Nightowl is right.
    Only if I was able to hear my dog nails click on the floor ! When I was told this I looked at the person said " I am hard of hearing and can't hear my dog nails clicking on the floor " . I made the mistake of thrusting the groomer in doing this for my dog and my poor dog broke a nail so bad that the whole had to removed and it never grew back . It was very painful for my poor dog.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.