Volunteering at Shelter

Volunteering at Shelter

Anyone have experience volunteering with dogs? We're in a small town & our shelter is Not no kill. This is one of the reasons we've not volunteered before. I've donated food & supplies a few times, but I think we could do more to make a difference.

In the past we've been content caring for our own pets. However, we lost our 12 yo dog several months ago (to cancer). It happened so fast. And we lost his buddy 18 months before. So, we're unsure if/when we'll be ready to adopt again. This is the first time in over 20 years we are without a dog. We love them so much & its extremely difficult when they pass away. Looking for a way to help those without a home until we're ready.

I tend to get emotional when it comes to animals (love them so much). Unsure I could handle volunteering at a kill shelter.

Thought?

Volunteering at a shelter is a wonderful way to sort of make up for not having your own dog until you can adopt another one, but obviously is not the same. You will still miss having your own dog. I never had or cared for a dog, but spent eight years helping cats at one that also has many dogs. One small warning about doing this: When my first cat crossed the Rainbow Bridge, I was supposed to volunteer the next morning, but felt the need to rush out and adopt another kitten and had to stay home to resist that urge. You might want to wait a couple weeks before starting and work your way slowly.

BTW I had three cats at the time. Last year was the first time in almost 21 years I did not have a cat.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

you could volunteer to foster a dog from a rescue. That way you'll have the dog with you so your house won't feel so empty. You may even become a "foster failure" and wind up adopting the dog you are fostering.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

It would be a lot harder for me to volunteer at a kill shelter, and then have them take those dogs when their days are up and euthanize them. It would be a much nicer hobby at a NO kill shelter. I wish there wasn't any more kill shelters, that would be the best thing. I'm very emotional too, doubt I could volunteer at a kill shelter.

My condolences for the loss of your dog, and welcome to the forum. I've lost a couple of dogs in recent years and have always gotten another to heal the heart. Welcome to the forum!

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    you could volunteer to foster a dog from a rescue. That way you'll have the dog with you so your house won't feel so empty. You may even become a "foster failure" and wind up adopting the dog you are fostering.
    LOL That happens to a lot of people. I would love to foster kittens, but don't know if I could return them.

I think you could return them knowing they are going to a loving home and you make room for another that waits for its forever home. Right now every rescue is overrun with pitbulls, to the point they are turning them away because they can't find homes for the ones they already have and with the incident in MA last week there will soon be many more looking for a home. Makes me sick to see the breed banned because of the actions of a few.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I think you could return them knowing they are going to a loving home and you make room for another that waits for its forever home. Right now every rescue is overrun with pitbulls, to the point they are turning them away because they can't find homes for the ones they already have and with the incident in MA last week there will soon be many more looking for a home. Makes me sick to see the breed banned because of the actions of a few.
    The shelter I volunteered at, Citizens for Humane Action, had a situation involving pit bull admission during my time there. I don't know exactly what happened.

I read The Lost Dogs, a book about former NFL QB Michael Vick's dog fighting crap and some of the canine victims who were rescued. Some of the dogs were taken to a pit bull rescue called BAD RAP (for Bay Area Dog Rescue And Placement). The catchy name says it all: Hate the owner, not the breed.

Thanks for all the replies.

We are leaning toward not volunteering at the shelter after looking at the paperwork (release form, mention of seeing upsetting situations, diseases we may be exposed to). Disappointed in a way, but not sure I could handle everything. Our hearts are still pretty tender after 4 months.

I thought it would help my husband to go & walk the dogs there. He misses that so much. Then, maybe he'd find the one meant of our home. It would be so difficult to try to pick one based on simply seeing it there & deciding after the brief interaction. They have little to no information on most. I'd really like to find one that will blend well into our family. Many are pits or pit mixes & I have nothing against that breed. However, they are bigger & stronger than what I had in mind (or could handle).

I thought volunteering I'd be able to help more find forever homes since we could only adopt one or two. Our local shelter seems to list only a few available animals online. I think this keeps people from visiting the shelter. However, not sure I could really help as I know little about posting pics on sites & I don't facebook.

I do appreciate everyone's thoughts on this. Maybe we just need more time to get use to life without our dogs. Its only been a little for 4 months since our most recent loss.

If you don't want a pit there are breed specific rescues, If you know what breed you are looking for there are rescues for all kinds so I'm sure you can find the perfect dog for you and your family. Take your time, when the time is right the perfect dog will come alone and you'll know its the one.

If the dogs have access to a play room and fenced yard, it would be easier to figure out which dog is right for your home. That is a benefit of fostering instead of just cleaning cages and kennels.

I'm sorry for your losses. It's wise that you don't rush in and get another dog. I don't think I could handle volunteering at a shelter either but I do drop off food (not Purina) and other wish list items for the animals. One year I had a bake sale and all the proceeds went to the shelter. Or if they have a fundraiser maybe you can stuff envelopes. There are many ways you can give your support and I'm sure they would appreciate any help.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.