Cats Go to War With Rats in Chicago and Everybody Wins (Except Rats)!

Cats Go to War With Rats in Chicago and Everybody Wins (Except Rats)!

The simplest solution is often the best. That was certainly the case when the Tree House Humane Society of Chicago realized that a large rat population could be the perfect job opportunity for its many feral cats. The shelter started the Cats at Work project, and now the city has just the pest control it needs. According to CNN, pest control company Orkin once called Chicago the “rattiest” city in the United States, and there may have been truth in jest.

In 2016, rat complaints in Chicago shot up 67 percent. In the Cats at Work program, the Tree House Humane Society relocates sterilized and vaccinated feral cats to areas with rodent problems. The cats stay in their new areas because the organization provides plenty of amenities at these locations, including toys, litter boxes and even large dog crates that they call “kitty apartments.” It usually takes about four weeks, but the cats eventually see the area as home.

Every colony has caretakers who agree to feed the cats and get them medical care if necessary. It typically becomes far more than just a working relationship, though, as these caretakers develop quite the bond with their new cat companions. These feral cats aren’t the type of cats people can just adopt. They can’t be domesticated, so if it wasn’t for programs like this, they’d end up euthanized.
    As far as how the cats do at their job, killing rats has been a specialty of theirs for thousands of years. They do their job very well, and after the cats have spent enough time in an area, most rats decide they’re better off avoiding it entirely. It’s great to see feral cats getting a second chance at life and helping humans out in the process.

http://blog.theanimalrescuesite.com/...ts-in-chicago/
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

They do their job very well, and after the cats have spent enough time in an area, most rats decide they’re better off avoiding it entirely.
    When that happens, the solution is only temporary if they don't confine the rats.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

for every one they kill its that many less that will be born. Cats are great vermin exterminators
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Rats have 12 nipples so they can feed 8 to 10 rats at a time ! GROSS ! So if a cat kill one rat that could 100 less rats ! Damn I going to have nightmares tonight ! I hate rats !

Way to go kitties! I love it.
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

my bengal has made it his mission in life to rid the world of rodents. Cats are the only animal other than man that kills for sport. They are built for the kill and anything that moves they are on it.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    my bengal has made it his mission in life to rid the world of rodents. Cats are the only animal other than man that kills for sport. They are built for the kill and anything that moves they are on it.
    Cats will try to kill prey that runs too fast or flies. Patricia could not catch a lizard.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.