spay complications long term prognosis question

spay complications long term prognosis question

Hi, I adopted a 10 week old kitten last week. Before I even got her from the shelter, she went to get spayed and when she got out the vet said she had uveitis and was blind. He said it could be a reaction to the anesthesia or it could be because of an underlying cause, like FIP. I can see from this site that it is not completely unusual for this to happen. She seemed fine the next day and I believe she sees, though I understand it can be difficult to tell (but she runs full tilt around avoiding other kittens and furniture with no problem even when running, and doesn't seem disoriented and is not walking strangely). She is eating fine, has plenty of energy and uses the litterbox like normal. My question is this: if she recovered this fast, what are her long term chances? I have six year old and I don't want to bring her home (it's a surprise so she doesn't know any of this) if it's likely she'll die or be very sick within a year. So, I know it happens from the posts and cats sometimes recover their sight, but I don't hear much about what happens NEXT. Has anyone out there gone through this and has the cat 6 years later and it is doing just fine or knows of one? Much obliged.

If she's not bumping into things, eats and finds the litter box its a pretty safe bet she can see. Cats don't usually have a problem with being spayed but I wait until 5 months old before doing it. But to be on the safe side ask to take the kitten to your own vet for a checkup, if there is anything wrong you'll know then and can make the decision to keep her or not.

I read this article, it says nothing about this being caused by spaying

http://animaleyecare.net/diseases/uveitis/
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    If she's not bumping into things, eats and finds the litter box its a pretty safe bet she can see. Cats don't usually have a problem with being spayed but I wait until 5 months old before doing it. But to be on the safe side ask to take the kitten to your own vet for a checkup, if there is anything wrong you'll know then and can make the decision to keep her or not.

I read this article, it says nothing about this being caused by spaying

http://animaleyecare.net/diseases/uveitis/
    I've read similar things. I can't find one article suggesting uveitis could be from anesthesia, but it wasn't there before and it's clearing up already so I'm not sure what to think about that. I find that uveitis is a symptom of FIP but she doesn't have any of the other symptoms and she definitely wasn't blind before the surgery and she doesn't seem to be anymore. I have a week to figure it out. If anyone out there wants to suggest a panel of tests that would be helpful too.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.