Something's Wrong with my Dog

Exclamation Something's Wrong with my Dog

Hey guys-

My dog is at the ER right now. I'm really scared.

The vets told my mother who drove him there earlier that they had no idea what was wrong with him and no idea if he was going to live.

He's only 8.

He suddenly started twitching earlier. His body and his eyes. He does shiver from time to time, but he's never done this. He also was walking strangely and his legs were shaking.

The doctors said he had high blood pressure. They're keeping him overnight. When my mom left the ER, she said he was lethargic.

The doctors think he could have been poisoned but they don't know for sure.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or wether or not you think my dog will make it....

poison is a possibility but it could also be something with the nerves. Did they rule out stroke? The high blood pressure would make me suspect a stroke, if it is a stroke they can give him something to bring the blood pressure down and do physical therapy to strengthen his muscles. If its poison thats another issue. Did they do a spinal tap to check the fluids? At this point its a wait and see thing, they must have done tests on him and some take time to get results. Hope for the best and see what happens
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    poison is a possibility but it could also be something with the nerves. Did they rule out stroke? The high blood pressure would make me suspect a stroke, if it is a stroke they can give him something to bring the blood pressure down and do physical therapy to strengthen his muscles. If its poison thats another issue. Did they do a spinal tap to check the fluids? At this point its a wait and see thing, they must have done tests on him and some take time to get results. Hope for the best and see what happens

They still believe it was some sort of toxin but he's actually better now. My mother is with him right now and will be bringing him home soon. I do believe they ruled out a stoke at the beginning. Scary night it was.

I'm not sure what it is, but I hope he pulls through and they can neutralize the toxins that he might have ingested. Good luck, please let us know what happens and welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog and I hope he recovers fully. Always better to be home...you can shower him with love and keep on eye on him.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

As of this writing, Hendrix has fully recovered and is his normal self again.

Although, the vets never were able to pinpoint exactly what his toxin was. They are 90% sure he was poisoned, but because they could not figure out with what, they are now not ruling out a seizure either, as his symptoms were very closely associated with seizures as well.

At least my dog is home and comfortable.

Thank you for the update and it's good news for Hendrix.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Quote Originally Posted by cullenj View Post
    As of this writing, Hendrix has fully recovered and is his normal self again.

Although, the vets never were able to pinpoint exactly what his toxin was. They are 90% sure he was poisoned, but because they could not figure out with what, they are now not ruling out a seizure either, as his symptoms were very closely associated with seizures as well.

At least my dog is home and comfortable.
    I was just thinking about you, thanks for the good news update on Hendrix, very happy to hear that!

Is dog left outside by himself , if yes he could of eaten some poisonous mushrooms in the yard . I am glad to hear he feeling better , that had to been very scary for everyone . I use another pet forum and a dog got very sick from eating some poisonous mushrooms in the yard .

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.