Fipronil in Frontline appears to be polluting environment

Fipronil in Frontline appears to be polluting environment

An insecticide found in commonly used over-the-counter flea treatments like Frontline Plus and Pet Armor appears to be washing down pet owners’ drains and flowing through sewage treatment plants into the San Francisco Bay, new research shows. While the chemical, called Fipronil, is effective in wiping out annoying fleas, it also is entering the bay in levels that can kill aquatic insects that are a key part of the food chain, providing nourishment to fish and birds.

Full article

This is bad news, but I will continue to use the product as it has served the pack here well for many years.

That's too bad, but if your dogs need it, then you have to use it. Just add that to the long listing of other chemicals that are polluting our waters, no simple answer.

If there was a safer product that was just as effective I would switch, just on GP. Here is the high desert waste water does into septic systems, so even though the possibility of groundwater contamination exists, I would suspect the amount would have diminished greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    That's too bad, but if your dogs need it, then you have to use it. Just add that to the long listing of other chemicals that are polluting our waters, no simple answer.
    Yes, it is the same with any medication that gets into the pipeline. The risk is insignificant compared to your dog's chances of carrying fleas into the house.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.