Inhumane treatment of pit bulls is to blame for aggressive behavior

Inhumane treatment of pit bulls is to blame for aggressive behavior

On Saturday, Oct. 21, a seven-year-old boy was killed by two of their neighbor’s pit bulls in Lowell, Massachusetts. One of the pit bulls was euthanized, and the other is in the care of animal control. This boy is one of many pit-bull-caused fatalities. Stemming from this issue comes the controversial topic of whether these animals should be household pets. Before developing a solid stance on the issue, one must acknowledge and understand the various aspects of this breed.
    The pit bull breed isn’t an original breed; it originated from the Old English Bulldog and was mixed with other terrier breeds. The new hybrid became known as the American pit bull. This breed was eventually created to perform in dogfights as early the 1800s. Today, pit bulls are one of the most abused and mistreated breeds due to their continual use in dogfighting rings as well as the harsh stigmas placed on these animals. Some of the common stigmas placed on this breed are that they possess locking jaws, they can turn on their owners without warning, they have powerful bites, and, because of their aggressive nature, they are not safe to have around children.
    I believe that any breed of dog that is mistreated or abused can possess some, if not all, of these properties. I am a firm believer that it is the complete responsibility of the owners to raise the dog in a proper and loving environment that it deserves. Like humans, dogs have very unique and different personalities. If a pit bull has more aggressive tendencies, it’s important for the owners to pay attention and correct this behavior as a puppy. As far as locking jaws go, this attribute is not only limited to pit bulls but to any aggressive dog. Chihuahuas and Dachshunds are the most aggressive breeds in both dog-to-dog interactions and dog-to-person interactions. However, pit bulls get stuck with the blame because they are able to do more damage due to their size.
    By nature, pit bulls are actually very social, friendly, and loving dogs. However, with a history of abuse and attacks, they have been thought of as very aggressive and unwanted dogs. To answer the question on whether or not they should be household pets, I believe that they have as much right as any other breed. However, if you were to ask me this question in high school, I would give you a completely different response. My dog, who is a Border Collie-Australian Cattle Dog mix, is a very friendly and playful dog. When I was taking her for a walk one day, a pit bull came out of the blue and started attacking her. Luckily, she didn’t fight back and didn’t suffer any major injuries. Because of this incident, I hated the entire breed. It wasn’t until years later, when I met a pit bull that was one of the sweetest dogs I knew, did I realize that not every pit bull is an evil animal waiting to attack someone.

Putting problems and stigmas aside, there are actually benefits that can come out of owning a pit bull. Some of these perks are the strong bond that you can form with the dog and the immense loyalty they have for their owners. These dogs are instinctively protective and are great to have around children. Some more pros are that they don’t have a lot of health problems compared to other dogs—they are low maintenance and easily trainable.
    With owning any dogs, it is important for the owners to be involved with their pets and not only train but develop a relationship with them as well. I feel like any dog has the potential to attack and create a lot of damage, but it is the responsibility of the owner to nurture the dog and prevent these kinds of behaviors from being acted upon. Only then can they truly be a man’s best friend.

http://www.stmaryscollegian.com/inhu...sive-behavior/
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

They absolutely are man's friend. The problem is not the dog but the owners and why they own. Rotties doberma and alsation ( German Sheppard) are just a few of the breeds to hit the bad spotlight. It just happens to be pit atm
    they love you despite what you do

Quote Originally Posted by itchypooch View Post
    They absolutely are man's friend. The problem is not the dog but the owners and why they own. Rotties, dobermans, and alsation (German shepard) are just a few of the breeds to hit the bad spotlight. It just happens to be pit ATM.
    It is so sad how many people out there choose not to understand how loving certain dog breeds can be if they are trained properly and placed in the right homes. Cats also can become mean if they live in abusive homes and learn to only like the person who feeds them. It is all about the home, not the animal.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

All dogs, no matter what breed, can be trained lovingly and nicely to be awesome.

The problem is people, not the breed. An acquaintance, who was out of hospital and needed help, had a Chihuaha. I took homemade food to her and that Chihuaha tore my right ankle up, even bit into tendons, and it cost me over $11,000 to get my ankle fixed. That dog bit me so hard over and overhe hit the bone too.

It was awful. When I took her to court to sue her for damages, she claimed I had come in illegally into her home. What was funny was she has ADT and camera surveillance, and shows her opening the door for me and letting me in with the food. The investigators confiscated her ADT camera footage and I was not at fault, and I had the cop as a witness, medical bills, and it was proven the dog had bitten others before and they came forward.

Her defense? "I live alone. I need protection."

The animal control people had been to her house twice for a dog attack, once on a report she was abusing it, and once on the dog biting a FedEx guy trying to deliver a package.

It is not the breed, it's the people.

Just my take on it, and I hate it when kids and people are killed by dogs ... that is horrible.

I have an 85-pound Boxer/German shepherd mix and all she knows is love and belly scratches. You come into my house, she flops down on her back and needs belly scratches.

I've also been told I have a dangerous dog breed. My heart breaks when I see kids and people hurt and worse. I am sorry.
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

my shepherd is aggressive and I know she will bite, when I have company I put her in her kennel, on the other hand my nephew has a white pit bull, he is the sweetest dog ever. He was five months old when they got him and this was his third home. He is such a sweetheart that when they got married a month ago he was their ring bearer. He was so cute with his bow tie on and after the ceremony he walked into the reception hall and greeted everyone as if the party was for him.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I get the feeling some people are biased against pitbulls solely based on their "intimidating" looks. They're pretty lovable once you treat them good as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pencakes13 View Post
    I get the feeling some people are biased against pitbulls solely based on their "intimidating" looks. They're pretty lovable once you treat them good as well.
    It has nothing to do with their looks. It is because of people like former dog fighter Michel Vick.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.