Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Best Tasting Grain-Free Dry Food

I would prefer my two eat raw like Phoenix does, but neither of them will touch table food. I've offered them pieces of steak, chicken, turkey ect and they look at it like its poison and won't touch it. So they have to eat and I have no choice but to feed them commercial food as much as I don't like doing it.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Watch out for those taco sandwiches - and please make sure none of them have onions!
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

My husband had just left it unattended for a few minutes so it's not like he gave it to him. He was actually pretty ticked off. I don't think he let him eat very much of it and just threw the rest out. But that cat has gotten into everything. In his early years of hyperthyroidism he would constantly tip over the trash can and rummage through until we finally locked it in the pantry. This disease changes a cats personality so much, all they care about is getting food. He is constantly climbing on the table and trying to steal our food even while we are eating. It's really frustrating to see him losing weight so fast, but being so hungry. And also turning his nose up at his cat food but trying desperately to get our food. Not the meat we let him have, but my cereal milk and at the moment chocolate cake. 😕

Quote Originally Posted by Raincat78 View Post
    My husband had just left it unattended for a few minutes so it's not like he gave it to him. He was actually pretty ticked off. I don't think he let him eat very much of it and just threw the rest out. But that cat has gotten into everything. In his early years of hyperthyroidism he would constantly tip over the trash can and rummage through until we finally locked it in the pantry. This disease changes a cats personality so much, all they care about is getting food. He is constantly climbing on the table and trying to steal our food even while we are eating. It's really frustrating to see him losing weight so fast, but being so hungry. And also turning his nose up at his cat food but trying desperately to get our food. Not the meat we let him have, but my cereal milk and at the moment chocolate cake.
    LOL Silly kitty. A lot of cats want human food and get spoiled with it. I can't believe anyone who says cats don't have a sweet tooth because some like the smell of chocolate. Whatever you do, never, ever, ever let Sprinkles eat chocolate!

That is what HT does to a cat. The thyroids (cats have two, unlike humans) control metabolism and energy levels. Emily was diagnosed with HT at age 10 because the vet heard a heart murmur during an annual wellness exam. She was my pickiest eater ever, so I did not have a problem with her getting into human food. For her it was always kibbles or nothing, although she did eat treats before I adopted my second cat (who promptly ate any treat I gave Emily). Sprinkles is a more typical case with a huge appetite, but he also is not an extremely picky eater.

Sprinkles is usually not a picky eater but would not touch cat food this afternoon and evening I tried all the kinds I have at home right now. But he was acting so hungry following me and climbing up on the table and getting so excited but then refused to eat it, just sniffed it and left to continue to badger me. He won't eat dry food at all. He did this a few months ago and we realized he had a respiratory infection and the vet gave him meds. I'll have to keep an eye on him.

I let Mini Meow eat it eventually. He always cleans up after the others. We have to feed him in a separate room and let all the other cats eat in peace before we let him out to finish off everyone else's food.

Tomorrow I will go to the pet store and get some stuff to try.

Hi! If you would like to still have your pet try kibble. We have been using this great product called Prinkles. I get it from dogfoodadvisor.com. They made an all natural treat like Chicken Liver and ground it up to mix with your pet's kibble. It is freeze dried so it keeps for a long time, their packaging is a lot too so it lasts me at least a month or so.

Today I went to this small pet shop near my house that I keep forgetting about. I always assumed it was more expensive but it's not. They have much different brands than the big pet store. And she gave me dry samples! One of them is Fromm, one is Taste of the Wild, and she gave me 2 different flavors of another one I can't remember. So I'll see what the cats think. I put them in bowls with the labels on the bottom and lined them up. I'll leave them there this week and see what happens.

I also bought a few wet foods to try - My Little Lion and Dave's Cat Food.

Sprinkles is usually not a picky eater but would not touch cat food this afternoon and evening I tried all the kinds I have at home right now. But he was acting so hungry following me and climbing up on the table and getting so excited but then refused to eat it, just sniffed it and left to continue to badger me. He won't eat dry food at all. He did this a few months ago and we realized he had a respiratory infection and the vet gave him meds. I'll have to keep an eye on him.

I let Mini Meow eat it eventually. He always cleans up after the others. We have to feed him in a separate room and let all the other cats eat in peace before we let him out to finish off everyone else's food.

Tomorrow I will go to the pet store and get some stuff to try.
    So Sprinkles just wants to sniff your supper, not try to steal some off the plate? That is a good thing because you don't want to accidentally make him stop wanting wet cat food.

There is nothing wrong with his refusal to eat kibbles. Dry food is only good for cats who will eat nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by TasdidAlvi View Post
    Hi! If you would like to still have your pet try kibble. We have been using this great product called Prinkles. I get it from dogfoodadvisor.com. They made an all natural treat like Chicken Liver and ground it up to mix with your pet's kibble. It is freeze dried so it keeps for a long time, their packaging is a lot too so it lasts me at least a month or so.
    I never heard of those, but Pure Bites, Stella & Chewy's, and Nature's Variety freeze-dried raw treats are available at regular pet stores and online in a variety of flavors. They can be either given as a treat or mashed in water for supplemental feeding.

Sprinkles doesn't know what he wants. He wants everything and then nothing. He always acts like he is starving but is sometimes picky and sometimes not. He was the only one who liked the new canned food so far. But yesterday wouldn't eat anything I was offering him. I don't really let him have any table food because I don't want him to throw it up. And I know it's often got too many spices or salt for him. I don't know what of it he would actually eat. Except milk. He loves that but I know it's not good for him.

He often acts terribly thirsty but only wants to drink dirty water from the sink regardless of how much fresh water we offer him. And sometimes he can eat and drink and be fine and sometimes he throws up everything covering the hallway floor.

I guess it's just the nature of this disease, his body and mind not working right.

As far as the dry food, they are all being ignored except the N&D brand lamb and blueberry which is just about gone. And even sprinkles has been eating it.

I also emailed Wild Calling to see if they would be willing to send any samples because I keep reading online great things about them. It's hard to find in stores though but there is a store listed on their website near my work so I might try to go tomorrow and get some things to try. I don't want to buy a $25 bag before letting them try a sample if they will send me some.

The nature of HT (only I call it that) is starving all the time. That does not necessarily mean the cat wants to eat anything you put in his bowl. If a cat acts hungry but won't eat what you feed him he does not like it.

You are right about milk. Kittens become lactose intolerant after completely switching to solid food.

I have never seen a 25# bag of cat food in a pet store or online. Some brands sell "sample size" bags (2-3 pounds). I don't know if WC does.

I wasn't talking about a 25 pound bag, but a 3-5 pound bag that costs 25 dollars. For the Wild Calling rabbit dry food I want to try it's $24.99 for a 4.75 lb bag which is the smallest bag I've found. I really would rather have just a cup of it to see if they will like it.

I wasn't talking about a 25 pound bag, but a 3-5 pound bag that costs 25 dollars. For the Wild Calling rabbit dry food I want to try it's $24.99 for a 4.75 lb bag which is the smallest bag I've found. I really would rather have just a cup of it to see if they will like it.
    You need a lot more than one cup to figure out if they like it. That is only four servings.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.