Federal Court Ruling On Police Shooting Dogs

Federal Court Ruling On Police Shooting Dogs

Dear Dog Owners,

With all the crap circling around the television and social media, you’d think that bad news has become the new norm. Sadly, a federal court in Michigan ruled in favor of police shooting a dog that moves or barks when an officer enters a home. The decision is the final step in a case brought to court by Mark and Cheryl Brown of Battle Creek, whose pit bull was killed while officers were executing a search warrant on their home in 2013. The couple claimed that officers “unlawfully seized their property in violation of the Fourth Amendment when officers shot and killed two dogs while executing a search warrant.

How Did All This Start?

On April 16, 2013, the BCPD conducted a trash pull at the residence of Danielle Nesbitt. The trash pull recovered baggies with residue of marijuana and cocaine, and a small amount of loose marijuana. On April 17, 2013, the BCPD obtained a warrant to search the residence and executed that same day. Their main target was a gang member named Vincent Jones that was just released from prison month prior. He was apprehended by the authority’s shorty before the raid took place with heroin on his person.
    The Word Gets Out…..

READ FULL ARTICLE

of course the cops were going to say the shooting of the dogs was justified. What else would you expect, they have to cover themselves. They could have locked the dogs in the basement and continued searching the house. There was no need to kill the dogs. I would not be happy if some trigger happy cop shot my dog and believe me if I'm not happy they wouldn't be either!
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I don't know why this is in the Pet Classified section because the OP is obviously not trying to sell anything.

The pit bull attack thread could have gone this direction. Why do police think killing any dog, regardless of ownership or breed, should be shot?
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Not trying to start a fight or anything but I don't think police like shooting dogs. They are doing that to protect themselves. Maybe a couple are trigger happy but most are NOT.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Really? is there any need of shooting a dog 20 times? If the cop is not an animal lover he could care less if he shoots a family pet. His thinking would be "just give me a reason" and if I have no reason I'll make one up. Say they go to answer a complaint and they go to the wrong house, how do you justify them shooting that dog?

Ever hear of a tranquilizer gun? Why can't they tranquilize them instead of shooting a dog that is only protecting its territory, they don't know a cop from a bad guy.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I know police officers have a difficult job but there are just too many out there who shot first and end up killing a person or animal. The cop may feel threatened but there are other ways to handle the situation...like Linda suggested...use a tranquilizer gun instead. It's just senseless and sad!
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Big city police departments have animal control officers. Those cops wear protective armor called a "hazmat" (I have no idea what that is) when they are dispatched to hoarding situations. Don't you think animal control officers would know what they should do instead of shoot the dog and that there are ways to protect themselves? I can't imagine anyone would want that job just to shoot dogs.

Yeah, I guess thats true, a tranquilizer gun would be better in most situations. I guess I need to learn to think before I type.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Big city police departments have animal control officers. Those cops wear protective armor called a "hazmat" (I have no idea what that is) when they are dispatched to hoarding situations. Don't you think animal control officers would know what they should do instead of shoot the dog and that there are ways to protect themselves? I can't imagine anyone would want that job just to shoot dogs.
    Catmom...I'm not sure you're correct. I don't believe that police travel with animal control officers. So unless they're prepared to take down a drug house with vicious dogs in it they don't know what they're walking into. Unfortunately I feel that the animals are the ones who suffer if they humans are criminals.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

unfortunately dogs don't get to pick their owners. A lot of them don't hit the doggie lottery with who they get stuck with

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Catmom...I'm not sure you're correct. I don't believe that police travel with animal control officers. So unless they're prepared to take down a drug house with vicious dogs in it they don't know what they're walking into. Unfortunately I feel that the animals are the ones who suffer if they humans are criminals.
    If the 911 call is for a dog attack, there should be animal control officers. That would certainly save a lot of canine lives. Unfortunately nothing short of a legal mandate would make it happen in all cases.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.