Cat Pooping in Front of Litter Box

Cat Pooping in Front of Litter Box

In my house we have three cats. One male and two female. The two females are actually sisters and both a year and a few months old. Our male cat is 4-5 years old and neutered. Our female cats aren't fixed at all, so they get their heat cycle every few weeks.

One of the one-year-old cat poops in front of the litter box. We changed their litter and the first three days, there was no poop. The fourth day, we saw poop in front of the litter box. The poop is always in front of the box our oldest cat had before we got the other two cats.

We do have three litter boxes for our cats. Just yesterday we moved one of the litter boxes to a new room. This morning, there was still cat poop on the floor. The cats all pee in the boxes with no issue. And there is no issue of a cat peeing or pooping over the edge of the box. The cat poop on the floor is more than five inches away from the box.

Does anybody have an idea or solution on what to do?

(Also, I know this is one of our younger cats because of the size of the poop. Our older cat doesn't have small poops like that.)

if the cat has regularly used the litter box and this is something new have her checked by a vet for a medical problem, once that is ruled out try setting up two or three litter boxes in a row, different size boxes and different kinds of litter. She may not like the feel or smell of the litter you are using. Or the box may be to small for her. Try different size boxes and different kinds of litter. It may or may not work but you've got nothing to loose at this point.

Cats do not like change, has anything changed in your house? Maybe she wants a covered box vs an open box. Its something with the box itself or the litter. and how much litter is in the box. They like to dig around so have about 4 inches of litter in the box for her
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thanks for these solutions! I feel that having 4 inches of litter will be a great help. I observed the cats in the boxes. They dug around and almost instantly they were at the bottom. After filling the boxes, the suspected cat to be pooping on the floor was digging around and pooping in the box.

I hope things work for you, no one wants a dirty cat around and if its as simple as adding more litter all the better
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Do you know which female cat is pooping outside the box?

Are there any relationship issues involving the male and female cats?

This may be unrelated, but why aren't the girls spayed yet? They are obviously old enough.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Check the fur, sometimes a cat with long or thick fur around the anal area will have a piece stick on, and as they leave the litter box it drops off the fur. We use a tiny clipper and trim our cat's rear area just a little a couple of times a year so it doesn't happen, he has super thick fur.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Check the fur, sometimes a cat with long or thick fur around the anal area will have a piece stick on, and as they leave the litter box it drops off the fur. We use a tiny clipper and trim our cat's rear area just a little a couple of times a year so it doesn't happen, he has super thick fur.
    That reminds me of my male cat. He was a shorthair, but often had poop stuck to his butt. Usually I could just wipe it off with a wet paper towel, which he did not like, but once I gave him a bath because he had diarrhea. I thought about asking the vet to shave the area, but I always forgot on appointment day. Being overweight probably had something to do with it.

This is the clipper we use, I hold him while my husband trims the immediate area. Whenever we have to wipe him, which isn't often anymore, we use those baby wet wipes, he actually seems to like it.

I just used a wet paper towle, then a dry one to make him comfortable.

I have a cat who has been missing the box recently. She doesn't seem to get far enough into the box to have proper aim. I buy large puppy pee pads and use them under my litter boxes so is she misses I can spare myself having to clean the floor. Just throw away the pad and I'm done with it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.