old dog...getting to be that time again.

Unhappy old dog...getting to be that time again.

I'm a senior myself and have had dogs all my life..You'd think I'd be used to it by now. Never gets any easier. Sorry, just venting. I find it helps.....a little.

no, it never gets any easier, they are family and its like loosing a member of the family
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Hello and welcome. Very sorry to hear about your Bulldog. I'm a senior too and had to say goodbye to my last older dog just a couple of years ago, you don't get used to it, but that's okay. It shows you love him and how much he meant to you, and that's a good thing. If I may ask, how old was he and what was he suffering with towards the end?

Losing our furry family is such a heartbreak. I know whenever that time came for mine I would just cry but having my other cats around helps because you have to keep going for them. Coming on this forum to talk about your dog helps though. We support each other and you are not alone.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

thanks for reply. She's still alive. 9 1/2 years old and suffering from liver failure.
    Such is life...

thanks for kind words.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogmitch View Post
    thanks for reply. She's still alive. 9 1/2 years old and suffering from liver failure.
    Such is life...
    Good to hear she's still with you, even for a short time, perfect time to give her love, comfort and assurance....very sad to hear she has liver failure. Thinking of you both.

I never had dogs, but have been there and done that three times with cats. It is different every time, but always extremely painful. Shock and denial begin before the pet dies. Guilt is the hardest emotion for me to deal with. For other people it is anger or sadness. Everyone grieves differently and there is no right or wrong way to mourn your loss. The Over the Rainbow Bridge section is worth checking out.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

when she has more bad days than good then its time but as long as she is doing ok, just love and enjoy her for whatever time she has left
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    when she has more bad days than good then its time but as long as she is doing ok, just love and enjoy her for whatever time she has left
    http://www.petforums.com/showthread....to-Say-Goodbye

Liver failure is tough and I'm sorry to hear that but is she on any medications? Keeping her warm and comfortable plus showering her with tons of love can do wonders for you both. Just spend time together and she knows you're there for her and that's important. Please feel free to come here and express your feelings.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

She would not want you to feel sad during her final days.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.