dog bit vet

dog bit vet

i had a terible experience last tuesday. took my girl for her booster. vet looked in her ears and said no infection but there is ear wax so he said hed do a washout. my girl doesnt like her ears messed with. anyway . i held her down vet grabbed her ear while she was howling and did ear wash.... then she bit him . he then took her to the back of surgery and muzzled her to do other ear
    he has sent me home with wash but she is so traumatised , i cant get near her ears
    they love you despite what you do

Sorry to hear that, was the bite bad? You may have to buy a muzzle to use the next time she goes to the vet, and for now so you can do the ear wash. Good luck.

I'm sure this isn't the first time the vet was bitten and he was probably to rough with her ears and things happen. I remember Roscoe bit my hubby instead of the vet after getting a shot. They wrote "biter" in his file and then anytime he went to the vet the tech would put on this gloves that look like they're used in falconry. They weren't even the ones to get bitten for crying out loud but yet he was labelled a biter. Sorry that just brought back a bad memory because even when I took him to be put to sleep the same vet tech was going to put on the gloves. Bad enough I was so upset that he was dying but the stupid tech really made me angry too. Anyway if your dog still needs the ear wash could you get someone that your dog likes to help you do this but then you may still need a muzzle so no one gets biten? Also I've used treats and sweet talk to give my pets pills, etc. so hopefully that will help.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

Phoenix bit three different groomers when they did her nails, they didn't want her back, their own fault I warned them she'd needed to be muzzled. She likes the groomer she has now and just lately they've been doing her nails without a muzzle.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I am really surprises the vet didn't have a veterinarian assistant to help hold your dog still . My vet never have me help him when giving my dog a shot etc. It's really too bad you didn't warn the vet about your dog hating her ears touch ,the vet may had putted a muzzle on her before touching her ears. I kind of blame the vet for trying do a washout on his own . What kind of dog do you have, does she need to go a groomer very often ?

Working with the vets over the years and knowing my dogs, there have been many, many times when a vet proposed something that I knew was completely alien to my dog and I had to say uncomfortably, politely, but firmly that we are not going to do that.

"I am going to intentionally scrape your dog's skin until it bleeds so we can test for mange." - Um, no you're not.

"You don't need to hold her while I give the shot." - Um, yes I do.

"It will help if we tie her down to the table with twine." - Um, no it will not.

"You can wait in the next room while we do this [weird thing]." - Actually, I'll be staying right here with my dog.

My dog has to be restrained whenever she goes to the vet and the one time she went to the groomer, the groomer kicked her out.

I hold my dog and cat for any shots, blood draws, temperature taking, etc. I do it mostly for the comfort of my pets, never have had one who growled or bit a vet. I do all my own grooming.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.