BAD PARENTS/CONFUSED HOUND PUPPY...BIG LIST of TRAINING QUESTIONS... :D (help!!)

BAD PARENTS/CONFUSED HOUND PUPPY...BIG LIST of TRAINING QUESTIONS... :D (help!!)

New 5/6 month old Coonhound puppy...

Good things: totally housetrained
    good in crate
    not aggressive to cat or chihuahua

But:

TRAINING REWARDS: Question - Have been to one training session at a pet store so far and have 5 to go. With treat rewards, the trainer constantly gives them as soon as puppy puts her feet back on the floor after jumping up, as if the puppy will associate the feet on the floor instead of up on us as the better option. How does she not just think she is getting the treat for the jumping up?

LEASH: Leash walking training... how do we do that in our big leafy still not fenced yard and still let her explore on a leash yet train to walk with a leash at the same time? We can drive to a walking park, but would like to let her explore our yard before we get the fence and need to keep her on the leash. It's no fun for her to be on a 4 foot lead while with leaves blowing and an exciting woods that surrounds the yard in sight.

TOY RETRIEVING and OTHER DOG: Loves to retrieve but leaves her own toy in the middle of retrieving and steals toys from other dog who wants to retrieve too.

COUCH: We made the mistake of letting her up on the couch the first week. Now she wants to be up there whenever she decides. How do we go back to only invite her when we want her to come up and stop her from pawing and begging every evening?

treat rewards are fine along with praise but some things she needs to do without a treat, just praise and a pat on the head. When she jumps up on you just raise your knee to her chest, this will put her off balance and she'll get down, say down as you do this then give her praise when she goes down.

Leash, teach her to walk on a leash buy when she gets to far ahead or pulls just stop and turn around, when she comes to the end of the leash this will jerk her back, you will have to repeat this until she learns, but in your yard you can get a long lead like 20 feet, teach her to "come command" when she comes then give her a treat even if you have to pull her in to you. She will associate the come command with a treat.

retrieving: she's just a puppy and like a child she will want what another has, this training will come with maturity.

couch: when she jumps up put her down saying "down" repeat as necessary.

You mainly need to teach her "come" drop it, leave it these commands may save her life someday.

Also instead of using a collar, use a harness, a collar could damage her throat and neck when you give her a correction

you are not a bad pet mom, you realize you need a little help with training and we will help you
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Orchid View Post
    TRAINING REWARDS: Question - Have been to one training session at a pet store so far and have 5 to go. With treat rewards, the trainer constantly gives them as soon as puppy puts her feet back on the floor after jumping up, as if the puppy will associate the feet on the floor instead of up on us as the better option. How does she not just think she is getting the treat for the jumping up?

LEASH: Leash walking training... how do we do that in our big leafy still not fenced yard and still let her explore on a leash yet train to walk with a leash at the same time? We can drive to a walking park, but would like to let her explore our yard before we get the fence and need to keep her on the leash. It's no fun for her to be on a 4 foot lead while with leaves blowing and an exciting woods that surrounds the yard in sight.

TOY RETRIEVING and OTHER DOG: Loves to retrieve but leaves her own toy in the middle of retrieving and steals toys from other dog who wants to retrieve too.

COUCH: We made the mistake of letting her up on the couch the first week. Now she wants to be up there whenever she decides. How do we go back to only invite her when we want her to come up and stop her from pawing and begging every evening?
    If the dog jumps up and the trainer is giving a command of 'off', then the dog immediately puts his feet on the floor.....then a treat is good. It's rewarding the obedience of the command. Another way to deal with jumping up, is to order them to sit before they even act out on it....then give praise or reward for sitting and not jumping up. You have to anticipate the jump before it happens.

I've always used a retractable leash with my puppies and dogs, you can use a harness instead of a collar if you're concerned about injuring the neck. That way they can walk close to you or far from you at their leisure, but you're still in complete control and can control when to stop the leash or 'reel' them in. I've been using a 26" Flexi-Lead for years now both with my Standard Schnauzers when they were still alive and now with my 35 pound Labradoodle.

When doing disciplined leash walk training around the neighborhood, I used a metal (smooth) choke collar and short 6' leash. My correction when he pulled ahead was a short one to the side to get him off balance. No pulling or tugging the dog, simply correcting the action. With the dog facing you, put the collar in the shape of a "P' for puppy, then put it over his head. I learned this many years ago in an obedience class and it has worked well. After the walk lesson, the choke collar comes off and stays home. I hold the leash loosely in the middle with my left hand to keep him near by side in a heel, the end of the leash is held in my right hand. When he pulls forward out of acceptable heel, then I make the correction by a short pull with my right hand.

For the couch, you can have some tiny treats in your pocket and have a one on one training with no interference from other family members. Pat the couch and tell the dog, 'up'. When the dog goes on the couch, say 'good boy' or something like that and give a treat and calm praise. Then if you want, you can put the palm of your hand near the dog's face/eyes, and command 'stay'.

Once he's reliably staying on the couch, say his name and command 'Off!', motioning with your finger for him to get off the couch. As soon as he jumps off on your command, treat and praise.

Repeat this exercise several times a day, taking break in between, any lesson is better if kept short and positive. Good luck.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.