Thanksgiving turkeys

Thumbs down Thanksgiving turkeys

During a football game broadcast on Sunday night, NBC showed a huge room filled with what looks like hundreds of white turkeys. Despite the room's size, it was so crowded the birds were literally covering the entire floor with practically no space to walk or even spread their wings. No camera angles showed availability of food and water for them, and with that many turkeys I would have a hard time seeing how they get access to it. I guess it is a meat packing factory or slaughterhouse in Dallas. Is this what normally happens to the millions of turkeys people eat on Thanksgiving? I am not a vegetarian, but would want to know if a so-called "cage-free" turkey actually has room to exercise or was put in an equally bad situation that simply didn't have cages. If you want to stick with the tradition of eating turkey on Thanksgiving, make sure it is not from this type of environment.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

This is one of the better turkey farmers, organic brand. Other places are not so nice, although I think there are a few that let them roam outdoors on grass, they don't make enough profit doing that unfortunately. Factory farmed turkeys are in much more crowded conditions and treated very poorly.

A farm where they're let outdoors for awhile, then brought back in to feed.

Good to know, but the second video seems to be for a Canadian company.

Yeah, not too many online videos to choose from in America only from what I saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Yeah, not too many online videos to choose from in America only from what I saw.
    Maybe Canadians are nicer to turkeys.

Or else good American turkey farmers don't bother advertising on YouTube.

One thing I know for sure is I will never buy a turkey that comes from northern Texas!

Fortunately on Turkey Day CBS showed a real turkey farm with a small number of big brown turkeys, less than five, outside - in the Dallas area. I could not hear the name of the farm, but it was identified so I am sure they are wild-caught.

wild turkeys would not be good to eat, they are tough because they run, they get big and tough, better to buy one than catch your own. And they taste different because domestic turkeys are fed medicated food, the wild ones eat whatever they can find
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    wild turkeys would not be good to eat, they are tough because they run, they get big and tough, better to buy one than catch your own. And they taste different because domestic turkeys are fed medicated food, the wild ones eat whatever they can find
    So you would not want to eat a turkey that was wild caught by a farmer and treated like the living creature it is?

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    Makes sense Linda. I can't say I've ever eaten a wild turkey, but would if I was a hunter and needed the food for a family meal. They don't have the breast meat that store bought turkeys have, thinner and like you said, drier and tougher to eat after cooking. I bought a Honeysuckle White to keep in the freezer for when we want to bake it, no antibiotics and a good tasting turkey. More about wild turkeys HERE.

According to Exotic Meats USA, "Wild turkey are smaller and have darker meat, richer, more intense flavor, and firmer texture than domestic turkey.

"The breast, being smaller, tends to cook faster than legs or thighs. Wild turkey must not be overcooked because it would become too dry.

"It is known for its slight gaminess, slightly firm texture and its dark meat. Wild turkeys have a lot less breast meat than regular turkeys because their breasts are designed to help them fly and they have no hormones or special feed. They are also much more muscular and leaner than their domestic cousins."

If wild turkeys are smaller overall, what do you call the brown birds that are significantly bigger than those pictured in the second post?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.