Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unthinkable hiding places

Question Unthinkable hiding places

It probably happens to all of us. Somehow cats are able outsmart humans when they look for hiding places. You search every inch of your home two or three times and still can't find your little cat. I know Daisy is never outside except for vet trips. The same was true for all three cats I had in the past. How is it possible to not find her until after she is out of her hiding place?

The last time that happened to me, Daisy was behind a desk drawer. She usually hides inside Mom's box spring when my five-year old niece and nephew are visiting. But this time Daisy found a better hiding spot. The desk has a space behind the drawers that she can jump into from the bottom. In the back is a board just wide enough for Daisy to sit on. Who would have thought about looking for a cat there?

This surprising discovery makes me want to block off the area so Daisy can only "hide" where I can get her out. Where do your cats find hiding places that only a feline could think about? What do you do about it?
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Molly likes to hide between the curtain and lining, I don't know if she is hiding or she just likes it there. I just leave her. We don't have many visitors so she doesn't hide but when we first got her she used to go under the sofa and I hated it I kept imagining the sofa collapsing on her and squashing her no matter how much my husband assured that it would be impossible. I blocked the bottom of the sofa and arm chairs with pipe insulation, I am thinking of doing it around the bed because she puts straws and looses toys there. If there is a place you don't like her hiding in you could try placing orange/citrus peel or zest there. But I think cats need hiding spots so make sure there is an alternative spot for her.

Emily, my first cat, went under the couch when she was a little kitten. Mom had to pull it out. One day she slept under there with her white side to the wall and I could not see her. It helps that your cat is mostly white.

Well I just flipped out looking for her today I didn't close all the buttons on the duvet cover and she was in there.

LOL You might want to buy a duvel cover that has no buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    Molly likes to hide between the curtain and lining, I don't know if she is hiding or she just likes it there. I just leave her.
    Funny that you mentioned that. In the mornings around 7am, one of us will let the dog out for a few minutes in the back yard, then let him back in again. Whoever lets the dog out also opens the front drapes in the living room, so the plants and pets can get light and see outside.

Loki does spend some time during the night and early morning on that window sill looking out at any people, cars, squirrels, rabbits, etc. that he might see in front of our house. So, my husband let the dog out and went to open the drapes, he said on one side there was a big lump and when he felt the curtain he realized that Loki was wrapped up inside there. He said he kind of shook him out until he was on the floor.

In all the years we've been doing this, that's the first time the cat got caught up between the drapes and the liner.

I can't picture it. Were his claws stuck in the curtains?

I don't know CatMom, I didn't see it. I think he was just on the window sill when my husband started drawing the drapes and the folds probably wrapped around him, my husband noticed it when he went to loop around the tieback.

Loki si a bad cat.

Nah, he was young when he went in there and I took the picture immediately and lifted him out and told him no, he couldn't go in there, hasn't been in there since. He listens pretty well really.

my little wild child is apt to be anyplace. She'll come out eventually, if I'm looking for her and can't find her I send Phoenix to "find kitty". Phoenix always finds her
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    my little wild child is apt to be anyplace. She'll come out eventually, if I'm looking for her and can't find her I send Phoenix to "find kitty". Phoenix always finds her
    Pheonix has a good nose. She probably sniffs Sandy out. Does she let you know where Sandy was hiding?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Funny that you mentioned that. In the mornings around 7am, one of us will let the dog out for a few minutes in the back yard, then let him back in again. Whoever lets the dog out also opens the front drapes in the living room, so the plants and pets can get light and see outside.

Loki does spend some time during the night and early morning on that window sill looking out at any people, cars, squirrels, rabbits, etc. that he might see in front of our house. So, my husband let the dog out and went to open the drapes, he said on one side there was a big lump and when he felt the curtain he realized that Loki was wrapped up inside there. He said he kind of shook him out until he was on the floor.

In all the years we've been doing this, that's the first time the cat got caught up between the drapes and the liner.
    Omg that is hilarious!

My cats somehow are able to get in a tiny tunnel that is underneath of the bottom of the kitchen cabinets. I would have to lay with my face on the floor to be able to even see the openings (there are a couple), because it is hidden by the front of the cabinets (I would have to put my face on the floor). I guess whoever designed the place, wasn't thinking about cats. If it was my own property, I would change the cabinets. I tried blocking the openings, but the cats find ways to get in there. The first time they were in there, I had no idea and thought someone went in the place and took the cats! At least I now know where they go when they disappear!

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Pheonix has a good nose. She probably sniffs Sandy out. Does she let you know where Sandy was hiding?
    Phoenix will just stand and look from me to where the cat is.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.