Leaving dogs outside during work hours.

Leaving dogs outside during work hours.

I recently adopted a new puppy, and am looking for some input for when I’m at work. We’ve been leaving him in a kennel while at work, but he seems to hate it. He’s broken out of one kennel and destroyed our room as a result.

This just recently became an issue because my fiancÚ got a new job, and our new schedules create some conflict with the puppy. He’s rarely in his kennel for more than 4 hours, however, there have been a few days where it has been needed.

He’s an indoor dog, and want him to stay an indoor dog, however, we are contemplating leaving him outside on days where he may be in his kennel too long. We would of course bring him back in when we get home.

We have a fenced in yard, plenty of space, several areas for shade, and plan to leave toys and food/water out on the patio.

Do you think this will help get some of his energy out during the day? Seems like a much better alternative to leaving him in his kennel.

He’s a 5 month old Australian Shepherd. He gets plenty of exercise and attention when we are not at work, and gets out to the dog park 3-5 times a week. He doesn’t have too many behavioral issues unless he’s kenneled up for too long.

Thanks,
    Chad

no, leaving him out by himself is a disaster waiting to happen. Dognappers steal unattended dogs, sell them to laboratories, bait for fighting dogs or just plain twisted people that would torture him.

Put him in a room gated off from the rest of the house, put newspapers or pee pads down for him, put him in a room like a big bathroom or kitchen where he can't destroy anything and even better if you could have someone come in mid day to let him out, play with him a bit. But until his is completely trustworthy with housebreaking do not give him free run of the house. You will never housebreak a puppy that has the free run of the house. A crate has its purpose in housebreaking, its not meant for dogs to spend hours in there when you are not at home. An hour or so is ok but not 4 plus hours.

Just as a tip, figure they can hold their pee for one hour for every hour old they are.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I agree with Linda, I don't like the idea of leaving my dog in the yard unattended for any amount of time if I'm not home to watch out for him. They can possibly dig out under the fence, climb over the fence or somehow work their way through the fence, loose board, etc.

Where I live there are coyotes behind our back fence, and although it is a 6' fence, or close to that height, a coyote can jump in and attack the dog and kill it. We've been here over 30 years and that has never happened, but that could be because we took precautions. Even when we had pairs of large Standard Schnauzers, they weren't left outdoors for hours at a time when we were gone, and never at night.

We haven't used kennels, but always left our dogs in the kitchen with papers like Linda mentioned. We used one of those accordian gates, had a spot that was a comfy bed for the dog, because honestly, they usually nap when they are alone except for short periods of time. Always left plenty of safe chew toys and an old sweatshirt or something for them to snuggle in with out scent on it.

Many years ago we used to set a tape recorder on voice activate to hear if the pup was barking or acting up when we were gone, and for the most part there was very little noise or silence.

Since he's such a young dog, ideally a neighbor or friend could come in once while you're gone, go out in the yard with the dog, pet him, reassure him, let him go potty, give a treat and then leave. When he's fully housetrained, he can have free run of the house while you're gone, with somewhere he can go potty if need be, papers or pad....we always used newspapers.

I'm not a big kennel fan (from a distance), but I don't ever think it's good to keep a dog kenneled up for any length of time. A dog with more freedom will feel more part of the home and family, in my opinion.

I was just wondering if you can recommend what else can I do and buy for my dog that he can used every time we have to leave him alone at home to keep him entertained and still feel comfortable even though we're away. I just think that I'll be more worried if I just going to leave him outside the house knowing that the percentage of lost dogs got higher every time and some got abducted, it's just unbearable.

get him an antler, they are very hard and he'll chew on it for hours without breaking it. Be sure you get one with points on it, a flat one could slide down his throat. Most dogs love antlers and just give it to him when you are away, that will give him something to look forward to when you have to leave him. Here is a link, you can check them out http://www.elkusa.com/antler-chew.ht...QAvD_BwE#chews
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

You can also get him one of those toys you stuff with treats, that keeps him busy for a while trying to get the food out.

Mechi2's idea of the toy stuffed with treats is a good idea. Those "Kongs" come in varying sizes depending on the breed, I never put treats in mine, but they are durable chew toys.

I am not sure where you live but I live in a small city and have coyotes and foxes in my condo yard a number of times hunting for small animals. A coyote came right up to my small dog while I had him on his leash and was standing right next to my dog ! It's not safe to leave and small pets out for even a second and if a coyote is hungry enough it can run up a 6 feet fence to get a pet in a yard . Hawks have gone after small pets too. Your puppy is a herding dog and a high energy dog and also very inelegant , he going to get really bored being stuck in a house for hours . Can you afford to bring him to a puppy playgroup a few times a week ,
    you'll have to make sure the place has good reviews . You should never leave a dog and specially a puppy a lone with any toy or bone , they choke on it .

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.