Pomeranian doesn't like my son anymore

Pomeranian doesn't like my son anymore

A few months ago my son brought home a Pomeranian, Bear. He loved my son. Would get excited when he came home from work. I work from home so Bear is always around me. He seems to have gotten attached to me. Will follow me almost everywhere in the house. When Bear does something wrong my son is the one who disciplines him. He doesn't hit him or anything like that. Will just let him know that he's mad and puts him in the cage. He now doesn't get excited when my son comes home from work and doesn't really go to him when he calls Bear. My son could be only a few feet away from him but he will not go to him no matter how playful or loving he sounds. My son seems to be very hurt by this. I thought maybe Bear was scared, mad or just doesn't trust my son or something but according to an article by Cesar dogs do not hold grudges. Any advice will be very much appreciated.

they don't hold a grudge but they do remember and the dog is associating being punished by your son so in his mind bad things happen when he's around your son so thats why he is avoiding him. He may or may not get over it, try having your son feed him and give him treats, if he associates good things with your son he may come around. It won't happen instantly, he now has to relearn to trust him.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank you for your response. I figured it was something like that. I just kept thinking of our other dog who gets disciplined and yet is still very loving to the one who did the disciplining. I think my mistake is that I need to remember that just like people, each dog is different. Also we've had our other dog for a few years now so I guess she knows that even when we discipline her we still love her and that's not all we're about.

if your son feeds her, gives her treats and plays with her in time she'll get over it. They usually gravitate to the one that feeds them. But the fact that you work from home and she is always with its understandable that she would bond with you.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Dogs don't hold grudges, but if your son became angry and put the dog in a cage like you said, that's a very bad thing. I assume when you say cage you mean kennel. I don't use kennels, but I know they should not be used as a punishment. Really, with dogs, a simple correction at the time of the offense is adequate. They need to be be shown what they should do, and given positive praise for it. Punishing a dog only makes it fear the person who is doing it.

I'm glad Bear has you around, he deserves to be comfortable around those he lives with. He is scared of you son....not mad, but has lost some trust understandably. Your son will have to calm down and gain the dog's trust again. Dogs sense insincerity, so when your son offers treats or "sounds" loving, that's not enough. He has to really mean it and not try too hard, that just puts pressure on the dog, he still has some fear.

Thank you both so much for your responses. You both have really helped me see things the way Bear must be seeing the situation. Now let me ask this. The thing that Bear keeps doing is eating off of my grandsons plate when it's on his little play table. Half the time we don't see him doing it. It's just obvious when my grandson walks away and the food that was there disappears. How should we react when we see him doing it and when we don't?

you have to catch him in the act, when you catch him just say a firm no and move him away. Teach him "drop it" and "leave it" when he learns the leave it command you can walk away but keep your eye on him, when he makes a move to take the food say "leave it" he'll catch on, when he does at first you can reward him with a small treat. The drop it and leave it commands are important as that might save his life one day.

I was such a coward when training my Lilly. I knew one could use a rolled-up newpaper to gently swat her butt, but all I did was train her to voice commands. "No no" was sometimes my raising my voice a bit and saying "NO NO!" and using the positive reward thing.

She took food once, and I did raise my voice, not harshly, not yelling, but very very firmly, "NO NO!" and shook my finger at her. She slunk away, and I let her go like that for five minutes. No cage, no nothing, just let her be. Then I called her and she came running and I said, "Are you nice girl? Are you good girl?" and she was very happy so I made her sit and gave her a treat.

She's 10 years old now and when we leave food out and just very calmly say, "No no Lilly, be a good girl," she hasn't touched it on a table or anything.

However, if it hits the floor and we give her people food on the floor, she knows it's hers and woe to any cat who gets curious!

But I have said this before, she was always so smart and eager to please, she was so easy to train. I never had to use a cage or anything, but I think in order for the dog to trust an owner, I would go with the more gentle approach and positive reinforcement.

It worked for us and she is a total joy. I hope this helps maybe. I'm completely stupid when it comes to dog training.

Hugs
    Saav
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.