Cat is Apparently Afraid of Fabric

Cat is Apparently Afraid of Fabric

Hello All. My kitty Purr apparently has a phobia about fabric of any sort - specifically blankets. She lives in a 2,400 SF enclosure with my other cats. She's always been an odd little thing but her oddities seem to be escalating. Specifically she refuses to go indoors or sleep in kitty shelters outdoors or even big blankets left in a chair or box outdoors. A couple of mornings ago we nearly lost her because she was apparently curled up on the ground all night and nearly froze (it was 32F)! Now she is in my Mother's house but refuses to sit anywhere but floors or wood furniture.
    I live in a rural area where vets treat cats but know little about behavior. Until I can get her to the city I thought I'd try here. Any inside would be MOST appreciated.

sounds like something scared her. I would just let her be, if she wants to sleep on the floor let her, I would get a kitty bed and put it someplace where she can see it, if she goes in it fine, if not that's up to her, Once they get scared of something its awfully hard to change their mind.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Thank you! That was our attitude for the last year.... her facility is 2,400 SF half indoors and half outdoors. We built several shelters in the outdoor half but she rejected those and nearly died on Monday from cold. I will let you know how she progresses and thanks again for your input!

can you somehow block off her access to going outdoors? For her own well being she needs to be kept inside, winter is about here and she'll freeze to death outside. Whether she likes it or not I would not let her go outside
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

She is in a house now and no longer has the option to go outdoors.

I never heard of that, but I guess wood furniture and floors are okay for now, glad you're keeping her inside. So she won't go on the couch or lie on top of a cat tree or anything like that? Unusual. Good luck with her, and I'm happy you didn't lose that little one to the cold. Welcome to the forum!

Thank you!

I think Linda has a good point, something material at some time in the past must have scared her or made her feel threatened, maybe a blanket fell over her and she had trouble escaping and panicked?

This is weird. I know cats like to sleep on hard surfaces that look uncomforable to us, but they usually also takes naps on fabric. Will she sit on a rubber doormat?
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Thank you! Trying a rubber doormat is another good idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Grace13Cats View Post
    Thank you! Trying a rubber doormat is another good idea!
    I got the idea from my neighbor's cat, who uses my rubber doormat has a scratching pad.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.