Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Run In At The Dog Park

Been staying home again Saav, I was feeling better last Sunday and took a short walk alone with my dog on the leash in a neighborhood park, not the off leash dog park. I walked slowly and carefully, and everything was fine, a little discomfort but no real pain to speak of. Well then I overdid it, Monday and Tuesday my husband went with me and I walked at a much faster pace, still limping, but obviously stressing the knee and surrounding area too much....my fault completely.

Also Tuesday I went to Costco and pushed around a heavy cart there, Perrier was on sale and I took advantage, plus the store was packed with people because of the upcoming holiday, so I had to maneuver my cart left and right and around others there, which was not good for my knee.

So now I'm staying home, no walks, rubbing it down with magnesium oil, that helps, taking an Aleve now and then, trying not to take too many of those. Too much too soon, guess when you're in your 60s, you can't do the quick 'get back on your feet again' method that I used my whole lifetime. Maybe by next week I'll be back to the way I felt last Sunday.

Oh I know the feeling Alpha and you are not alone! I don't bounce back like I used to either & me being a diabetic doesn't help matters. But we try to push ourselves anyway. Good that you're resting though so take it easy my friend

a few years ago I fell on the ice and broke my foot, I was in a cast for 12 weeks, happened in February and the cast didn't come off until May.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

ouch Linda!

That's tough Linda, glad I didn't break any bones. Did you have a walking cast, or use crutches?

I broke a bone in my ankle and the bone just before the toes, the bone that goes across the toes. I had to see an orthopedic surgeon every week at first and every time they gave me a different cast, but I could take it off to shower, they also gave me crutches but I couldn't use them, it was to awkward. They couldn't do anything with the broken bone by the toes so I had to wear a wooden shoe and the cast covered below the ankle and up a little bit. I wasn't supposed to drive but it was my right foot and I still had to take Phoenix for her run but I kind of sat in the car and kept an eye on her while she ran around, but it was a long three months. Plus I had some torn ligaments and was told that would take longer to heal that a tendon was worse than a break
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Did it heal completely Linda, any pain or weakness there today?

sometimes it bothers me, they wanted to rebreak and rebuild the foot but I said no, I'll live with it. That would have meant another 4 or more months in a cast which would have been a hard cast and I can't be like that for that long, I for sure wouldn't have been able to drive at all and there would have been no living with Phoenix

Linda, do you walk with a limp?

sometimes, if I stand to long or walk to much, otherwise I'm ok

Glad you recovered that well, I wouldn't have wanted them to rebreak it either.

Oh, Alpha! I am so sorry to read about your continuing troubles! Sounds like Linda's broken foot was bad, too. But most of us meet an incident/accident at some point in our lives. In early summer last year I was reversing with our rotovator, forgot a hedge was behind me....and the machine mangled my foot. By pure luck, one blade went between two toes, otherwise I would have lost at least one toe.

Get well soon, Alpha! For stressed muscles, I have found that the Ancient Minerals magnesium gel is the best.

LPC, I'm so happy to hear you came out of that one okay, it sounds like it could have been a VERY serious accident for you!

LPC...yipes...I'm sure that really hurt but glad you didn't lose a toe!

It took a couple of weeks at home for my knee to heal, then with limited walks I was able to get out again, by week 3, I can say I was 100%, but there is a twinge now and then when I do too much. I've been going to the park again for awhile, with my husband. I have to say I'm definitely extra paranoid about being hit into again by a fast running dog. The one that got me ran directly into the side of my knee, but many other dogs just accidentally brush up against you while chasing each other. Funny, they have big open fields, but ultimately will run back to the owners and on the road or path that they are on.

I have told a few dogs "easy' when they run too close to me now. Jokingly, my nephew told me that I should use a walker at the park with airbags strapped to the outside of it....not a bad idea.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.