Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Run In At The Dog Park

Unhappy Run In At The Dog Park

Was taking our usual walk in the dog park with our pup, and this dog charged towards us full speed, but instead of chasing my dog around he hit me directly in the side of my left knee. He hit hard. It hurt a lot, had to stop and regroup and see if I could move it around. It didn't feel like anything was broken, but it's definitely bruised inside and sprained. The side, back tendons and a little ways down the shin hurts when I walk. I limped and held onto my husband's arm for the rest of the walk.

Came home and it was just a little bit swollen, not too bad but still some pain when I walk. Not horrible pain or I'd suspect a torn ACL and be at the doctors now. But, I'm using a cane in the house and have it wrapped with ice pack and ace bandage, elevated now on a step stool. I also too 2 Aleve for the inflammation and pain.

Been going to that park for decades, and dogs run around all over. I've been lucky in the past, was bumped into at times but never was really injured. One lady we knew was knocked down by her own dog, and broke her hip. She came there for awhile with her husband and a walker, but she stopped coming, she was older and also had some other issues.

Another lady was sitting alone on a bench one winter with her leg up and her dog with her, nobody else around that day. I asked if she needed me to help her, but her husband was on the way in a car. All in all, I can't complain, it could have been much worse than it was, and the lady with the dog was very apologetic.

Phoenix hit me one time in the woods, it had rained and was all muddy and mushy, I told her we needed a bigger stick and off she went and brought back half a tree, she hit me in the back of the knees and down I went right in the mud, she stood over me wagging her tail and looked like she had a smile on her face.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Glad you didn't get hurt Linda, sounds like Phoenix got a kick out of it!

she is twisted, like her owner, finds things funny only if they happen to someone else
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Was taking our usual walk in the dog park with our pup, and this dog charged towards us full speed, but instead of chasing my dog around he hit me directly in the side of my left knee. He hit hard. It hurt a lot, had to stop and regroup and see if I could move it around. It didn't feel like anything was broken, but it's definitely bruised inside and sprained. The side, back tendons and a little ways down the shin hurts when I walk. I limped and held onto my husband's arm for the rest of the walk.
    Ouch. What a weird turn of events. Hope it will heal by itself soon.

At times like this, you have to remember it could have been even worse. A giant bat could have swooped down and carried you away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    Ouch. What a weird turn of events. Hope it will heal by itself soon.

At times like this, you have to remember it could have been even worse. A giant bat could have swooped down and carried you away.
    Or worse than that! Carried my Bigfoot away!!

LoL
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

OUCH is right! I guess we've all been there but luckily no broken bones.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I know Esme, happy there's nothing that seems to be broken.

How are you doing today?

Much better Esme, thanks for asking. The first day it swelled quite a bit by bedtime, but the next morning the swelling went down. I've been keeping it wrapped and using the cane around the house until today. Haven't been out anywhere walking on it, but it feels better today and not using the cane or wrap. No walks probably until next week, right now when I go down steps, like into the basement to clean the litter box, it's one step at a time, trying not to aggravate it with weight yet.

I'm grateful though that it wasn't any worse than it was. I do sit in the back yard on a folding chair and play fetch with the dog. I'm still limping, not to overwork it until it heals and the pain is almost gone.

Ohhhh @Alpha1 !!! I hope you will be okay, but please get to your doctor. Please, please get an MRI if you can and make sure it is okay.

We only have two knees and one acting up can be such a mess.

The dog park here requires all dogs be on leashes. That's not the norm there?

I hope you'll be okay!

Hugs
    Saav
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Thanks Saav! I'm much better now, slight swelling and discomfort if walking up stairs, etc., but not using a cane in the house or anything. Been home all week, will probably go for a walk again on Monday and see how things go. I wouldn't bother going to the park if they had to be on a leash, here's some pics of my past dogs (RIP), and other park pics.

Glad to hear you're better! Taking it easy really helps. Definitely could have been worse. These are lovely photos where all the dogs look happy!

Awwww @Alpha1 - happy pups!

That's an awesome dog park!

Feeling better? Hope so!

Hugs
    Saav
    Adopt a kitty and save nine lives.

They can't read or write, but they sure can multiply. Please spay or neuter your pet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.