NEW feline leukemia kitten shot

NEW feline leukemia kitten shot

There is a new feline leukemia shot now available for kittens. NEW means to me NO. The leukemia shot is not terribly effective anyway and bengals are NOT supposed to get it as it could cause full blown leukemia in them.

My vet asked me if I wanted it for Sandy, of course I said no, I don't do new shots and especially this one where a bengal isn't supposed to take it anyway.

So just a warning to anyone with kittens, stay away from NEW shots and unless you have an indoor/outdoor cat that comes in contact with other cats I would not do any leukemia shot at all.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Why is it especially bad for Bengals?
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

I don't know but I have a paper from the vet from the breeder that says absolutely no feline leukemia shot and no live virus or modified live virus is to be given to a bengal. And when I had my first bengal I was told the same thing by that breeder.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Can you Siamese get hte vaccine?
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

my cats are indoor, they don't come in contact with other cats that might have something, so I don't vaccinate them for anything other than core shots and of course the dreaded rabies.

What about FELV vaccinations?? While no vaccine is 100% effective, there are studies that show FELV vaccines are reasonably effective in preventing persistent FELV infection should your cat be exposed to this virus. These vaccines will cause an immune response that offers protection to most exposed cats, although occasionally, a vaccinated cat will become temporarily FELV positive for up to 12 weeks after exposure, yet not develop the clinical disease itself. Kittens can be vaccinated twice starting at nine to ten weeks of age, with the second dose given three to four weeks after the first. Thereafter, a yearly "booster" vaccination is recommended. Always check with your veterinarian first. There has been some controversy within the veterinary community about the possibility that using the FELV vaccinations currently available may actually increase the odds of certain corona viruses mutating into the dreaded FIP (Feline Infectious Peritonitis). Vaccinations, like any medical procedure, also carry risks, so it is important to carefully weigh the potential risks versus the potential benefits for each animal before administering any vaccine.

FeLV
    FeLV vaccinations are notoriously known to have a higher incidence of injection-site carcinomas and that's why this vaccine is highly discourage, especially since your kitten should be indoors only. Plus the benefit is rather minimal regardless because strong natural immunity to Leukemia builds up by 1 year and prevalence in the outside community has dropped substantially down to 5%.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.