Potty pads for young puppy

Potty pads for young puppy

My puppy, Tiny, is very young and small. She is Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix, so eventually she'll be a medium size to large dog... but right now is very small. She will be 8 weeks old this Saturday and I understand that it's very young for potty training. She goes every hour and she gets very cold very fast when we take her outside and then she won't go number 2. She potties the second you put her down outside but takes a few minutes to be ready to poo. If it's too cold she just cries and wants to go inside. I try putting a sweater on her and she just falls over or just messes with it, we're working on getting her used to the sweater.
    I'm trying to get her to use the potty pads occasionally because of the cold, but not really sure what to do to teach her to let me know when she has to go. I have other dogs but it's been so long since I potty trained them that I don't remember how I taught them and they're good about just holding it until we take them out. I could use any potty training advise you have, especially with such a young puppy!

A small puppy will get cold in fall or winter weather, and you can't really expect them to do #2 right away, they have to walk around a bit and sniff around for the right spot. Just put the sweater on her and get her mind off of it. Do you walk her on a leash to go potty, or is she loose? I never used pads, but used newspapers successfully.

Although my goal with all of the puppies I've ever shared my home with, was to have them do their 'business' in the back yard, I always started out training them with a combination of newspaper training in the house.

Even when they get the idea that they need to go out to potty, there will definitely be times where they don't let you know, or it catches THEM by surprise. I've always had success using this method, and have never had a dog who soiled the home as an adult.

I put down a small section of newspaper in the kitchen, near the back door. When first introducing a new pup to the home, I block off the entrance to the room, so they can't roam the house unless under close supervision. This is the key...to correct while in the act, and show them where they should go.

When they start to 'do the deed', snatch them up and calmly place them on the paper. When you pick them up, just say No...then when you place them on the paper, tell them 'you go here'. No anger needed. If she wets the hard floor, wipe it up with a paper towel and blot a little bit on the pad, so the scent is there.

Our furkids don't want to annoy us, or make us mad. What they crave is guidance and direction. They are very smart and will get the idea quickly.

Thank you for the advice. She occasionally goes on the potty pads without being put on it, but still learning. I usually leave one or two on the floor and let her use it once or twice before tossing it. If it's a clean pad and she potties on the floor I usually clean it up with the pad and then leave it for her to use. I know she's learning and we only discipline with saying "No" if she goes on the floor (if we actually catch her in the act), but it gets really frustrating and sometimes feels like we're going backwards. I have potty trained puppies before but don't remember it being so frustrating lol. I feel like I'm doing it right, but I've never had a puppy as young as her. The youngest I've started with is 9 weeks.

She is only 7-1/2 weeks old.

She is just a baby. It wasn't long ago when we were training our present puppy, he's not quite 2 1/2 yrs yet, but he's perfectly reliable and house trained. It was a lot of work for sure, but we were both home and retired, so it was a bit easier to guide him along the way. I think mine was 8 weeks. You're doing good if she's using the pads at all. You're not going backwards, accidents will happen, it's all part of the learning process.

I've always crate trained, get it done and overwith. I've had my shepherds trained in as little as three weeks, not to the point where I'd trust them unsupervised but they did know to signal me when they had to go out. I've never used newspaper or puppy pads. 8 weeks is not to young to start training. If she is not crated you need to watch for signs she has to go, if she starts sniffing around or kind of going in circles time to take her out, she will need to go out after a nap, after playing and about 15 minutes after eating. Take some of her poo outside and put it where you want her to go, that will stimulate her to go. Teach her words, like outside and go potty, if you catch her squatting say no, pick her up and say outside then say go potty. When she goes give her a treat and praise. She will learn the words quickly. If she has an accident in the house say nothing, just clean it up, if you scold, yell at her you will only succeed in making her afraid of you and she'll find corners to go in where you can't see her.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Your little puppy must be very cute I think she's too young to get use of the potty. Just continue training her. She will be used to it as she grows.

Quote Originally Posted by tressi85 View Post
    My puppy, Tiny, is very young and small. She is Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix, so eventually she'll be a medium size to large dog... but right now is very small. She will be 8 weeks old this Saturday and I understand that it's very young for potty training. She goes every hour and she gets very cold very fast when we take her outside and then she won't go number 2. She potties the second you put her down outside but takes a few minutes to be ready to poo. If it's too cold she just cries and wants to go inside. I try putting a sweater on her and she just falls over or just messes with it, we're working on getting her used to the sweater.
    I'm trying to get her to use the potty pads occasionally because of the cold, but not really sure what to do to teach her to let me know when she has to go. I have other dogs but it's been so long since I potty trained them that I don't remember how I taught them and they're good about just holding it until we take them out. I could use any potty training advise you have, especially with such a young puppy!
    Your little puppy must be very cute I think she's too young to get use of the potty. Just continue training her. She will be used to it as she grows.

She is pretty cute, and getting bigger every day!! I will love her the same always, just wish she would stay a baby a little longer (minus the accidents and chewing lol). I don't think I can add photos on a thread... but I'm going to make an album eventually, I just keep forgetting. We have 2 adult dogs and 2 puppies now, all girls! We're very busy to say the least lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathaniel3 View Post
    8 weeks old is not to young to start training. Easier to prevent a problem that try to stop it after it starts. If she gets used to going in the house you have to retrain her to go outside, so go the direct route, train her to go outside, end of problem
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    8 weeks old is not to young to start training. Easier to prevent a problem that try to stop it after it starts. If she gets used to going in the house you have to retrain her to go outside, so go the direct route, train her to go outside, end of problem
    Yes we are training her to go outside... she is young and it's difficult for her to fully understand but we are still working on it. She just can't hold it as long as the others and sometimes we have accidents. So I'm not giving up on it, we're just a little frustrated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by tressi85 View Post
    Yes we are training her to go outside... she is young and it's difficult for her to fully understand but we are still working on it. She just can't hold it as long as the others and sometimes we have accidents. So I'm not giving up on it, we're just a little frustrated with it.
    she can only hold it one hour for every month old she is

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.