Tips for clipping dogs nails

Tips for clipping dogs nails

How do you guys clip your dog’s nails? Mine just wouldn’t stay still!!!! No matter how much treat/toy I bribe her with and her nails grow pretty fast too it’s just so annoying to take her to the groomers all the time (she somehow let them cut her nail there) when it will be long again in a few days or so!

Thanks!

I use a clipper like this, it has a safety stop too if you want it. We have a grooming table at home, so I either hold his paw up from behind and clip the very tips only, or I'll lie him on his side and my husband will trim his nails while I hold him lightly so he doesn't move too much. If you have someone there to help out, it's easier.

I always did my dogs nails myself with a clipper like Alpha uses but with this one it took me half an hour to do one toe, not worth the aggravation, easier to pay the $10 and have the groomer do them.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Clipping nails can be challenging! Most of my cats are good because I incorporate sweet talk and treats but my Fluff Daddy is the absolute worst! As soon as he realizes what's happening he gets so worked up that I have to stop. I have to try to cut a nail or two when he's napping and just be patient with him.
    “Save a life and save a stray”

I do my cat's nails when he's already in a relaxed mood, lying around somewhere. If my husband is around, I'll lie the cat on the bed next to him, and he'll pet him and keep him calm. If I'm alone, I'll do the same with the cat, but if he starts to fuss and I'm not completely done with them all, I just remember where I left off and continue later when he's chilled out again. His front paws always get very sharp and pointy, the back claws not so much.

When I fostered a cat she would not let me clip her nails, so I always did it when she was sleeping.
    I do a podcast about pets with my sister called: FurBalls & DogBones - A great resource for all things pets!
    Help all the pets you can!

Quote Originally Posted by cherrymaydc View Post
    How do you guys clip your dog’s nails? Mine just wouldn’t stay still!!!! No matter how much treat/toy I bribe her with and her nails grow pretty fast too it’s just so annoying to take her to the groomers all the time (she somehow let them cut her nail there) when it will be long again in a few days or so!

Thanks!
    Yeah, I think I need some help from someone to either hold her or trim her nails while I am holding her. It just wouldn't work if I am doing it alone. thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I use a clipper like this, it has a safety stop too if you want it. We have a grooming table at home, so I either hold his paw up from behind and clip the very tips only, or I'll lie him on his side and my husband will trim his nails while I hold him lightly so he doesn't move too much. If you have someone there to help out, it's easier.

Quote Originally Posted by linda2147 View Post
    I always did my dogs nails myself with a clipper like Alpha uses but with this one it took me half an hour to do one toe, not worth the aggravation, easier to pay the $10 and have the groomer do them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Clipping nails can be challenging! Most of my cats are good because I incorporate sweet talk and treats but my Fluff Daddy is the absolute worst! As soon as he realizes what's happening he gets so worked up that I have to stop. I have to try to cut a nail or two when he's napping and just be patient with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    I do my cat's nails when he's already in a relaxed mood, lying around somewhere. If my husband is around, I'll lie the cat on the bed next to him, and he'll pet him and keep him calm. If I'm alone, I'll do the same with the cat, but if he starts to fuss and I'm not completely done with them all, I just remember where I left off and continue later when he's chilled out again. His front paws always get very sharp and pointy, the back claws not so much.

Thanks for the input everyone, I just hate the frequent trip to the groomers but I find that that is actually the easiest if no one is around to help me hold her. She wouldn't stay still not even for a minute lol

I don't go to groomers and try to do everything I can for my pets personally at home. Once I was at the vets and this lady had her dog's foot bandaged, she said they clipped the nails for her and damaged the nail pretty seriously somehow.

I use the same type of clippers as in the photo. I had to resort to wearing ski gloves to keep from getting bitten. I held her paw firmly which was really hard to do because she would scream at the top of her lungs and that made me feel like I was hurting her. But I didn't give in, a few days later the screaming stopped and after a few months I was able to take the gloves off.

By the way when taking your dog on a walk have her walk on the pavement as much as possible. That will keep her nails from growing too fast.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.