Is your dog on a leash while you are walking them?

Is your dog on a leash while you are walking them?

Do you put your dog on a leash while walking? I have a beagle and she is always on a leash when I walk her. I am just wondering what about you guys? Iíve seen quite a few ones that arenít on a leash and quite amazed that they wouldnít run off elsewhere. Mine would totally run away from me as far as away as possible I feel like. I am just asking because I totally want her to run around but I donít want to chase after her hahaha

Hi Cherrymay- Outside of the fenced yard, yes, always in a harness and leash over here. Even then I am constantly on guard for their safety on walks. Dogs can get out of a standard harness easily if they are determined and know how to back out. Also there are a handful of aggressive dogs on our walking route (no other way available) and tons of insane car and motorcycle drivers. I once spent 10 days looking for a lost dog (luckily successfully), years ago now, and I never want to go through that heart wrenching torture again. It's nice when people have safe areas and dogs that always with come back when called, even outside, but that isn't my situation here.

We take ours to a large dog park where the dogs can run loose. But on the street where I live or in other neighborhood parks, he's always on a leash. It protects him from traffic, or being chased by a loose dog or coyote, or attacked by an aggressive dog that gets loose from their yard or owner. In a rural country setting where there's rarely a car that goes by and lots of land to walk on, it's different, sometimes they can safely be let to roam loosely.

I seldom have Phoenix on a leash, to go to the vet she's leashed but generally no, she stays right beside me unless she running in the woods but she never goes out of my sight and comes when called. A beagle is a hound and they tend to follow their nose so I can see why you have to keep him leashed. And I put Phoenix on a least when I take her out at night because she's been skunk sprayed twice and I don't want a repeat of that.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

Quote Originally Posted by cherrymaydc View Post
    Do you put your dog on a leash while walking? I have a beagle and she is always on a leash when I walk her. I am just wondering what about you guys? I’ve seen quite a few ones that aren’t on a leash and quite amazed that they wouldn’t run off elsewhere. Mine would totally run away from me as far as away as possible I feel like. I am just asking because I totally want her to run around but I don’t want to chase after her hahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by Dog Force One View Post
    Hi Cherrymay- Outside of the fenced yard, yes, always in a harness and leash over here. Even then I am constantly on guard for their safety on walks. Dogs can get out of a standard harness easily if they are determined and know how to back out. Also there are a handful of aggressive dogs on our walking route (no other way available) and tons of insane car and motorcycle drivers. I once spent 10 days looking for a lost dog (luckily successfully), years ago now, and I never want to go through that heart wrenching torture again. It's nice when people have safe areas and dogs that always with come back when called, even outside, but that isn't my situation here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    We take ours to a large dog park where the dogs can run loose. But on the street where I live or in other neighborhood parks, he's always on a leash. It protects him from traffic, or being chased by a loose dog or coyote, or attacked by an aggressive dog that gets loose from their yard or owner. In a rural country setting where there's rarely a car that goes by and lots of land to walk on, it's different, sometimes they can safely be let to roam loosely.
    Thank you for sharing your input, guys! My beagle does the classic "moonwalk" and can get out of her harness easily. I tried a lot of brands, she's just too sneaky especially when she's curious about a scent or something.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha1 View Post
    Same with my dog, when I feel like it is not safe not use leash I just let him room around but on the busy streets I see to it that he's on a leash to ensure safety.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.