Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lemon/orange oil

Lemon/orange oil

Hi there, Some one told me that they mix lemon oil with water as a deterrent for their cat so it doesn't scratch an area, the thing is there is some info online that says that essential oils are bad for cats and dangerous is this true?

Molly has started to scratch the bedroom carpet during the night, she scratches near the cupboard door and near one side of the bed I put orange peel down and that seems to have stopped her for a few days but she is starting to do it away from the peel now, she will do it until I get up. She has scratching posts, boards etc she seems to do it to get me up even if I just get up and go into the living room and lay on the sofa this seems to be what she wants :/

She used to scratch the bed to get me up but only in the morning, I put a scratching board there and she doesn't do it now. I was thinking of mixing orange oil with water to spray the area but I'm scared it will be toxic, an alternative solution would be better. I have put her toys in the bedroom but she still does it. I am wondering as to why she does this as there must be a reason and what I can do to meet her need?

She never does it when I am awake and she never does it when my husband is in the bed asleep it seems to be only when I am in it asleep, she wants something from me, but what?

I would have a spray bottle filled with water handy, when she starts scratching where she shouldn't give her a squirt, after a few squirts she'll get the message, just leave the bottle where she can see it, she'll know what it is and doesn't like it so she will stop scratching where she shouldn't. The nice thing about the squirt bottle is its long range so you don't have to be to close to her to get her.
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

What did someone tell you about lemon and orange oils being toxic? Did you only get that information from word of mouth or follow up with research online? The person could be right but you have to verify the information if he/she is not a veterinarian.

Does Molly like catnip? You can buy catnip spray and apply it to her scratching board. Don't buy hte solid stuff unless you want a mess to clean up.
    Rescued is my favorite breed. Don't shop, adopt!

Hi some one told me about the essential oils then I researched it I will leave what I found at end of post, but you are right I should really ask my Vet, I will ask next week when I go for visit.

I have got catnip spray and catnip, I have Valerian but only in a few toys she prefers the Valerian to catnip. One of the toys have some Valerian root in the bag it came in to refresh it but I don't think its safe to let her sniff it or chew it. Maybe there is a Valerian spray or something I could try.

She has a scratching barrel in the bedroom and also a scratching mat up agaisnt the bed... maybe if I buy two of these and put them were she is scratching? https://www.floormats.co.uk/cat-scra...BoC4EkQAvD_BwE

Also will maybe try the squirt bottle, I really hate doing that though.

Wish I could speak cat and find what she needs.

--

Essential oil Info.

https://www.aspca.org/pet-care/anima...ehold-products

Essential Oils

Cats are especially sensitive to essential oils, and effects such as gastrointestinal upset, central nervous system depression and even liver damage could occur if ingested in significant quantities. Inhalation of the oils could lead to aspiration pneumonia. There are significant variations in toxicity among specific oils. Based on this, we would not recommend using essential oils in areas where your pets have access, unless pets are supervised or the use of the oil is approved by your veterinarian.

https://www.cats.org.uk/midsussex/ne...rapy--cats-mix

The psychological damage a strong aroma from an essential oil can have on such a scent-sensitive and scent-dependent species as the cat is also unknown. The use of essential oils for cats through inhalation, oral administration or topical administration therefore carries potential risks. Safe doses of oils administered through the different routes are also unknown. Treatment by aromatherapy is an act of veterinary surgery, and as mentioned above, it is illegal for non-veterinary surgeons to give such treatment. Furthermore, the use of essential oils in liquid pot-pourris – which may also contain detergents – around cats is also inadvisable – the American SPCA Poison Control Center cites numerous reports of toxic exposure to liquid pot-pourris: www.aspcapro.org/mydocuments/zh-toxbrief_1299.pdf

The pdf link they provide in the above link isnt working

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/richa..._b_877199.html

Some essential oils can cause liver and kidney toxicity in sensitive species. Cats use a different system in their liver to detoxify and are particularly sensitive to essential oils that contain polyphenolic compounds. These are so-called “hot” oils like cinnamon, oregano, clove, wintergreen, thyme and birch, which are oils that should be avoided in cats. Cats should not receive melaleuca oil, and never put essential oils into the ear canal as they can damage cats’ delicate ear drums and nerves. Care is needed around eyes as well. Always wash your hands after handling oils to prevent accidentally getting them into your eyes.

Oh I forgot the mention that Molly's behavior and the scratching started just after we had a decorator in to paint our living room, his dust sheets smelled bad and he also added something to the paint I gave him for the trim it was satin wood water based and the stuff he added to it looked like oil and made it smell like gloss it was really strong, despite me telling him about health and breathing issues and also providing the paint I wanted him to use. Maybe these strong smells have upset Molly.

I wouldn't use the oils, but I've also heard that cats don't like citrus scents. Maybe you can get a pure 100% Lemon juice and mix that with water to use instead. My cat scratched a little on my boxspring/mattress next to me at night when he was a kitten, but after pushing is paws sideways off and giving a firm "No!", he stopped the behavior.

They sell clear wide tape in pet stores called Sticky Paws, I bought a roll of it when he was a kitten, but found that he wasn't bothering anything I had covered with it, so I removed it. I had it on the bottom of my drapes and on my stereo speakers.

I have a few tight weave indoor/outdoor type mats with rubber backing that I bought for my kitchen floor which is a hard and really slippery vinyl. I bought them for my last dog who was old and had some arthritis issues so he wouldn't slip in winter when he tracked in snow, ice and mud. The cat likes to scratch on those and I let him, not a problem, so using a special rug might be a good idea. I bought those rugs at Lowes, which is a big hardware supply type store like Home Depot in the US.

I have used a small water squirt bottle when my cat was a kitten to keep him from going out the front door when we went in and out. It was effective and I only used it on medium spray, not hard stream.

I think something like lavender oil is okay to mix with water and spray on a dog's bedding or collar to calm them, but I don't know if I'd do that with a cat. Essential oils are strong, I wouldn't feel comfortable using them at all on the animal or internally, I'm not that knowledgeable about them to try that. I do put a drop of lavender oil on a cotton ball in my pillow case to sleep at night, and the cat and dog will sleep on or near the pillow with no problems.

They do say that putting orange, grapefruit or lemon rinds outside around your window areas will keep stray cats from visiting your yard, so in that sense the citrus works too. Another thing I read is that cats don't like walking on aluminum foil, so placing it in certain areas might help.

Are you sure that Molly isn't urinating a tiny bit on the spots she is scratching around? That is common behavior when they try and cover something. Sometimes the spot is so tiny it's hard to see without a black light. Just a thought that came into my head, so I thought I'd throw it out there.

The strong smells of the paint could have upset Molly too, but I don't know if that would bring on a scratching behavior. I would air out that room as best as I could, if you haven't done so already. You're smart to think about breathing and health when it comes to all things like paint, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleora View Post
    Oh I forgot the mention that Molly's behavior and the scratching started just after we had a decorator in to paint our living room, his dust sheets smelled bad and he also added something to the paint I gave him for the trim it was satin wood water based and the stuff he added to it looked like oil and made it smell like gloss it was really strong, despite me telling him about health and breathing issues and also providing the paint I wanted him to use. Maybe these strong smells have upset Molly.
    Could the paint odors you are complaining about smell good to cats? Cats who avoid the litterbox often pee in the same spot because of the ammonia odor they leave behind, so I guess it is possible.

More likely though is Molly hated the odor and is showing you she was mad about changes to the house. Cats are notoriously resistant to changes, even if they are just cosmetic or seem minor to us.

Alpha1 Thank you for all this its very helpful, she may have peed a tiny bit! because she was near that place when the decorator was in the living room! And she got a bit scared when he started rolling the ceiling. I will get a black light thing. Thanks. I really wish I could have just painted myself as I always do but I have had a slipped disk that caused sciatica so I cant anymore.

CatMom1994 Yes I think all her scent marks have been ruined, the smell of the paint really upset my husband he has copd. She is a lot better today and didn't scratch last night. She did it a little bit but then just went to sleep. I think she might want a flat surface to scratch so I will try that. And also look for piddle marks as she may have done a little.

Alpha, in my experience aluminum foil is a toy tears far more easily than anything else. I would never use it as a deterrant.

Eleora, has Molly been using the litterbox less often or only to poop?

Alpha1 Thank you for all this its very helpful, she may have peed a tiny bit! because she was near that place when the decorator was in the living room! And she got a bit scared when he started rolling the ceiling. I will get a black light thing. Thanks. I really wish I could have just painted myself as I always do but I have had a slipped disk that caused sciatica so I cant anymore.
    They should have at least used the paint you recommended for sure. I don't have a black light, but you might just thoroughly clean the areas on the rug where she's scratching, as long as the cleaner is not ammonia based, which smells like urine. After the area is clean (and thoroughly dry), you can sprinkle some baking soda on it, let it set a few minutes, then vacuum up. That should take care of any little drops of anything she might have let go of when she was scared.

We just had a new water heater installed in our finished basement, and the cat gets scared if strangers come over. That's the section of the house where his litter box is. So, I put a small temporary litter box in our bathtub in our bathroom upstairs on the main floor. When I guy came over, I made sure I secured the cat and kept him from going downstairs. He spent most of the hours the guy was there under our bed, but he did come out and use the litter box twice.....so that was good. He wouldn't have tolerated being loose in the same area with a stranger.

Sorry to hear you're suffering with a slipped disk, that must be very painful. And your husband too with the COPD, tough condition to live with I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Alpha, in my experience aluminum foil is a toy tears far more easily than anything else. I would never use it as a deterrant.

Eleora, has Molly been using the litterbox less often or only to poop?
    No just using same as always.

So I put a scratching mat there and she has been using it, she scratched the carpet near a bit, so I squirted water but not on her just in the air... last two nights no scratching carpet. Yay!

So I put a scratching mat there and she has been using it, she scratched the carpet near a bit, so I squirted water but not on her just in the air... last two nights no scratching carpet. Yay!
    Interesting. I had never heard of anyone doing that. What material is the mat made of?

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    Interesting. I had never heard of anyone doing that. What material is the mat made of?
    It's sisal, I think she wanted a flat surface to scratch. Oh I also put catnip on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.