How many scratching posts/mats

How many scratching posts/mats

Hi I am wondering how many scratching posts are enough? I guess it depends on the cat, Molly has a cat tree with sisal posts in the living room, a sisal post in the dinning room and a sisal barrel and mat in the bedroom. The kitchen hall and bathroom have none, but she doesn't scratch in there. Do you think this is enough to keep her happy she is an indoor cat.

It is not the number of scratching surfaces that matter, but the type. Some cats prefer carpet. Others like cardboard. Another option is seagrass. Sisal has a reputation of being more durable than carpet but that does not matter if Molly avoids the post or board.

What is a barrel post? I have seen horizontal, vertical, and diagonal scratching products. My cat Daisy prefers horizontal surfaces and would never use a post if she had one, but I read most cats prefer vertical posts.
    Keep your cats inside and safe.

I only have one for my cat, but he does go out in the yard for an hour or two when he wants to during the day, so he scratches on the trees, etc. If I kept him indoors all the time, I would at least have two good sized cat trees for him, preferably placed by windows so he could look out and enjoy them there. With your post in the dining room, barrel and mat, it sounds like you already have enough, but one more tree wouldn't hurt if you have enough room in your home. My house is small and my rooms are small, so floor space is limited.

I like that tree, but the top shelf looks too small for Loki.

This is what I meant by a barrel

Quote Originally Posted by CatMom1994 View Post
    I like that tree, but the top shelf looks too small for Loki.
    It might have just been that angle of the photo, this is one taken of him recently on the same scratcher. The ones I see in stores now might be taller, but I really haven't seen a larger platform area on them. But my rooms are small, I wouldn't be able to squeeze in a big wide scratcher in any of my rooms. He likes this one and uses it a lot, but he also lounges around on the chairs and couch, etc.

That barrel looks really cool.

O, I think you have enough stretching equipment for your cat. I have only small cat tree and mat like this one (with drawn cats) https://catspurfection.com/best-cat-litter-mats.html we use them in the living room. I just has put it on the floor and that's all. My cat very likes this mat. She is never use cat tree for claws attacks

I have one large tree and one flat mat, they don't scratch furniture so I guess they are satisfied with what they have
    he is your friend and protector, he will love you unconditionally, you owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion

I have several of these type of mats in the kitchen with rubber backing, I got them when my old dog Hans was having trouble with his arthritis, I didn't want him to slip on my kitchen floor in winter when there was snow and wet. I also have one in my camper.

My cat loves to use them for scratching and I let him. I've had them for several years and the weave is so tight, it gets no pulls from the cat scratching at all. They're kind of like an indoor/outdoor utility mat. This isn't the brand I bought, but I bought mine at a big box store, either Lowes or Home Depot. They also sell larger ones that are similar at Costco. Great for cat scratching.

I seconde rubber backed mats. Luke, my neighbor's cat, used to scratch the rubber doormat. No damage done to it.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.